Cooper/Warmack

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Vintage;5007362 said:
Im confused as to how people think two guards are going in the top 17... Even though the most bestestist guard prospect ever went 24th last year.

I would normally agree, but this is a weaker draft at the top end. Joekel would have had a tought time cracking the top eight a year ago.
In the end, I'm betting one of the two guards is available at #18.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Vintage;5007362 said:
Im confused as to how people think two guards are going in the top 17... Even though the most bestestist guard prospect ever went 24th last year.

They MAY go Top 15, but I (like you) find that highly unlikely.

On draft day, pass rushers rise, tackles rise, secondary rises, qb's rise, etc.

Mike Iupati rose like a rocketship leading into the draft and he still wasn't picked till 17th overall. And even then, the 49ers only pounced because they had taken an OT 7 picks earlier.

Speaking of which - props to the 49ers for having the testicular fortitude to spend two first rounders on the offensive line in a single draft. I couldn't even imagine Jerry allowing something like that, two first rounders and not a single one is going to be scoring touchdowns and starring in Papa John's commericals? He'd lose his mind.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;5007385 said:
I would normally agree, but this is a weaker draft at the top end. Joekel would have had a tought time cracking the top eight a year ago.
In the end, I'm betting one of the two guards is available at #18.

I have to agree with this, overall this draft appears to be soft so far at the top so the guards could actually rise this time. You have to look at the strength of a draft at premium positions in order to determine where players will fall early in that draft, and this draft is really weak at QB and CB (at least so far) so others will move up.

The grades are nowhere near finished but the top 5-6 players in last years draft would probably go in that order again in this draft with almost all these guys falling after them.

RS12

Reaction score
You can stop the Warmack/Cooper debate. Jerry said he is looking skill positions first. Lets hope for devine intervention.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
RS12;5007419 said:
You can stop the Warmack/Cooper debate. Jerry said he is looking skill positions first. Lets hope for devine intervention.

Smokescreens

RS12

Reaction score
Maxmadden;5007421 said:
Smokescreens

Dont think so. I always thought this draft would go 1) DL 2) S/skill 3) OL, now I really think that. I definitely dont think OL unless by some miracle Fisher or Johnson is there at 18. DL has to be round one because Spencer is gone and they didnt have the bodies there to start with.

RS12

Reaction score
» Jones reasons that the Cowboys can get by with lesser talent along the offensive line because of Romo's expert mobility. When forced to choose, the team will invest more resources in wide receivers and tight ends.

» Speaking of the salary cap and wide receivers, Jones said Miles Austin and nose tackle Jay Ratliff won't be cap casualties: "They're not that. ... Miles is very much in our plans." (Ian Rapoport reported earlier Saturday that Austin wasn't a cut candidate.)

» Jones sounds resigned to losing outside linebacker/defensive end Anthony Spencer if he hits the open market: "The number I have in mind is much less than he's going to take."

Say hello to your new 1st rounder Cordarell Patterson.

durrrr

Reaction score
it's silly to put any stock whatsoever in anything anyone says this time of year regarding the draft

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vintage;5007362 said:

most bestestist...

Gaede

Reaction score
Maxmadden;5007421 said:
Smokescreens

Every team knows every other team's needs.

I don't believe in smokescreens and I don't believe people at the top do either. They may try to hide interest in particular players, but they won't in regards to position.

Jerry's telling the truth.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Vintage;5007362 said:

They won't go in the Top 17. Neither one of those guys is that special, and no one wants to spend a Top 15 draft pick on a guard if there are guys at higher premium positions worthy of the pick. Warmack is a stubby fat plodding phonebooth mauler. There's nothing premium or unique about that skill set. You can find guys in the 3rd round who that skillset. Just take a big slow footed college right tackle and move him inside.

tm1119

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;5007480 said:
They won't go in the Top 17. Neither one of those guys is that special, and no one wants to spend a Top 15 draft pick on a guard. Womack is a stubby fat plodding phone booth mauler. There's guys like that every year.

You have no clue what youre talking about.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
tm1119;5007482 said:

People said that last year when I said "the bestestests guard who ever guarded" wouldn't get drafted with a Top 15 pick. Turns out I shot too high. Here's the thing about guards ... every college starts two of them, and most college tackles can be moved inside for the NFL. There's just more supply of people who can do that job compared to elite pass rushers, blinside tackles, cover cornerbacks and cataclysmic offensive playmakers. Look up the history. It's been well over a decade since a team took a guard with a Top 15 pick. A NFL team taking a guard with a Top 15 pick is an anomaly, I wouldn't count on two anomalies happening in the same year. Neither of these guys are in the Steve Hutchinson category of "all around" no brainer, and they both have holes in their game.

tm1119

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;5007487 said:
People said that last year when I said "the bestestests guard who ever guarded" wouldn't get drafted with a Top 15 pick. Turns out I shot too high. Here's the thing about guards ... every college starts two of them, and most college tackles can be moved inside for the NFL. There's just more supply of people who can do that job than elite pass rushers, cover cornerbacks and cataclysmic offensive playmakers. A NFL team taking a guard with a Top 15 pick is an anomaly, I wouldn't count on two anomalies happening in the same year.

Not arguing with you on where they will get drafted.....your ridiculous evaluation of Warmack is the part where you have no idea what you are talking about. I hope there was a lot of sarcasm in that post.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;5007487 said:
People said that last year when I said "the bestestests guard who ever guarded" wouldn't get drafted with a Top 15 pick. Turns out I shot too high. Here's the thing about guards ... every college starts two of them, and most college tackles can be moved inside for the NFL. There's just more supply of people who can do that job compared to elite pass rushers, blinside tackles, cover cornerbacks and cataclysmic offensive playmakers. Look up the history. It's been well over a decade since a team took a guard with a Top 15 pick. A NFL team taking a guard with a Top 15 pick is an anomaly, I wouldn't count on two anomalies happening in the same year. Neither of these guys are in the Steve Hutchinson category of "all around" no brainer, and they both have holes in their game.

This is exactly right. One of the guards might be off the board before Dallas picks, but it's unlikely. And we wouldn't take the other, anyway. We'll wait until the second, or even the third round to take one, depending how things shake out.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
tm1119;5007482 said:

He's right that guards drop but obviously has no idea about the talent.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
tm1119;5007492 said:
Not arguing with you on where they will get drafted.....your ridiculous evaluation of Warmack is the part where you have no idea what you are talking about. I hope there was a lot of sarcasm in that post.

What would be sarcastic? That Warmack is short, fat slow footed phone booth guy? He's all those things. He's 6'2", plays with a huge gunt hanging over his belt and he ran a 5.5 among the slowest of all offensive linemen at the Combine. He's going to struggle in the NFL in space blocking athletic linebackers on the 2nd level, he's going to probably be a liability in the screen game and he's going to be a bad fit in any zone blocking system. He's not nearly the all around player that Steve Hutchinson was who could dominate in-line and on the move. Again, those phonebooth blocker skillsets are just generally not that rare. You can take a big slow college RT and move him inside and provide that skillset. The Ravens have bookend guards doing exactly that.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;5007521 said:
You can take a big slow college RT and move him inside and provide that skillset.

Now why didn't we think of that?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
RS12;5007424 said:
Dont think so. I always thought this draft would go 1) DL 2) S/skill 3) OL, now I really think that. I definitely dont think OL unless by some miracle Fisher or Johnson is there at 18. DL has to be round one because Spencer is gone and they didnt have the bodies there to start with.

Then if you don’t have the bodies to start with (or very nearly) then you shouldn’t be attempting the move to a Kiffin 4-3 scheme in one year.

What happens if you don’t get the guys you want in the draft?