Could Cooper Rush be the catalyst that helps Trey Lance really become "the guy"?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Lance was not there to take Rush's job last season. He was there to learn. He was basically red shirted. Just like a few guys on defense that were drafted.
It was always about 2024 and possibly beyond, for Trey as well as several others drafted players.
If Lance does not play significant snaps in the regular season this season it will mean the trade the 49ers made to move up to draft him is one the most foolish transactions in NFL history. The Cowboys, comparatively, made a reasonable deal to take a chance on Lance. But if he’s not contributing this season it’s very obvious why he has not been signed to an extension. He’s been around San Francisco and Dallas long enough for coaching staffs to know if he can ever be a regular in the NFL.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure they are putting together a Lance friendly offense, just like they did for Dak in 2016.
Lance will roll out guns blazing. Will the rest of the offense be ready, that's MMs Achilles heal.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Lance does not play significant snaps in the regular season this season it will mean the trade the 49ers made to move up to draft him is one the most foolish transactions in NFL history. The Cowboys, comparatively, made a reasonable deal to take a chance on Lance. But if he’s not contributing this season it’s very obvious why he has not been signed to an extension. He’s been around San Francisco and Dallas long enough for coaching staffs to know if he can ever be a regular in the NFL.
One of the most foolish transactions in NFL history… really… :lmao2:

So SF giving up 3 1st rounders isn’t? Heck they gave up a 2nd and maybe more for Garaopolo also.

Giving up a 4th for a former 1st round pick is a very good trade For a team that needs to look for a future QB.
And no, there was no giar they would have used that pick on. A RB.

NotForLong

Reaction score
"I want this to be true so I dont care about how there is no evidence to back my claim and am going to ignore all evidence that disproves it". By every metric he played poorly unless the metric "good for a backup with a limited skillset".

I find it funny how when the stats do not back up what you want to be true, your decision is something must be wrong with the numbers versus your worldview. When GMs, coaches, and scouts, rank Dak as a top 10 QB (and Rush outside of the top 30 so probably somewhere in the 40s at best), you want to believe that there is grand conspiracy versus maybe the people who evaluate film and players for a living might be smart enough to recognize a simple fact that you are incapable of doing: Dak is a top 10 QB and Cooper Rush is an extremely limited QB whose skillset prevents him from being a starter. He is a good backup because you want your backup to have all of the mental game of a start which he does but he simply lacks the arm and the accuracy to succeed in the NFL.
I never ever ever ever quote stats. They re irrelevant in the modern game. They are for losers

All that matters is when the game is on the line the player steps up to the occasion

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If the Cowboys really are ready to move on from Dak, I dare say it will be Cooper Rush who will be the one who makes the difference in whether Trey Lance is able to step up. Rush was very successful in his time as the starter, and his leadership was felt by the entire team as they responded by winning five of the six games he started. While he may not have the arm strength that the Cowboys want in a starter, his ability to lead the offense was established as first rate. I can't see the Cowboys wanting to let him slip away in free agency, seeing as how he has proven that he can be the backup they need in case of an emergency.
With McCarthy stating that Lance will get a lot of the snaps in preseason, we very well could be seeing the Trey Lance/Cooper Rush show that the Cowboys hope to have after Dak is gone.
While he is running the offense along side Dak in practice, it's very possible that Rush’s tutuledge has been the reason that he is up to speed and ready to physically take the reigns of the McCarthy system.
So the 2024 preseason may well be a glimpse of the starter/backup system for years to come, and Cooper Rush may well be the constant that helps the Cowboys over the hump in getting rid of the disaster of the past eight seasons.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yeah, it had nothing to do with the bad call that stopped a drive, and nothing to do with Gallup's alligator arms and how he didn't fight for the ball.
And it certainly had nothing to do with the defense allowing the Eagles to run out the clock and possess the ball in the second half so that the Cowboys offense didn't get the ball.
As usual you want it to be Rush’s fault completely, as if no other quarterback ever lost a game.
Rush outplayed Dak; it's that simple.
so essentially it was everybody else's fault but Rush. including the defense, who didn't bail him out like the other 4 games. just like you said.

I never said it was Rush's fault. as all you Dak haters are exactly the same. everyone has to hate dak, 24x7x60x60, incessantly, obsessively, if they don't then they must be Dak supporters.
and then everyone has to just Gush over Rush, about everything, pointing fingers at everybody else just like you did else, they are a Dak supporter.

I never said it was all Rush's fault. that's your predetermined response right there. I said the Defense played outstanding giving up 13 points a game. and won us the games. when the defense couldn't. then Rush couldn't muster up the offense to win a game. tell me where that's false (let me help you. nowhere, but go searching).

and show me statistics on how he outplayed Dak?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
*IF* he plays well enough, yes. And that should elate you. Somehow I have the feeling you'll be sad.
if he plays at an elite level I would eat crow plateful at a time (unlike you all who will never admit you have ever been wrong on anything).

but if he plays good enough, then what's the point. more of the same. you cry night and day Dak is not elite and in this case you would replace him with another non elite QB? really!?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's not what they've seen that shows potential, it's what they haven't seen that suggests potential. What did he play, 3 games for the 49ers?
no, 10 games. 5 each year....so there is that. and then preseason. and then 2 years of practices.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
To be Dak's replacement. That is what it really comes down to.
he is not elite. by no means. so why replace a non elite QB with another one? what's the point.

yeah yeah yeah, all the cap dollars and all those players we can sign. yet last year we had 15M on the cap and the year befor 20M. where are those players then?

and if he sucks. and leads to a top 5 pick. then so be it.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
One of the most foolish transactions in NFL history… really… :lmao2:

So SF giving up 3 1st rounders isn’t? Heck they gave up a 2nd and maybe more for Garaopolo also.

Giving up a 4th for a former 1st round pick is a very good trade For a team that needs to look for a future QB.
And no, there was no giar they would have used that pick on. A RB.
I said the 49ers trade was foolish and the Cowboys deal was comparatively reasonable. Your response is definitely ”foolish”.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
If the Cowboys really are ready to move on from Dak, I dare say it will be Cooper Rush who will be the one who makes the difference in whether Trey Lance is able to step up. Rush was very successful in his time as the starter, and his leadership was felt by the entire team as they responded by winning five of the six games he started. While he may not have the arm strength that the Cowboys want in a starter, his ability to lead the offense was established as first rate. I can't see the Cowboys wanting to let him slip away in free agency, seeing as how he has proven that he can be the backup they need in case of an emergency.
With McCarthy stating that Lance will get a lot of the snaps in preseason, we very well could be seeing the Trey Lance/Cooper Rush show that the Cowboys hope to have after Dak is gone.
While he is running the offense along side Dak in practice, it's very possible that Rush’s tutuledge has been the reason that he is up to speed and ready to physically take the reigns of the McCarthy system.
So the 2024 preseason may well be a glimpse of the starter/backup system for years to come, and Cooper Rush may well be the constant that helps the Cowboys over the hump in getting rid of the disaster of the past eight seasons.
Dream on............ Trey Lance is not going to be the answer.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You see people...this guy cares more about stats than wins. Not surprising.
oh, little boy things he is so clever...

so given you are fairly new to football. in the pat 5 years any team that ranked 22nd or worse offensively never made it to playoffs.

but yeah, I get you. I get your agenda. its not about Cowboys. its about Dak...in your head 24x7x60x60. you would rather see Dallas Lose with Dak than win.

not surprising. you are well known about this.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
oh, little boy things he is so clever...

so given you are fairly new to football. in the pat 5 years any team that ranked 22nd or worse offensively never made it to playoffs.

but yeah, I get you. I get your agenda. its not about Cowboys. its about Dak...in your head 24x7x60x60. you would rather see Dallas Lose with Dak than win.

not surprising. you are well known about this.
Little boy things?

LOL....