Could Jarwin be a top 3 TE this year

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Blake bell played snaps last year, but schultz still got 89 targets.

If jarwin is healthy, it is an assumption that the # 2 or # 3 WR will get targets over him. I think Dak will throw to whoever is the biggest mismatch, and beacuse of the coverage on the WR's, a lot of games, that might be jarwin

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could Jarwin be top 3 in yards this season for a TE?

2020 TE stats

1. Kelce 1416 yards
2. Waller 1196 yards
3. Hockenson 723 yards
11. Schultz 615 yards

With everyone coming back from injuries this year, the cowboys offense should have lots of fire power. Before jarwin went out with injuries he was starting to be a real threat.

Cooper, Gallup, and Lamb have to be covered. Zeke is a threat that has to be accounted for. That should leave jarwin with less focus.

There are only so many balls to go around, and Kittle was out a lot of last year, but does anyone think Jarwin could be top of the league next year?

With a horrible offense, Schultz was 109 yards off from number 3 last year.

If Jarwin is healthy, I think he has a chance at 1000yards
They aren't just going to put Schultz to pasture after what he did last year, so there is no way Jarwin would get enough of the TE targets to get 1,000. On top of that, how would their be room for that anyway on a team with Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Schultz and 2 quality receivers at RB to throw to? There is a limit on how many passes there are to go around.

If jarwin is healthy, it is an assumption that the # 2 or # 3 WR will get targets over him. I think Dak will throw to whoever is the biggest mismatch, and beacuse of the coverage on the WR's, a lot of games, that might be jarwin
Blake Bell was never considered a receiving TE. Schultz now is. Barring injury Schultz is certain to get a lot more targets than Bell did.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I think TE will get some opportunities and have the chance to make key plays, the difference is neither are guys players who are major keys to the offense like a Kelce where a lot of their offense does center around him. I think getting 40 to 50 catches is about where one of them will be able to put up. Where as Kelce and some other TE are likely looking at 100 plus catches.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
They aren't just going to put Schultz to pasture after what he did last year, so there is no way Jarwin would get enough of the TE targets to get 1,000. On top of that, how would their be room for that anyway on a team with Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Schultz and 2 quality receivers at RB to throw to? There is a limit on how many passes there are to go around.

Blake Bell was never considered a receiving TE. Schultz now is. Barring injury Schultz is certain to get a lot more targets than Bell did.

Why would schultz not get put to pasture the majority of the time? Jarwin is more of a threat. If he is healthy, why would you take snaps away from him

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Why would schultz not get put to pasture the majority of the time? Jarwin is more of a threat. If he is healthy, why would you take snaps away from him

How so? both the same size have the same speed at 4.7 yet Schultz had more receptions last year than Jarwin has for his career. I like Jarwin but I don't think he is any more talented than Schultz. Schultz was a 4th rd pick and Jarwin an UDFA

joseephuss

Reaction score
Here are the guys that should produce more than Jarwin....for starters and not including the rookies

Kelce
Waller
Kittle
Geisicki
Hockenson
Fant
Henry
Thomas

and most of these guys are also young on the rise.

It depends on health--his and theirs--on where he finishes. Top 8 would be great.
Shultz was 11th among TEs last year

and I'm leaving out others that might be close

But hey, if Jarwin gets 900 yards (not expecting it) and our WRs combine for another 3000 then it should be fun to watch

also...I forgot that we can bump old numbers up some due to one extra game.

Yep, I'm not epecting 900 yards from Jarwin, nor do I think Dallas needs that type of production from him alone to be effective.

Is Hunter Henry still considered a top level tight end? He has yet to play a full 16 game schedule and has not gone over 650 yards in a single season. He hasn't put together a high level season even though he looks like he could be a very good tight end.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't think Schultz last year proved he can be a valuable receiver? Seriously? You said yourself he wasn't that far behind the TE that was #3 in receiving yards, and that was with him not beginning the season as the starter, and with him playing with a backup QB most of the season.

As far as Jarwin being more of a threat, it may be true he is more of a downfield threat, but it remains to be seen what he can do as an all around TE or in a bigger role than he has had in the past. Even so, why would you think it's only possible to incorporate one TE as a receiving threat, or that 2 TE sets with both being available for targets might not be used sometimes? A team is better off if it uses multiple weapons for the defense to account for. Gallup is more of a downfield threat than Lamb, but that doesn't mean there isn't a significant role for Lamb.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
You don't think Schultz last year proved he can be a valuable receiver? Seriously? You said yourself he wasn't that far behind the TE that was #3 in receiving yards, and that was with him not beginning the season as the starter, and with him playing with a backup QB most of the season.

As far as Jarwin being more of a threat, it may be true he is more of a downfield threat, but it remains to be seen what he can do as an all around TE or in a bigger role than he has had in the past. Even so, why would you think it's only possible to only use one TE as a receiving threat, or that 2 TE sets with both being available for targets might not be used sometimes? A team is better off if it uses multiple weapons for the defense to account for. Gallup is more of a downfield threat than Lamb, but that doesn't mean there isn't a significant role for Lamb.

Schultz was valuable last year, and I enjoyed watching him.

I would play a healthy Jarwin over Schultz. And as far as all around TE, I don't understand why people attribute Schultz to that over Jarwin

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schultz was valuable last year, and I enjoyed watching him.

I would play a healthy Jarwin over Schultz. And as far as all around TE, I don't understand why people attribute Schultz to that over Jarwin
Playing Jarwin, even if more than Schultz, doesn't require Schultz not playing a meaningful role. It is actually possible, and not unusual, to play 2 TE sets, and if a team has 2 TEs that can both have an impact catching passes why wouldn't they embrace it and use more weapons for the opposing defense to account for?

And I didn't say Schultz was a better all around TE, I said we don't know. You treat Jarwin as a proven entity, and the reality is he hasn't yet played a significant enough role for him to be proven.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score

2020 TE stats

1. Kelce 1416 yards
2. Waller 1196 yards
3. Hockenson 723 yards
11. Schultz 615 yards

With everyone coming back from injuries this year, the cowboys offense should have lots of fire power. Before jarwin went out with injuries he was starting to be a real threat.

Cooper, Gallup, and Lamb have to be covered. Zeke is a threat that has to be accounted for. That should leave jarwin with less focus.

There are only so many balls to go around, and Kittle was out a lot of last year, but does anyone think Jarwin could be top of the league next year?

I don't think either Jarwin or Schultz sniffs 1000 yards this year.. And as you point out, Kelce, Kittle and Waller are already better than him and I don't see him leapfrogging any of those guys as the 4th or 5th option in our offense. I also think that Pitts, by virtue of being somewhat higher on the pecking order of targets in the Falcons offense will surpass what Jarwin does.. Especially if they end up trading Julio..

Jarntt

Reaction score
Can he? Yes. Will he? Very, very little chance of that. He is going to rotate some with Schultz after what he did last year and also we have 3 WRs that are going to be high volume players.
All that being said, I love Jarwin. Every time I see the defense in two deep with him on the field I watch for him to run that seam route right up the middle.

pgreptom

Reaction score
I doubt we have anything #1 but a WR. Zeke won't be #1. I doubt a TE will get more than 50 rec with these WRs.

Kwyn

Reaction score

2020 TE stats

1. Kelce 1416 yards
2. Waller 1196 yards
3. Hockenson 723 yards
11. Schultz 615 yards

This post is amazing

I give him a zero percent chance of being top three