Could Ronald Jones be primary backup RB?

Shane612

Reaction score
I hope no one forgets about Malik Davis.
He looked pretty good when he played last season.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys heavily ran down Zeke's back for several years, because they did not really want any other RB on the field , except Zeke.
And of course that is the leading reason that caused the quick decline and release of Zeke, at the age of 27.

With the potential of wear n' toll with starting backs, touches-contribution needs to be diverse at least with your first two backs, imo.
That starter needs to have specialty that demand he gets the front running "touches".. a combined total of both rush/receiving,.. and you don't let him alone
handle blitz-blocking duties. That area also has to be distributed among RB unit.
Some people don't realize that even absorbing blitzes in pass blocks also tends to take a toll long term.

Maybe Jones is not wow flashy explosive as a Vaugh, but he could have the vet experience and bigger, physical presence in the situations and areas that they prefer to have as a No.2.
And I’ve always felt that the club really preferred a vet RB to pair with new starter Pollard – and they were gonna seek out a veteran RB, even if they added another draftee RB.

That doesn’t mean Vaugh sits the bench. Give in due time, he’'ll come to proving as good as advertised, he will definitely still get his spots, packages and occasions.
But it is so key and vital that the coaches to know how and when to use him, know how to max his skill set while also how to best mask his limitations.

Some NFL coaches truly do not know how to do that. -.. and we’ve even experienced that here.
I believe you are correct in describing the Cowboys plan for the RB position.

However, I'm very concerned that the team will revert back to some pre-Zeke issues that was really detrimental to their ability to move ahead and that is the short yardage and red zone situations.

Also, in games where they have less than a TD lead in the 4th quarter, they will want to run the ball and take time off the clock. Those are going to be very hard fought yardage that must be gained so the QB isn't forced into dangerous 3rd and long plays.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He’s been the no.2 RB in Super Bowl winning teams. I don’t see why he couldn’t be that guy for us.
I don’t get why people are writing him off. I forget about him at times but the guy has produced and at a high level. We better hope he makes this team.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Eight pages of nothing. Welcome to May on an NFL fan forum. :rolleyes:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ronald Jones is a jag, he would be a big downgrade over Zeke. He might not even make the team. We better come up with a solid answer to replace Zeke’s or it could lead to problems during the season when it comes to moving the chains in short yardage situations and punching the ball into the endzone..

Or they might just ask Zeke to come back for this season

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Vaughn is a lock, because Jerry will see to it that he makes the team regardless how he looks in camp. There was far too much emotion drafting him to turn around and cut him. They’ll find a role for him as a returner and have a few gadget plays for him. They may put him in the slot to give him some receiving opportunities. He’ll be here for at least one season.
So if he makes the team it won't be because he actually deserved and earned it?
Like any other player.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So if he makes the team it won't be because he actually deserved and earned it?
Like any other player.
I guess we’ll find out this summer from what we hear during training camp reports and what we see in preseason games. He’s going to be given every opportunity to find a niche with this team.

quickccc

Reaction score
This Durbin kid is interesting. Yes, smaller school and all that. But he was a pretty effective return guy in college.

Has decent size and speed. If he can show anything at WR, he could be in play for that 5th spot. And perhaps be in consideration for replacing Turpin. And that would free up a roster spot. Not sure if Tolbert returned punts in college. I think the DB we drafted returned punts.

The Cropper kid I think did it. Hes a Turpin clone. Maybe he offers more as a WR than Turpin.

I get that Vaughn is all the rage right now. True under dog. Feel good, me so happy story.

But there will be some other, imo, realistic battles going on.

LB - Cox is out I think. Clark, Harper, Overshown and a couple UDFA guys
5th WR - Guys I mentioned above
Corner - Do Joseph and Wright even make it this year
DL - Who will be the odd man out? I think Gallimore is gone.

And yes, VaughN. Cant wait to see these boards explode after the first PS game. Good times ahead.
I see the usual 6 WRs:

1 Lamb
2 Cook
3 Gallup
4 Turpin
5 Tolbert ?
6 Callaway ?

quickccc

Reaction score
Eight pages of nothing. Welcome to May on an NFL fan forum. :rolleyes:
yet heed to those who are still interested enuff to eight pages of nuthin to still listen, read and dare post .... :muttley:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
And thus that would create the politics and controversy that this team really doesn't need.

That would be like keep going on and on with old creaky dead legs Jason Witten ....
I know, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't cross Jerry's mind anyway.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Assuming that Vaughn and Luepke would both be poached from the practice squad, they will both make the final 53 if Dallas likes what they see. Pollard makes 3.

Since neither Vaughn or Luepke is an every down back, Dallas has to keep a fourth as Pollard's backup. Davis is the odd man out unless he can beat out Jones.

4 RB's is a full room- but Luepke's versatility earns him a spot and likely limits the team to 3 TE's.

The game day roster is tricky. Do they bring all four active?
if this team NEEDS more then schooner, Furgeson, and Hendershot, we must be planning on running an old school all run offense.. that all you need unless injuries take toll then you adjust at that time to team's needs.. given those backs, ones a FB hybrid short yardage guy and the other 3 are all RBs with different skillsets that a good mix.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Ronald Jones is a jag, he would be a big downgrade over Zeke. He might not even make the team. We better come up with a solid answer to replace Zeke’s or it could lead to problems during the season when it comes to moving the chains in short yardage situations and punching the ball into the endzone..
Yep, ....there's a reason after just a handful of years in the league, he is on his third team already. Very limited amount of action last year with KC and not brought back. If they hope on having him as primary backup to Pollard or carry his load if not available then we will be in deep doodoo.....

blueblood70

Reaction score
Compared 3 months vs what could have been an ACL or Achilles tendon.

Pollard injury did not come up until that point. And he's not Thanos, he can be physically hurt like any other RB, even the very well regarded RBs that have their
share of injuries.

But what is important now that Pollard is the clear front runner starter, is that we do everything in our very power not to contribute matters that could lead to potential injuries,
..meaning how to best distribute and rationalize touches and reps among our RB unit to lessen the wear 'n tear toll on Pollard.

And BTW, since you're hypothetically mentioning the " what if he missed 3 months if we needed him " ... that is exactly why you really need the reserve backs to be very
capable of filling in and have some kind of effectiveness to be factors in a game.

Of course, the reserves will not be on the same level of skill set as Pollard, but do they anything in their own skill set to where they have something to where they can be effective
enough on some sort ?

Other backup reserve examples:
- if Nick Chubb out … could Browns resort to Kareem Hunt or D’Earnest Johnson
- If Packers Aaron jones is out … AJ Dillion ?
- If Chiefs Isiah Pacheco is out, .. could backup Jerick McKinnon ?
- If Ravens JK Robbins out ,,, Gus Edwards ?
- If Davin Cook is out .. Alexander Mattison ?
- Exit Miles Sanders ('22) ,,,, enter Kenneth Gainwell or Boston Scott ?
- When RB McCaffrey was out (per Panther final dayz) .. enter D’Fonta Foreman
- Ditto David Montgomery out … enter Khali Herbert
no you guys are overthinking this, Jones is that guy in way you forget to mention he was that guy behind Fournette and in KC whomever was in front of him.. plus add in Vaughn, hunter, malik or Dowdle who whichever is cut can be brought back..

OR easy enough there is large list of vet RBs on the street now and more later.. ironic you mention cooks hes ben on the trade/cut list for sometime. MN doesn't seem worried about running shorty of a RB room. Raven you forget their best RB in Lamar :muttley: oh and BTW also ironic that after CM left to go to SF the run game got better in Carolina they nearly overtook TB with a great ground game which was RBBC..

again overthinking. KC didn't have much of room name or depth wise going into the season at RB and they did quite well , we will be fine.

BTW the bets way to have confidence in the run game is 1. the correct Plays called at the right time by a better play caller 2. the offensive line and the lines OLC schemes the run blocking better

that will be key to good run game not finding an elite back to overcome the deficiency's up front, again need proof see i posted even TP had sharp decline last year over the last 6 games not just zeke..why umm see above..

TP was far from effective or impressive the last 6 games he played 3.8 YPC, 51YPG no TDs, and no explosive plays. id say lets get the run game fixed up front. that was the issue both passing and running last year against he better Ds. was pretty clear but fans blamed the rbs and qbs the skill players forgets it starts and ends up front and we did NOT finish strong in the OL or play calling.

quickccc

Reaction score
I hope no one forgets about Malik Davis.
He looked pretty good when he played last season.
based off flashes and glimpses of last year's camp and reg. season, as well as contributing to special teams ,.. I think he has a good chance of making the team again.

Earlier on I see us keeping 4 RBs (pollard, deuce, jones and malik) ..if hunter surprises and looks like John Kuhn type FB (not big RB) and can contribute to special teams as well.
he will change the dynamics with the RB number, if not he's cut and brought to practice squad for a year. (as what we've done with past few FBs it seems)