Could Ronald Jones be primary backup RB?

quickccc

Reaction score
Why is bulking up such a heinous crime now?

Dont do it Micah. Dont do it Tony.

Every player is different. Every body different. Pollard has already bulked up to 215+. Didnt slow him down last year.

You want your best players playing. Get into shape. The best ones do it. You have no idea if he can or cant still be productive playing 40-45 snaps a game. I bet he thinks he can.
Micah doesn't carry the ball ... and Pollard came into the league listed at 210.

Plus the last time coaches here asked a starting RB to bulk up for the sake of carrying more of a bigger load and more wear-tear toll punishment ..that RB, at still a young age,. lost what made him so unique and feared among opposing defenses, .. his home run breakaway speed, and what ultimately led to his release.

Not every player is made and built for added bulk. it can vary and affect players differently, imo.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Last year? Keep proving your ineptitude.

Now at least bring up the fact that he was inactive for quite a few games. And we can discuss why that was.

2, 3 years ago he was a very serviceable back. He's low mileage and low priced.
His last season of having more than 100 caries, he had a whopping 4.1 YPC on 101 runs. That should be HIGHER with less carries. His longest that season was 30. His longest reception was 15.

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Why is bulking up such a heinous crime now?

Dont do it Micah. Dont do it Tony.

Every player is different. Every body different. Pollard has already bulked up to 215+. Didnt slow him down last year.

You want your best players playing. Get into shape. The best ones do it. You have no idea if he can or cant still be productive playing 40-45 snaps a game. I bet he thinks he can.
Because bulking impacts speed and burst? It impacted BOTH Murray and Zeke. Murray was nowhere near what he was in college when he bulked up and Zeke slowed once he bulked up after his rookie season.

You either bulk up an RB if you think they'd be more effective as a bruiser or you keep them at a lesser weight and limit their carries. Pollard does not have the frame to be what you're asking him to be, he will not make it through the season either due to injury or his body wearing down.

rags747

Reaction score
Looks fine to me, our holes will be so large it won’t matter!

BlindFaith

Reaction score
- Turpin has shown why he is on the roster, imo. He may not have scored on a run back in '22, but he's clearly shown how his burst, and open field run skills can flip the field in an instant.
Had he more balance and his tiny legs had more lower body strength, he would have had several TD runbacks. He does get tripped up too easily.

- Vaugh is getting trained and taught to return punts. Something he did not do in college. It's a wait and see with this PR duties.
But we really do need a backup punt returner in the event that Turpin gets hurt ...I do not want to see Lamb having to be forced into that duty anymore.

Deuce would have to be utter disastrous from beginning to end - cannot do anything right in entire summer (constant fumbles, blown assignments, a ton of drops,
just showing no speed or run vision) ... or forbid it that he suffer some kind of serious injury (injury reserve) for him not to make the 2023's 53 roster team.
And I just could not see that at all for a gamer that balled out in Division I ball against the likes of 'Bama...
This Durbin kid is interesting. Yes, smaller school and all that. But he was a pretty effective return guy in college.

Has decent size and speed. If he can show anything at WR, he could be in play for that 5th spot. And perhaps be in consideration for replacing Turpin. And that would free up a roster spot. Not sure if Tolbert returned punts in college. I think the DB we drafted returned punts.

The Cropper kid I think did it. Hes a Turpin clone. Maybe he offers more as a WR than Turpin.

I get that Vaughn is all the rage right now. True under dog. Feel good, me so happy story.

But there will be some other, imo, realistic battles going on.

LB - Cox is out I think. Clark, Harper, Overshown and a couple UDFA guys
5th WR - Guys I mentioned above
Corner - Do Joseph and Wright even make it this year
DL - Who will be the odd man out? I think Gallimore is gone.

And yes, VaughN. Cant wait to see these boards explode after the first PS game. Good times ahead.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
They made a huge fuss over drafting him because his dad works for the team now they’re stuck with him for a season. I’ve never seen a post draft presser with so many tears shed over a selection. it’s still going to be awkward for them to move on from whenever that time happens. There should be an opportunity for him at the very least as a returner on KO’s. Not having Zeke and Pollard coming back from an injury may give him some opportunity as a runner.
Personally, as I said before, him landing on the practice squad is a win win for everybody. Still technically on the team but not taking up one of the 53. He can work on his returns. See if he can handle practice team RB for a year.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Micah doesn't carry the ball ... and Pollard came into the league listed at 210.

Plus the last time coaches here asked a starting RB to bulk up for the sake of carrying more of a bigger load and more wear-tear toll punishment ..that RB, at still a young age,. lost what made him so unique and feared among opposing defenses, .. his home run breakaway speed, and what ultimately led to his release.

Not every player is made and built for added bulk. it can vary and affect players differently, imo.
You talking about Zeke? He put on bad weight. Just adding weight isnt what I mean about bulking up. Unless you're talking about O or D linemen.

And Zeke slowed down because he took a pounding. His knees are shot.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Personally, as I said before, him landing on the practice squad is a win win for everybody. Still technically on the team but not taking up one of the 53. He can work on his returns. See if he can handle practice team RB for a year.
Practice squad is always a possibility, but I feel almost certain he’ll make the 53. There’s a number of ways he could be used.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Because bulking impacts speed and burst? It impacted BOTH Murray and Zeke. Murray was nowhere near what he was in college when he bulked up and Zeke slowed once he bulked up after his rookie season.

You either bulk up an RB if you think they'd be more effective as a bruiser or you keep them at a lesser weight and limit their carries. Pollard does not have the frame to be what you're asking him to be, he will not make it through the season either due to injury or his body wearing down.
Are you a physiologist too?

So by your rational, if you're a skill player you should never work out because adding muscle just slows you down. Ok Tom Brady.

Now what can happen when guys add muscle is that they dont add in a cardio, stretching and explosion element to their training. Added muscle needs to be trained to be explosive.

Just adding fat, no bueno. Again, unless you are a big ugly.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Practice squad is always a possibility, but I feel almost certain he’ll make the 53. There’s a number of ways he could be used.
So who does he replace? Dont just say hes a lock and can be used in a number of ways.

Who is cut so he stays? Ive provided multiple scenarios where he may have a chance. Primary returner being his best. That means Turpin is gone or none of the rookies are better.

Is that what you're saying? That Turpin is cut? If not, then tell me who does get cut. Dont just prognosticate... Elaborate.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So who does he replace? Dont just say hes a lock and can be used in a number of ways.

Who is cut so he stays? Ive provided multiple scenarios where he may have a chance. Primary returner being his best. That means Turpin is gone or none of the rookies are better.

Is that what you're saying? That Turpin is cut? If not, then tell me who does get cut. Dont just prognosticate... Elaborate.
We’re not going to find out who he replaces until training camp because it’s going to take camp and preseason to figure out his role. That’s where decisions will be made. I feel certain he will be on KO returns, which could make Turpin expendable if they decide to go with Vaughn on punt returns as well. It was reported that he was fielding punts during rookie camp. If you put Vaughn on the practice squad, he could be poached, so he’ll make the 53. The decision to draft him wouldn’t have been made if they didn’t feel they had a role for him. The team isn’t going to make this big fuss over drafting him then turn around and cut him this summer.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Rotate, rotate, rotate... platooning your RBs and having different packages for different defensive looks is a huge advantage.
The glory days of the every down dominant back.. Emmitt, Sanders, etc. have faded and having versatility in the backfield preserves who you have there.
You can only rotate if the players you have to rotate are any good. Don't know the answer to that question yet. Right now, what we know is that Pollard was really good before the injury.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
We’re not going to find out who he replaces until training camp because it’s going to take camp and preseason to figure out his role. That’s where decisions will be made. I feel certain he will be on KO returns, which could make Turpin expendable if they decide to go with Vaughn on punt returns as well. It was reported that he was fielding punts during rookie camp. If you put Vaughn on the practice squad, he could be poached, so he’ll make the 53. The decision to draft him wouldn’t have been made if they didn’t feel they had a role for him. The team isn’t going to make this big fuss over drafting him then turn around and cut him this summer.
He was basically a 7th round pick. They hadnt drafted a RB yet. He very well may have been the best available at that point. Add in his dad. Sure, pick the guy. See what he can do.

I highly doubt they were sitting on the clock deriving offensive packages for him and getting Turpin release papers written up.

If he is this unstoppable, amazing, super star talent ya'll are making him out to be, then he'll make the team.

If he comes up short, then he'll be on the PS and no one will pick him up.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Are you a physiologist too?

So by your rational, if you're a skill player you should never work out because adding muscle just slows you down. Ok Tom Brady.

Now what can happen when guys add muscle is that they dont add in a cardio, stretching and explosion element to their training. Added muscle needs to be trained to be explosive.

Just adding fat, no bueno. Again, unless you are a big ugly.
What are you babbling about? Read my response again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He was basically a 7th round pick. They hadnt drafted a RB yet. He very well may have been the best available at that point. Add in his dad. Sure, pick the guy. See what he can do.

I highly doubt they were sitting on the clock deriving offensive packages for him and getting Turpin release papers written up.

If he is this unstoppable, amazing, super star talent ya'll are making him out to be, then he'll make the team.

If he comes up short, then he'll be on the PS and no one will pick him up.
They had a pretty good idea when they drafted him how he could be utilized. They don’t just draft players, then try and figure out during the summer where to put them. I gave you my opinion, we’ll see how it plays out during camp.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
They had a pretty good idea when they drafted him how he could be utilized. They don’t just draft players, then try and figure out during the summer where to put them. I gave you my opinion, we’ll see how it plays out during camp.
Yes we will

visionary

Reaction score
Now you know how Pollard was used his first years in the NFL, is not on him, but on the coaches right ?
And we know well the workings of Garrett, Kellen and a non-McCarthy, right ?

i dunno WTH "injured 2022 " is supposed to mean ? :muttley:
It is a fact and in English so I can understand your difficulty in comprehension on both counts

visionary

Reaction score
Rotate, rotate, rotate... platooning your RBs and having different packages for different defensive looks is a huge advantage.
The glory days of the every down dominant back.. Emmitt, Sanders, etc. have faded and having versatility in the backfield preserves who you have there.
When you platoon garbage with garbage guess what you have? Garbage