Could Ronald Jones be primary backup RB?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
As for Ronald Jones, I said it since his final year in college - I never liked the fact he put on that much muscle. He lost the burst he had early on in his college career. He went from a guy that could take it to the house any play to a much less effective bruiser back.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Do you guys want Pollard to have to bulk up to get more carries? There are negatives that come with that. Pollard's biggest positive right now is relatively fresh legs being able to take it to the house or have a long run/reception.

Nobody should be against him touching the ball 12-15 times a game.
Pollard may be against that. Good thing you're not his agent. This isnt a video game. Its real life with players wanting to get paid. Especially at RB where careers are short.

He wants every touch he can get to show out and get paid next year.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Pollard may be against that. Good thing you're not his agent. This isnt a video game. Its real life with players wanting to get paid. Especially at RB where careers are short.

He wants every touch he can get to show out and get paid next year.
Then he can hit the road. Come at me with this BS logic. "Ur not his agent" - nobody here is.

Imagine arguing against wanting your players to be the most effective they can be. He's an RB, he does what the staff wants him to do or he can **** and we move on.

Big_D

Reaction score
What big role does Turpin have? Do we watch the same games? Should he have a bigger role? I have no idea. Someone last year figured he shouldnt.

So you think we should split up the 4 or 5 kick returns and 4 or 5 punt returns between two guys that will do virtually nothing else.

I hate the fact we have two guys already, Turpin and Goodwin, that only play special teams. That hurt us last year when we were pulling guys in off the street every week to play corner. All while our special teams ace watched.

And now you want to add another one.

So 10 possible returns a game for 1 player for the season.No plan whatsoever beyond that? You have no clue what the plans are on offense for either, but thinking a guy year one out of the Canadien league was just ready to light it up seems a little far fetched. I'm sure Vaughns good for 300 carries. LOL The expectations on here without actually allowing for development are comical.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So Turpin doesn't make the team? Because Jerry wants a feel good story?
Jerry and the gang spent something like 15 minutes during the post draft presser shedding tears over the decision to draft Vaughn, so they’re not cutting him, at least not this season. Turpin will likely still continue to return punts, however there is a possibility Vaughn could make him expendable. We’ll just have to see how it plays out this summer.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
As for Ronald Jones, I said it since his final year in college - I never liked the fact he put on that much muscle. He lost the burst he had early on in his college career. He went from a guy that could take it to the house any play to a much less effective bruiser back.

Maybe post the clip of him going for 98 against the Panthers two years ago. All that extra bulk didnt look like it slowed him down to much.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Then he can hit the road. Come at me with this BS logic. "Ur not his agent" - nobody here is.

Imagine arguing against wanting your players to be the most effective they can be. He's an RB, he does what the staff wants him to do or he can **** and we move on.
Imagine arguing against having your best RB not on the field as much as you can. Cause you want to keep him fresh and all.

Great way to waste 10 mil. You're obviously not an agent, scout or GM

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
RJ had decent seasons in 2019 and 2020, the question everyone should be asking is why he hasn't done anything since then.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Maybe post the clip of him going for 98 against the Panthers two years ago. All that extra bulk didnt look like it slowed him down to much.
Ah the dude who averaged under 4 YPC last year had a long run a few seasons ago so that totally proves he can take it to the house or have a long run every other play.

Can you make a third crappy post in a row? Let's see if it's a triple.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
So 10 possible returns a game for 1 player for the season.No plan whatsoever beyond that? You have no clue what the plans are on offense for either, but thinking a guy year one out of the Canadien league was just ready to light it up seems a little far fetched. I'm sure Vaughns good for 300 carries. LOL The expectations on here without actually allowing for development are comical.
Im not coaching the team. I do think Turpin will be better this year. Having a break and all.

Id personally like to see him play some WR in preseason. See what he can do. Maybe they were worried about him breaking down last year due to how much football he had played. Or maybe hes just not good enough to be an NFL WR.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Imagine arguing against having your best RB not on the field as much as you can. Cause you want to keep him fresh and all.

Imagine not understanding that not every RB, especially an RB like Pollard, will be as effective if you make them bulk up. Pollards best asset is that he is a very good change of pace back.

He is not a full on starter in the NFL. If he wants that, he can go get run into the ground elsewhere. There absolutely no good reason you should be having one back on the field as much as you want Pollard out there. Give me 6-10 carries a game with 8-10 receptions. At his absolute peak and when it's absolutely needed, he should be touching the ball 15-20 times. Averaging that every game will result him being in the ice bath with extended period of time missed.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Jerry and the gang spent something like 15 minutes during the post draft presser shedding tears over the decision to draft Vaughn, so they’re not cutting him, at least not this season. Turpin will likely still continue to return punts, however there is a possibility Vaughn could make him expendable. We’ll just have to see how it plays out this summer.
If he EARNS a spot, great. If hes handed a spot because of his dad, then Jerry is a bigger idiot than thought.

Big_D

Reaction score
Im not coaching the team. I do think Turpin will be better this year. Having a break and all.

Id personally like to see him play some WR in preseason. See what he can do. Maybe they were worried about him breaking down last year due to how much football he had played. Or maybe hes just not good enough to be an NFL WR.
The team seems to be doing a much better job of finding guys who can have multiple roles here. I definitely expect Turpin to see more time offensively this year.

Big_D

Reaction score

Just pointing out that the team wasted a huge contract doing exactly that. Everyone bought the feed me routine and the Cowboys had their #1 RB on the field a LOT. Was never enough to get over the hump and he ran out of gas down the stretch. Even with a few all pros on the line early. Maybe try the other side of the coin. See if you can keep your RBs fresh cause that was basically a lesson on what not to do.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Ah the dude who averaged under 4 YPC last year had a long run a few seasons ago so that totally proves he can take it to the house or have a long run every other play.

Can you make a third crappy post in a row? Let's see if it's a triple.
Last year? Keep proving your ineptitude.

Now at least bring up the fact that he was inactive for quite a few games. And we can discuss why that was.

2, 3 years ago he was a very serviceable back. He's low mileage and low priced.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Imagine not understanding that not every RB, especially an RB like Pollard, will be as effective if you make them bulk up. Pollards best asset is that he is a very good change of pace back.

He is not a full on starter in the NFL. If he wants that, he can go get run into the ground elsewhere. There absolutely no good reason you should be having one back on the field as much as you want Pollard out there. Give me 6-10 carries a game with 8-10 receptions. At his absolute peak and when it's absolutely needed, he should be touching the ball 15-20 times. Averaging that every game will result him being in the ice bath with extended period of time missed.
Why is bulking up such a heinous crime now?

Dont do it Micah. Dont do it Tony.

Every player is different. Every body different. Pollard has already bulked up to 215+. Didnt slow him down last year.

You want your best players playing. Get into shape. The best ones do it. You have no idea if he can or cant still be productive playing 40-45 snaps a game. I bet he thinks he can.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
The team seems to be doing a much better job of finding guys who can have multiple roles here. I definitely expect Turpin to see more time offensively this year.
Who on offense has multiple roles?

McGovern was the last. lol

quickccc

Reaction score
Turpin and Vaughn should both be on the roster. I don't think they want to make Vaughn the full time return man. He'll get some work there but Turpin has a big role here and that will continue.
- Turpin has shown why he is on the roster, imo. He may not have scored on a run back in '22, but he's clearly shown how his burst, and open field run skills can flip the field in an instant.
Had he more balance and his tiny legs had more lower body strength, he would have had several TD runbacks. He does get tripped up too easily.

- Vaugh is getting trained and taught to return punts. Something he did not do in college. It's a wait and see with this PR duties.
But we really do need a backup punt returner in the event that Turpin gets hurt ...I do not want to see Lamb having to be forced into that duty anymore.

Deuce would have to be utter disastrous from beginning to end - cannot do anything right in entire summer (constant fumbles, blown assignments, a ton of drops,
just showing no speed or run vision) ... or forbid it that he suffer some kind of serious injury (injury reserve) for him not to make the 2023's 53 roster team.
And I just could not see that at all for a gamer that balled out in Division I ball against the likes of 'Bama...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If he EARNS a spot, great. If hes handed a spot because of his dad, then Jerry is a bigger idiot than thought.
They made a huge fuss over drafting him because his dad works for the team now they’re stuck with him for a season. I’ve never seen a post draft presser with so many tears shed over a selection. it’s still going to be awkward for them to move on from whenever that time happens. There should be an opportunity for him at the very least as a returner on KO’s. Not having Zeke and Pollard coming back from an injury may give him some opportunity as a runner.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Just pointing out that the team wasted a huge contract doing exactly that. Everyone bought the feed me routine and the Cowboys had their #1 RB on the field a LOT. Was never enough to get over the hump and he ran out of gas down the stretch. Even with a few all pros on the line early. Maybe try the other side of the coin. See if you can keep your RBs fresh cause that was basically a lesson on what not to do.
If you want to debate franchising Pollard, Im for that. But at least its only a one year deal.

Im a big believer of getting that rookie RB. Run him into the ground and move on. No big second year contracts like we did with Zeke.

Or have two lower priced RBs and split carries.

But Pollard is 10 mil this year. We need to run, run, run him. If he cant handle it, then he will show the NFL that hes not worth a big contract next year.

If he does handle the load, some team will pay him next year.