Could somebody explain to me why this team drafted a TE in the 2nd round?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree on the term "reaches". Fredsy was not a reach. Any time you can get a player w/ a high floor who has a very good chance of starting, it is not a reach. This value stuff simply isn't realistic. Trading down isn't that easy and only works sometimes.
Totally understand your view and you're right if they end up being a good player it just shows the Cowboys were better evaluators for that player than other teams otherwise they likely would have gone earlier. I still feel value is realistic though which is why certain positions generally are drafted later than others, why there's a trade value chart, why in deep positional drafts teams may consider waiting because there's not much of a perceived talent drop from one round to another.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yeah, except their 2nd TE was a 4.4 running receiving TE who was really a receiver. The 2 TE O only works w/ very specific personnel.

The bolded is some funny stuff. How many of those guys are there in the NFL? Like 5? You're asking for us to have two top 5 type TE's. How would you propose we get them? And since Fergie isn't a field stretcher, we'll need 2.
Well how did a Schultz become Schultz after Witten? How did Ferguson replace Schultz seamlessly?

Witten and Schultz were on the same team. Schultz and Ferguson were in the same team.

So let's wait and find out Schoonmaker is good when Ferguson is gone.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yeah, except their 2nd TE was a 4.4 running receiving TE who was really a receiver. The 2 TE O only works w/ very specific personnel.

The bolded is some funny stuff. How many of those guys are there in the NFL? Like 5? You're asking for us to have two top 5 type TE's. How would you propose we get them? And since Fergie isn't a field stretcher, we'll need 2.
I know Witten was really fast.

Chasing6

Reaction score

So you must think Ferguson and Whitten suck running a 4.65.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Nobody knew or expected Ferguson to make the step up that he made
Nobody meaning you had no idea.

Travis Kelce predicted that Jake Ferguson was going to be one of the up and coming TE's.

Dallas just can't identify TE talent. Just like DT talent. They have just been lucky with falling in their lap with Schultz and now Ferguson.

Last edited:

Loso86

Reaction score
Nobody meaning you had no idea.

Travis Kelce predicted that Jake Ferguson was going to be one of the up and coming TE's.

Dallas just can't identify TE talent. Just like DT talent. They have just been lucky with falling in their lap with Schultz and now Ferguson.
Doesn't mean you dint take another one, most good teams have 2 decent ones and we only had 1 after letting Schultz go especially. Can't build your team based off of other players thoughts. Being honest we can still upgrade the TE

Chasing6

Reaction score
Doesn't mean you dint take another one, most good teams have 2 decent ones and we only had 1 after letting Schultz go especially. Can't build your team based off of other players thoughts. Being honest we can still upgrade the TE
No team really runs a 2 TE passing game. I really don't understand why, especially with the way WR's are getting paid now.

Defense would struggle to defend it as well.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I am not disappointed we took another one. I am disappointed we did not use him effectively as usual with our young TE's.

If that was the plan on using him, just like Mazi, what was the point? 1st and 2nd round picks need to be impact players not red shirt players.

Loso86

Reaction score
No team really runs a 2 TE passing game. I really don't understand why, especially with the way WR's are getting paid now.

Patriots ran it all the time

kskboys

Reaction score
Well how did a Schultz become Schultz after Witten? How did Ferguson replace Schultz seamlessly?

Witten and Schultz were on the same team. Schultz and Ferguson were in the same team.

So let's wait and find out Schoonmaker is good when Ferguson is gone.
I have no idea what you're trying to say. It's like your answer doesn't fit my post. Did you maybe quote the wrong post?

Whether Schooner becomes good or not, we still lost because we didn't address the positions we should have. It's not personal w/ Schoon, we simply needed other players a lot more than him.

kskboys

Reaction score

Because you would need two sharp route running TE's w/ speed who can block. And those are rare.

kskboys

Reaction score
Nobody knew or expected Ferguson to make the step up that he made
Yes, we did. It was talked about a ton here on this site. Most thought he could easily replace Schultz, many thought he'd be an upgrade.

Exactly where are you getting your info from? It is not correct.