Could somebody explain to me why this team drafted a TE in the 2nd round?

Big_D

Reaction score
And how did that work out helping our run game?

Pretty sure O'Cyrus would have helped our run game and Martin never would have held out or we could have easily traded him.

The Martin scenario was almost like blackmail. Him and his agent timed it perfectly.

With all the needs they have a 2nd TE in that spot is really preposterous. It's amazing people still try to justify it.

John813

Reaction score
In theory I got it, but honestly by the time their pick came up I didn't see the value in taking Schoon.
All the TE's that had potential to be a step above the Dalton Schultz level TE were taken earlier in the 2nd.

Think they got stuck on the position and just took the "best" remaining.
Got to remember Ferguson flashed some athletics with the ball in his hand but I don't think many saw that type of growth from year 1 to 2. Dallas wanted another option at TE.

Chasing6

Reaction score
In theory I got it, but honestly by the time their pick came up I didn't see the value in taking Schoon.
All the TE's that had potential to be a step above the Dalton Schultz level TE were taken earlier in the 2nd.

Think they got stuck on the position and just took the "best" remaining.
Got to remember Ferguson flashed some athletics with the ball in his hand but I don't think many saw that type of growth from year 1 to 2. Dallas wanted another option at TE.
Why was the position even a priority to begin with?

We can't evaluate our own players on our roster properly, how the hell can we evaluate a college player.

They had no idea what we had in Ferguson.

Absolutely clueless!!!

John813

Reaction score
Why was the position even a priority to begin with?

We can't evaluate our own players on our roster properly, how the hell can we evaluate a college player.

They had no idea what we had in Ferguson.

Absolutely clueless!!!

Schultz walked. They had Ferguson, Hendershot and McKeon.

I don't think anyone really knew what they had in Ferguson. He played well as the #2, but had 19 catches.
The rest were UDFA tight ends that I doubt anyone on the team was high on.

I can't recall the boards overall opinion on the TE spot going into the 23 draft but I do recall a lot of talk over Kincaid, Washington, Mayer, LaPorta and Musgrave.
It wasn't like the fans were in agreement that Ferguson was going to play like he did in 23-24. A lot thought he was going to possibly be Schultz lite with maybe better blocking

Chasing6

Reaction score

I don't think anyone really knew what they had in Ferguson. He played well as the #2, but had 19 catches.

I can't recall the boards overall opinion on the TE spot going into the 23 draft but I do recall a lot of talk over Kincaid, Washington, Mayer, LaPorta and Musgrave.
It wasn't like the fans were in agreement that Ferguson was going to play like he did in 23-24. A lot thought he was going to possibly be Schultz lite with maybe better blocking
We have never run a 2 TE passing game and most teams don't. So we had no idea what he was capable of from camp and practices.

So now Schoonmaker will block. Just like Schultz did when we had Whitten.

Only team I recall doing it was NE and it turned out to be pretty successful. So we will definitely will not do it.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It wouldn’t hurt to be ahead of something for a change.

Meaning…you know you’re losing you’re starting TE after the season so have a plan in place to not be desperate to draft one.

They did the same thing with RB. They are now going to have to reach in a poor RB draft.

Always a step behind.

Big_D

Reaction score

A perfect situation to go get a cheap FA blocking TE and reserve that pick for more important needs considering how they get run over every year like clockwork. Those positions that are out of their price range in March should be the targets in those first 3 or 4 rounds. If you don't know what you got in Ferguson, how is a rookie helping when you don't know what you got there either?

John813

Reaction score
A perfect situation to go get a cheap FA blocking TE and reserve that pick for more important needs considering how they get run over every year like clockwork. Those positions that are out of their price range in March should be the targets in those first 3 or 4 rounds. If you don't know what you got in Ferguson, how is a rookie helping when you don't know what you got there either?
Are you guys expecting a team to know with 100% confidence what they have out of a day 3 TE with one year under their belt, that was fighting for a #2 role?

I hated the Schoon pick, but there feels to be a lot of hindsight in regards to why the team was interested in a tight end in general for the 2023 draft.

I too wanted the team to draft another position over Schoon, but it's not like Ferguson was able to start a handful of games in 2022.
Week 3 he played 83% of the snaps. 2 catches for 13 yards.
He had that highlight leap and that was about it.
The rest of the season he played usually between 11-50% of the snaps. Some of those higher snap percentages coming in blowouts or when Schultz was injured.

The team wanted to add more talent to the T.E. spot and have another option if Ferguson didn't improve. Schoon got injured in camp and Ferguson made that step.

Jarntt

Reaction score
"Could somebody explain to me why this team drafted a TE in the 2nd round?"

I wasn't a fan of this particular pick, but coming into the draft Ferguson had 19 career receptions and Hendershot had 11...so...we kind of needed a TE. In retrospect it hasn't worked out (or at least not yet), but that's a different topic.

Chasing6

Reaction score
why this team drafted a tight end in the second round. That ruined the whole draft for me. Could have gotten a linebacker or an offensive lineman, positions of need. I just didn't get it. Please let me know your opinion on this.
Same reason we can't explain drafting a DT in round 1 and asked him to lose 30 lbs.

Now apparently we are asking him to gain it back.

Big_D

Reaction score
Are you guys expecting a team to know with 100% confidence what they have out of a day 3 TE with one year under their belt, that was fighting for a #2 role?

I hated the Schoon pick, but there feels to be a lot of hindsight in regards to why the team was interested in a tight end in general for the 2023 draft.

I too wanted the team to draft another position over Schoon, but it's not like Ferguson was able to start a handful of games in 2022.
The rest of the season he played usually between 11-50% of the snaps. Some of those higher snap percentages coming in blowouts or when Schultz was injured.

The team wanted to add more talent to the T.E. spot and have another option if Ferguson didn't improve. Schoon got injured in camp and Ferguson made that step.

There's no hindsight here.. there was much bigger problems. Problems that can't be addressed in FA while this one easily could have.

Chasing6

Reaction score

I expect them to pay attention to practice and put players in position to be proper evaluated.

I also seen enough flashes in 2022 to see this coming a mile away.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Breaking News: At the point of the draft, there was a run on TE's we needed one, and selected the WRONG one clearly!!!
Using a 2nd on a projected *blocking* TE is too stupid even for the Joneses. That's not what happened.
Some people thought we needed a starting TE. They were wrong. We already had one.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Breaking News: At the point of the draft, there was a run on TE's we needed one, and selected the WRONG one clearly!!! This team is constantly looking for a "blocking tight end" they've been looking for once since the dawn of mankind
We needed one in the 2nd round was debatable at best.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The draft is for the future now right now.

Wrong. That isn't why they took Schoon. Besides, he isn't just a blocking TE.

You trying to tell us the Cowboys didn't think things thru before making that pick? Really? That they just picked a name out of a hat?
Oftentimes I agree with that. But as so many have stated, it felt like they had penciled in TE and were going to draft one in the first two rounds regardless. Seems they felt it was a more urgent "need" rather than a future need. Even if it was a future need, was Schoon worthy of his draft slot or BPA? I didn't see anything in his rookie season that sold me & I know he wasn't BPA. Which, as luck would have it, lined up with a future need.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The draft is for the future now right now.

Wrong. That isn't why they took Schoon. Besides, he isn't just a blocking TE.

You trying to tell us the Cowboys didn't think things thru before making that pick? Really? That they just picked a name out of a hat?
He was only a blocking TE last year.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It's like, we got lucky a few times and suddenly the lemmings started proclaiming the greatness of McClay.

Know why we took Martin? Because the guy we wanted was gone. Know why we took Fredsy? Because Romo refused to renegotiate his contract unless Jerry took a Center in the first round. Why'd we take Tyron? Because our OLT position was in such horrific shape due to previous bad drafting that we were forced to take an OLT w/ a high first.

Got Parsons because two teams jumped ahead to take the CBs we wanted. Lamb? Draft slide due to his skinny build.

Yeah, we've been better at drafting since McClay, but only because it was so horrific before that. 2nd rounders are a major part of the core of your team, and we waste them year after year after year.
Dude, I catch myself in this cycle of over crediting them for some of the picks while simultaneously thinking of the complete whiffs. Unfortunately a lot of the whiffs had red flags all over them to begin with or were completely out of line with anyone else's evaluations. Thanks for putting into words what was bouncing around in my brain.

Can you chisel that into stone & roll it into the lobby of the Star?