CFZ Could TE resolve Dak’s problems

Hadenough

Reaction score
If you watch Dak play it doesn't matter if Dallas has great pass catching TE. Dak goes through two reads maybe three at times but he looks for guys that are WIDE open. He never throws guys open. He doesn't attempt hardly any timing routes. Kelsey wouldn't help Dak!

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I made another post regarding possible explanations for the drop in performance with Dak but likely got carried away with metrics. However, a comment by @DandyDon52 sent me down a rabbit hole which led to an interesting observation.

Instead of providing tables, I’ll give an explanation. If you want to see more data, it’s in the Fun With Numbers thread.

In the 6 years where Dak has been the primary starter (2020 injured), he has had 3 years with an elite QBR

YEAR - QBR - NFL rank…..bold is elite years
2016 - 77.6….#3
2017 - 69.9….#4
2018 - 55.2….#17​
2019 - 71.9….#4
2021 - 60.5….#11​
2022 - 57.9….#12​

The only years Dak has had an elite QBR, he had a 20+% TE target rate:

2016 - 23%
2017 - 20%
2018 - 14%​
2019 - 22%
2021 - 14%​
2022 - 12%​
I looked at targets for all positions but only 1 position equated to an elite QBR for Dak and it did so every time…TE…and more specifically Jason Witten.

2016 - with Witten….…23% TE targets…..elite……#3 QBR in NFL
2017 - with Witten…….20% TE targets…..elite.…..#4 QBR in NFL

2018 - without Witten….14% TE targets…...good..…#19 QBR in NFL
2019 - with Witten…….22% TE targets…..elite…...#4 QBR in NFL
2020 - injured
2021 - without Witten….14% TE target…….good…..#11 QBR in NFL
2022 - without Witten….12% TE target…….good..…#12 QBR in NFL

In 6 years as a primary starter:
  1. Dak has had 3 years with an elite QBR. In each of those years he had a TE target rate of >20% & Jason Witten.
  2. Dak has had 3 years w/o an elite QBR. In each of those years he had a TE target rate of <20% & no Jason Witten.
  3. The only position (WR,TE,RB) that equated to an elite QBR for Dak was the TE position and Witten and it did so every time.
I realize it’s not that simple but I do find it interesting.

I wonder if Dak needs a possession, move the chains security blanket to maximize his effectiveness and can Schoonmaker be that guy.
It’s not a Prescott problem. It’s a blocking problem. Yes he can open up the running game.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
what do
If you watch Dak play it doesn't matter if Dallas has great pass catching TE. Dak goes through two reads maybe three at times but he looks for guys that are WIDE open. He never throws guys open. He doesn't attempt hardly any timing routes. Kelsey wouldn't help Dak!
what does throwing someone open mean? I bet you can't describe it. but you heard it and it sounds good....right?

quickccc

Reaction score
The 49ers with Montana used to run this to perfection and more lethal with Rice and Taylor......turning short routes into long back breakers. Rathman, Craig and of course Clark......all killed Dallas. But yeah, kinda like that.
Can anyone think of a WCO that was not Bill Walsh Joe Montana Rice ? ... Do we really have to travel in Rod Taylor's time machine for that only type example of West Coast ?

I think it's various versions of the WCO, just as there are various versions of the Rhythm Time Based offenses.

Hadenough

Reaction score
what do

what does throwing someone open mean? I bet you can't describe it. but you heard it and it sounds good....right?
:facepalm:
I can understand why your asking because Dak never does it. This is exactly why Dak struggles with better teams like 49ers. When that coverage is sticky he just needs to place that ball where only his WR can catch it. Dak won't even entertain the idea of throwing the football when coverage is tight. That's when panic sets in.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys obviously don't think so or they would have drafted or signed a better TE than Dalton Schultz.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I made another post regarding possible explanations for the drop in performance with Dak but likely got carried away with metrics. However, a comment by @DandyDon52 sent me down a rabbit hole which led to an interesting observation.

Instead of providing tables, I’ll give an explanation. If you want to see more data, it’s in the Fun With Numbers thread.

In the 6 years where Dak has been the primary starter (2020 injured), he has had 3 years with an elite QBR

2016 - 77.6….#3
2017 - 69.9….#4
2018 - 55.2….#17​
2019 - 71.9….#4
2021 - 60.5….#11​
2022 - 57.9….#12​

2016 - 23%
2017 - 20%
2018 - 14%​
2019 - 22%
2021 - 14%​
2022 - 12%​
I looked at targets for all positions but only 1 position equated to an elite QBR for Dak and it did so every time…TE…and more specifically Jason Witten.

2020 - injured

1. Dak has had 3 years with an elite QBR. In each of those years he had a TE target rate of >20% & Jason Witten.
  2. Dak has had 3 years w/o an elite QBR. In each of those years he had a TE target rate of <20% & no Jason Witten.
  3. The only position (WR,TE,RB) that equated to an elite QBR for Dak was the TE position and Witten and it did so every time.

I wonder if Dak needs a possession, move the chains security blanket to maximize his effectiveness and can Schoonmaker be that guy.
Dakota Prescot is nothing more than a WENTZ 2.0 QBing this team. He's a below average QB when he's going up against GOOD teams in this league and average at best when he's going up against the TOADS in the league. Prescot is a QB that can't be trusted anymore and for the amount of money he's being paid that's a dam shame!

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
what do

The term has been around likely longer than you have.

It means to precisely place the ball in the spot that gives a tightly covered receiver a chance at.

Geeze man, we watched Aikman throw Irvin open every week on those deep outs and slants.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

It means to precisely place the ball in the spot that gives a tightly covered receiver a chance at.

Geeze man, we watched Aikman throw Irvin open every week on those deep outs and slants.
Throw Irvin open? Aikman was great but he would throw it towards Irvin and know who the biggest dog in the fight for the ball would be at all times.#88 would use his body and get the ball on any route..the slant was almost an auto reception with him even if Aikman was getting killed and the pass was off.

raven55

Reaction score
the only way dak is gonna get any better is go to the xfl or some where there is a lower tier defense he'll be okay in the regular season but will choke when the rubber hits the road. he's a good qb but not a franchise one he's already proved that with nothing being corrected in the 7th year he's been here because of all the rookie mistakes of the last year look at all the games that you as a qb have to be on top of things and bukus as far as wins . He won againist a buc's team but a lot of teams did with lower tier qb's . and before you start commenting i know nothing about football been in it for about 25 years

basel90

Reaction score

2016 - 77.6….#3
2017 - 69.9….#4
2018 - 55.2….#17​
2019 - 71.9….#4
2021 - 60.5….#11​
2022 - 57.9….#12​

2016 - 23%
2017 - 20%
2018 - 14%​
2019 - 22%
2021 - 14%​
2022 - 12%​

2020 - injured

nothing will fix Dak's issues . After 8 years, good defenses know how to contain and confuse him, especially if the running game is not dominant. The cowboys already know dak cannot pass them into a CCG or SB . The defense has to be elite and the running game stout for that to happen. a tall order with Dak's cap hit.
If the cowboys recruit an elite TE , the defenses will cover him up and take him away. The QBR figures above never helped advance the cowboys to a CCG .

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

2016 - 77.6….#3
2017 - 69.9….#4
2018 - 55.2….#17​
2019 - 71.9….#4
2021 - 60.5….#11​
2022 - 57.9….#12​

2016 - 23%
2017 - 20%
2018 - 14%​
2019 - 22%
2021 - 14%​
2022 - 12%​

2020 - injured

I think there’s definitely something to be said for the TE numbers, but I also believe that quality of receivers - or lack thereof - plays a large role. And that goes for most any quarterback.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
:facepalm:
I can understand why your asking because Dak never does it. This is exactly why Dak struggles with better teams like 49ers. When that coverage is sticky he just needs to place that ball where only his WR can catch it. Dak won't even entertain the idea of throwing the football when coverage is tight. That's when panic sets in.
that was one of the best non answers I have ever heard. I asked what does throwing someone open mean, you said, dak never does it, which was my question to your original comment that dak never throws anyone open.

and I can show you many times he has put it where the WR can get it, but sometimes they don't come down with it. I can also give you examples of him not making good throws. he is not elite. we all know that. but to say he NEVER throws a WR open is complete nonsense. he had 66% completion percentage last year, which was one of his worst. 2021 he was 4th, the year before 65% and 13th in the league.

so how is it he has high completion percentage, but NEVER throws a WR open. again, he is not Elite. he doesn't do it as well as Rodgers or Brady or Mahomes. but that's because he is not them.

I am sure your next comment is completion percentage doesn't have to do anything with completion percentage.....

btw, if you see the actual stats for tight window throws, he is one of the better ones in the league, except you look at one throw, make a generalization across all the throws.

but I get it. you have an agenda to drive. by all means do it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

yes, watch AIkman throw. Watch brady throw. watch rodgers throw. watch Mahomes throw.

Dak is none of them. Dak is not elite. so why are you comparing Dak to an Elite QB and as you just did to a HOF QB and complaining that he is not them.

and you want to tell me that of all the throws, 66% completion percentage, that none of them are tight window throws? really. that's your claim?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well...let's just insult everyone's football intelligence because they don't agree with you.

Since nobody but you knows what it means...educate us.
oh, I must have gotten under your skin somewhere given you just butted in with a non-football comment.

did I claim I know it? no, go back and sit in the corner like I ordered you to do and put that dunce cap back on....or you are going to principals office and no lunch break for you

Hadenough

Reaction score
that was one of the best non answers I have ever heard. I asked what does throwing someone open mean, you said, dak never does it, which was my question to your original comment that dak never throws anyone open.

and I can show you many times he has put it where the WR can get it, but sometimes they don't come down with it. I can also give you examples of him not making good throws. he is not elite. we all know that. but to say he NEVER throws a WR open is complete nonsense. he had 66% completion percentage last year, which was one of his worst. 2021 he was 4th, the year before 65% and 13th in the league.

so how is it he has high completion percentage, but NEVER throws a WR open. again, he is not Elite. he doesn't do it as well as Rodgers or Brady or Mahomes. but that's because he is not them.

I am sure your next comment is completion percentage doesn't have to do anything with completion percentage.....

btw, if you see the actual stats for tight window throws, he is one of the better ones in the league, except you look at one throw, make a generalization across all the throws.

but I get it. you have an agenda to drive. by all means do it.
Don't be so disappointed. Dak isn't the only QB out there that doesn't throw WRs open. He's just the only one in the playoffs that doesn't do it.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We had a TE every year Dak has played. We had a very good TE last year. TE is not t.he problem.
Dak has performed at a high starting QB caliber all but 1 year, last year, not at an elite level, but high level.

Last season was a result of maintaining the pass game as the number 1 emphasis by Moore when the receivers were not at that level. We kept hearing coaches say Dak had to keep being aggressive even when the INTs were a problem. Dak doesn’t get a free ride as it was still his responsibility, but the real problem was the WR position and a lack of game plan adjustment, along with Dak not throwing more balls away.

I fully expect him to return to protecting the football better this year because that was who he was every other year of his career. If he doesn’t, then we have a problem.