Counting Down The 50 Greatest Quarterbacks In NFL History

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I can’t say that. I agree rule changes have helped statistics but I can’t sit here and say Mahomes is only productive because of rule changes. He’s a gifted thrower of the football. I don’t see how his skillset wouldn’t translate in the 70s….
I didn’t say he’s only productive because of rule changes but I am saying those QB’s from 70’s in this era with rules and pass happy offenses would have put up similar stat lines . Maybe more.

All you have to look at is QB’s like Romo and Prescott passing Staubachs numbers to know this era is spiked as a result.

And Mahomes skill set would translate to the 70’s. Greatness is greatness.

gtb1943

Reaction score
What? OMG get Dak outnof your head. You are daksessed. This was about top 50 QBs and Dak nowhere on the list. My argument that Danny White was better than Romo. Romo was a stat collector. Danny White led Cowboys to three straight NFCCG.

Geez dude the world doesn't revolve around Dak, but you people are just amazing
truth hurts the wimps

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I didn’t say he’s only productive because of rule changes but I am saying those QB’s from 70’s in this era with rules and pass happy offenses would have put up similar stat lines . Maybe more.
You said you’d take those guys over Aaron, Brady and Mahomes….im saying what’s to say they can’t perform in the 70s?

gtb1943

Reaction score
You said you’d take those guys over Aaron, Brady and Mahomes….im saying what’s to say they can’t perform in the 70s?
I frankly wonder if they would have been tough enough to play in the 70's when the D could absolutely destroy you and NOT get a roughing the passer call

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I frankly wonder if they would have been tough enough to play in the 70's when the D could absolutely destroy you and NOT get a roughing the passer call
I’ve seen nothing to suggest those guys aren’t tough. Jay Cutler? Ok. Pat Mahomes? Not so much. His toughness would be fine.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not saying that. These great QB’s this era could play in that era as well .

I’m just saying those great QB’s could play in this era as well.

The stat lines this era don’t define greatness over previous eras.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yea, I’d put some of the greats this era up against those in the 70’s. We had QB’s with similar mobile abilities and drop back.

It’s just the rules and intentions this era has spiked passing stats.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m not saying that. These great QB’s this era could play in that era as well .

I’m just saying those great QB’s could play in this era as well.

The stat lines this era don’t define greatness over previous eras.
I don’t think Mahomes and Rodger’s stats are what define them though. Same for Brady. Guys like Romo and Stafford and Matt Ryan? I get that argument.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea, I’d put some of the greats this era up against those in the 70’s. We had QB’s with similar mobile abilities and drop back.

It’s just the rules and intentions this era has spiked passing stats.
There was no one in the 70s that were the athletes Vick or Lamar are though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There was no one in the 70s that were the athletes Vick or Lamar are though.
Not at QB because super talented black athletes didn’t play QB back then.

But I’d put super athletic running abilities talents OJ, Sanders and Dorsett for example up against anyone this era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
truth hurts the wimps
I’d bet most of these fans didn’t live thru the 70’s era. It’s difficult to compare if you didn’t experience both. Watching films, videos and stat lines don’t tell the impacts and talent they had.

I’d put Montana and Staubach up against Brady and Mahomes . Would be historic matchups.

The heart of a champion isn’t any bigger this era. There just isn’t as many great teams and dynasties this era cause of rule changes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I hate to keep harping on Rich Gannon, but ranking him number 41 is absolutely laughable! They have him ranked ahead of two Hall of Fame QBs and Joe Theismann, who was much better than Rich Gannon. Joe Theismann also won an MVP and he led Washington to back to back Super Bowls with one win. Gannon had one great season and a couple of good seasons and that was it in a 17 year career. The guy was a journeyman. His ranking is one of the most baffling I’ve ever seen on any of these QB rankings.

kskboys

Reaction score
I really don’t understand how anyone could rank Rich Gannon ahead of Ken Stabler who’s in the Hall of Fame. Gannon had one big season in 2002 where he won MVP and got the Raiders to the Super Bowl. However, he threw 5 INT’s in a blowout loss to Tampa. Stabler was a great QB and Rich Gannon wasn’t.
Holy Larry, Gannon made a top 50 all time list? I can think of a 100 better QBs off the top of my head. This guy is really needing mental help.