Cowboys 2024 draft - positional and compensatory picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambit

Reaction score
Those 5th and 6th round compensatory picks are at the end of those rounds.

Sucks.

Can't believe Jerry wasted a costly and much needed 4th round pick on a project BUST.

Even worse.
The gap between 3rd Rd and next pick is huge.
I know talent can be found in every round but it's a big drop off.

We have 16 FA and possibly LVE retirement

17 spots a ton of pressure on those 5-7 rounds to find starters.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Yes, sir. I really wish Jerry had kept our 4th round draft pick and not traded it for a previous bust project, especially after knowing we already didn't have a 5th or 6th round picks after trading those away a year ago their original 5th round pick to the Chiefs to pick up an extra 6th round pick to draft CB Eric Scott, Jr (who never saw the field in 2023) and traded their 6th round pick to the Texans to bring in old man WR Brandin Cooks.

Talk about killing us badly for 2024's draft when we've got so many holes to fill.

raven55

Reaction score
just forget it this is a front office that sends a 4th round for a qb that's never gonna be a qb here so how stupid can you be especially after next year pay him or someone will.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Compensatory picks are speculation slash educated guesses at this point.

Last year they were announced March 9th.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-draft-nfl-awards-37-compensatory-picks-to-16-teams
This has always been pretty accurate.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

It show Noah Brown as 7th round pick, however with the chart on the left he does not qualify as a top 32 contract.
Depending of final incentives paid / met he could slide up as others drop down. But doubtful.

rambo2

Reaction score
Yes, sir. I really wish Jerry had kept our 4th round draft pick and not traded it for a previous bust project, especially after knowing we already didn't have a 5th or 6th round picks after trading those away a year ago their original 5th round pick to the Chiefs to pick up an extra 6th round pick to draft CB Eric Scott, Jr (who never saw the field in 2023) and traded their 6th round pick to the Texans to bring in old man WR Brandin Cooks.

Talk about killing us badly for 2024's draft when we've got so many holes to fill.
He traded a 4th round pick for a young 1st round qb with potential. The Cooks trade was excellent.

GermanBoyzBeerInc

Reaction score
Cooks and Gilly were definitely worth it. Lance? We'll see. But if it all goes in the right direction, we won't see and the pick was wasted. Depends all on Daks health.

Croomraider

Reaction score
Lance 2021 stats were wayyyy better than Jordan Love stats FWIW.
Might just be time to make him the true backup and let him get some reps!

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Lance 2021 stats were wayyyy better than Jordan Love stats FWIW.
Might just be time to make him the true backup and let him get some reps!
Lance 2021 - 2 games started, 6 games overall, 41/71 (57.7%) 603 yards, 5 TD, 2 INT, 8.5 yards per pass attempt

Love 2021 - 1 game started, 6 games overall 36/62 (58.1%) 411 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT, 6.6 yards per pass attempt

"wayyyy better”?

Lance has 519 career passing attempts (99 high school, 318 college, 102 NFL).

Love has 2209 career passing attempts (422 high school, 1125 college, 662 NFL)

I would love it if Lance can develop into Jordan Love. There just isn't the data/evidence to support that. Lance is extremely raw as a passer.

Shanahan and the 49ers gambled on that, some of that being the 2020 COVID year, and they lost. They recovered.

Jerry, with a few more years of information, bailed them out and donated a 4th round pick to the 49ers.

The issues that critics have with Dak are even more prominent with Lance. He struggles with accuracy and processing reads. No one in Dallas has helped Dak with that so the idea that they would suddenly be able to help Lance seems farfetched.

plasticman

Reaction score
The worse position to be in the NFL as far as acquiring talent:

The Cowboys are drafting in the bottom 25% for the 3rd time in a row. However, they have nothing to show for it. No team can consistently win while maintaining a low draft position year in and year out unless they know how to trade well and their ability to win championships can be a recruiting tool..

You might notice that the Patriots used a method for several seasons that helped them close the talent gap.

The Patriots would often have two #1 picks in a draft and they would always trade one for a 2nd round and others along with the other team's1st round pick next season. Thee were five consecutive seasons in which the Patriots had a combined 20 second and third round picks.

They also maintained a rather emotionless, cold blooded approach to their veteran talent. They either signed their contract for the money offered or they went elsewhere. The Patriots had no qualms about getting rid of some award winning players.

Of course, there were exceptions, no need to explain who.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Lance 2021 - 2 games started, 6 games overall, 41/71 (57.7%) 603 yards, 5 TD, 2 INT, 8.5 yards per pass attempt

Love 2021 - 1 game started, 6 games overall 36/62 (58.1%) 411 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT, 6.6 yards per pass attempt

"wayyyy better”?

Lance has 519 career passing attempts (99 high school, 318 college, 102 NFL).

Love has 2209 career passing attempts (422 high school, 1125 college, 662 NFL)

I would love it if Lance can develop into Jordan Love. There just isn't the data/evidence to support that. Lance is extremely raw as a passer.

Shanahan and the 49ers gambled on that, some of that being the 2020 COVID year, and they lost. They recovered.

Jerry, with a few more years of information, bailed them out and donated a 4th round pick to the 49ers.

The issues that critics have with Dak are even more prominent with Lance. He struggles with accuracy and processing reads. No one in Dallas has helped Dak with that so the idea that they would suddenly be able to help Lance seems farfetched.
Lance is also 23…I liked the trade if the idea was to extend him and move on (I believe in Dak but am open to anything at this point).

If we gave up a 4th and then just let him walk…another complete Cowboys blunder in roster management. Add it to the freaking list.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Basically after the 3rd round it’s a total crapshoot. We do better with UDFA’s than we do 4th round on.

raven55

Reaction score
well we will see on this qb but just think if they extend dak where does it leave him. some of you live in dream land i guess the draft is your only high point of the whole season see you next draft after draft and keep on dreaming an buying jerry's BS

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I'd probably try to end up with three seconds. Maybe they end up with two 2nds and two 3rds. What I want ultimately is a DE, LT, LB, RB. I could see them going C/OG if Biadasz leaves, that probably hurts them it would cost a draft pick at C but save them an $80M contract.

With the 5th, 6th, and two 7th......I guess just have fun with those picks. Probably get a DT, Dallas has luck in later rounds there. Get a 2nd RB, WR, swing T, C/OG, Tweener DE. So if they get some good guys at DE and DT / a couple OL / RB / LB I don't think they can do much better then that. I think the DL, OL and RB would have to play right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.