Cowboys Admission of Guilt

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
This team does not play every down with three LB. They do not use the Sam every down. Jaylon was supposed to play MLB eventually to replace Hitchens. I'm moving on and want LVE to succeed And Jaylon.
No NFL team plays 3 LBers on every down. You still have to have 3 quality starting LBers. Besides, Lee is getting older and is injury prone and we still don’t know how Smith is going to end up. He’s supposedly improving, but will he ever get back completely? Also, keeping him outside is better for his health (same with Lee). We were extremely thin at LBer. Go review last year’s Rams and Packers games and tell me this wasn’t a good pick. Those two games cost us a playoff spot.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Why does everyone talk as though Sean Lee will be reliable for the next 4-5 years. Maybe, just maybe, Smith and Vander Esch will be the two LBers in 2019 and beyond, with a cheap player as the third
Good point and realistic. Lee is aging and tends to fight injuries. And, we may see another LB drafted moving forward.

visionary

Reaction score
Improving cognition can sometimes hurt. You are welcome to stay in the shallow end if you like. Go Cowboys!

He's been diving there too long and has CTE so no hope of recovery. Just ignore him

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Improving cognition can sometimes hurt. You are welcome to stay in the shallow end if you like. Go Cowboys!
But your post is an opinion that not many are going to agree with. The jury is still out on Jaylon. We will know this year if he can perform at the pro level. Until the season starts, nobody knows, not even you. Many wanted defense and the analysts all said WR. Boy were they wrong. As far as I am concerned, great pick regardless of Jaylon's condition. We needed a LB and got a good one.

Blitzen

Reaction score
+-Before the draft I ran a few vids on LVE and thought he was OK but moved on. After the pick today I have watched his interviews
and read his history let me tell you you want this guy on your team. Big effort guy like Lee who is 32 and will take over Lee spot then Lee
starts coaching him. As far as admitting a mistake jezz man I love em both. After Lee has retired JSmith and LVE will be a dynamic duo.
Mistake? I dont think so.

And I am hopeful too. It is not what they were planning. If it makes it there organically now bully for the team and us fans.

John813

Reaction score
Way I see it, Smith and LVE are the future top 2 LBs.
While Lee is still here this year and next, his health can't be trusted and now we got a LB that has the ability to be a 3 down player and with upside to be elite.

I see this pick as more of a replacing Lee long term while picking one hell of an athlete that can be coached up.

Flamma

Reaction score
I see it as a combination of things. Smith is an unknown. We lost Hitchens and Lee is injury prone. We really had no choice but to draft an LB. Now had Lee never been injured and Jaylon played like a monster last year, I don't think we draft an LB 1st round.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I agree Jaylon has proven to be a mistake but losing Hitchens was just as responsible for this pick. I had no problem with them taking a chance on Jaylon but it’s how and where they did it that bothered me. You take that chance when he has fallen further than you can accept and have to go get him. You don’t chance unknowns high in the 2nd round and risk getting no value. They should have traded down a few times or drafted someone else and hoped he fell to them in the 3rd.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Had to replace Hitchens and after Smith LVE was the only true 3 down thumper who could come in and start day one. Good pick imo, not sexy, but good pick and fills there biggest need as well.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Or it could be they lost Hitchens, Lee is getting old, Jaylon could be average and Damien Wilson is an OK starter and the depth beyond that is pretty steep drop off.
I don't think this was a bad pick at all, we needed to replace Hitch.
but.... I probably wouldn't have taken him, we have other holes to fill and at 19 I would've grabbed a WR.
we could get a LB later in draft.

"It is what it is" Does JJ ever do what the fans expect?..lol

aikemirv

Reaction score
Lee is not reliable and Hitchens is gone.

LB was the biggest need in the draft. I would definitely preferred a trade-up for Edmunds and am still irritated but this has no reflection on Jaylon.

conner01

Reaction score
Let me be clear so that I don't have to read a bunch of lazy brain responses. I and every Cowboys supporter want to watch the Cowboys succeed.

Hoping LVE turns out to be the second coming of Urlacher. Looking back or criticizing yourself to me is about learning the lesson and improving. Yesterday's pick was in general a full admission of guilt from the DC that they made a big mistake with the Jaylon Smith pick. They were hoping that he would eventually take over and play MLB and play every down next to Sean Lee for at least 3-4 years. Yes, he may still end up turning his career on full blast this season. But it won't be what they were envisioning. 2nd round picks need to contribute more than he has, and he will be used elsewhere like Sam which may be his best fit. Not going to be playing tons of downs if LVE works out like they are hoping and Sean Lee stays healthy (also like they are hoping).

Hopefully, the Cowboys learned that character concerns and injury concerns are definitely enough to take the player off till like the 5th round if not altogether. This crap about Jerry having an advantage because of his job security is bulsh. Just because you can take greater risk does not improve your odds of hitting the lottery...
I don’t see how it has much to do with smith
We lost hitch and replaced him with hopefully an even better player
When Lee is out our defense falls apart and we got a kid some thinks can be special
Judging players is a fun exercise for fans but judging them after a 3 season is really the only way to really judge a player so we shal see
I think last nights pick was about drafting a player at a position of need that they think is a great prospect
And I’m not really a LVE fan

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree Jaylon has proven to be a mistake but losing Hitchens was just as responsible for this pick. I had no problem with them taking a chance on Jaylon but it’s how and where they did it that bothered me. You take that chance when he has fallen further than you can accept and have to go get him. You don’t chance unknowns high in the 2nd round and risk getting no value. They should have traded down a few times or drafted someone else and hoped he fell to them in the 3rd.

I think Jaylon would have fallen to the 3rd round. That said, don't be so sure he was a mistake. He had a lot of tackles last year and on a few plays I was sure it was Lee, it was Jaylon. So don't give up on the guy yet.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
3 years from now and we will know. Way too early to pass a judgement.
Some of those who has been drafted high might be out of the league by that time.

foofighters

Reaction score
Let me be clear so that I don't have to read a bunch of lazy brain responses. I and every Cowboys supporter want to watch the Cowboys succeed.

Hoping LVE turns out to be the second coming of Urlacher. Looking back or criticizing yourself to me is about learning the lesson and improving. Yesterday's pick was in general a full admission of guilt from the DC that they made a big mistake with the Jaylon Smith pick. They were hoping that he would eventually take over and play MLB and play every down next to Sean Lee for at least 3-4 years. Yes, he may still end up turning his career on full blast this season. But it won't be what they were envisioning. 2nd round picks need to contribute more than he has, and he will be used elsewhere like Sam which may be his best fit. Not going to be playing tons of downs if LVE works out like they are hoping and Sean Lee stays healthy (also like they are hoping).

Hopefully, the Cowboys learned that character concerns and injury concerns are definitely enough to take the player off till like the 5th round if not altogether. This crap about Jerry having an advantage because of his job security is bulsh. Just because you can take greater risk does not improve your odds of hitting the lottery...
Meh...we needed help in our LB position. Maybe you want it to be an admission...maybe need it to be. I really think this is more about yourself than anything else. Here, come lie down on the couch and tell me how your dad yelled at you too loudly when you were younger...

blueblood70

Reaction score

how do you figure? we need for one to replace Hitchens and Wilber as they left, we need starters and depth. so we bring in a player who supposedly has size and athleticism to play any of the positions.. so he can start or backup both positions Lee and Smith Play.. thats what hes here for.. it was coin flip over him and evans..sure it wasn't a sexy pick but IMO trading up would have been costly as all they could talk about is outside the top15 teams were less willing to trade after that for your left over 1st and really wanted 2's and Threes and many of them..So as much as i was seeing James fall and say we have a shot, it simply might have been too costly.. they have 9 picks left..

all the months of speculations and like a million mock drafts and this draft got blown up from pick one to pick 32..5 qbs taken 4 in top 10 but BM going 1 RB going 2 and than Denvers pick a CB they trade up for no one saw coming , than both WRs slipping way far down Landry not taken and Rashaad Penny going to Seattle as the 2nd RB and ending with a trade up to get Jackson..

one of the most unexpected drafts to date that i can remember and we still have 6 rounds left..

a lot of complaints before LVE and other see the field is just emotional..i for one didnt want a WR in the first and maybe its a mistake but we will see.. Im hoping we get Sutton, Miller, Chark, or Kirk in the 2nd they will be there.. not sure why they love Sutton so much but i never saw the kid play..they are telegraphing that pick as well as LVE it was discussed here and if they feel they are good for the team, ill get on board until they fail..its only fair to wait for the Bust or Reach words..its not a failure until it is..

blueblood70

Reaction score
3 years from now and we will know. Way too early to pass a judgement.
Some of those who has been drafted high might be out of the league by that time.
thank you we need some positive to go with all this cliff jumping here..its one pick lets get the rest of them in here and get to TC..im ready for some football

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think Jaylon would have fallen to the 3rd round. That said, don't be so sure he was a mistake. He had a lot of tackles last year and on a few plays I was sure it was Lee, it was Jaylon. So don't give up on the guy yet.

I haven’t given up on him. I really like everything about him but where they drafted him has already proven to be a mistake. He was too much of a gamble where he was picked and had a 98% chance of being had later, either by trading down or with their next pick.