Cowboys and Dan Reeves? Possible Consultant? (Per Mort; Link added)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2604303 said:
Yes. Usually it is great to have a consultant standing over your coaching staff ... waiting like a vulture ...
The guy wanted to be a HC this season, but didn't get a single interview. I think he's too "out of it" to even be a coordinator. But this role is perfect for him and the team.

Reaction score
Aikbach;2604304 said:
Reeves is the closest thing to Landry in the modern world, the last vestige of Landry coaching on planet earth.

Don't forget about Mike Ditka he learned a lot from Landry too.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;2604316 said:
Just what this organization needs: young blood.
Sure, we need more inexperienced, but brilliant, coaching talent to learn on the job.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
bbgun;2604316 said:
Just what this organization needs: young blood.

This organization needs discipline. It does not matter if it comes from young or old.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2604320 said:
This organization needs discipline. It does not matter if it comes from young or old.

Agreed, but when's the last time you saw that coming from a mere consultant? Would he be at Valley Ranch every day? How much authority would he wield? Would he be subservient to Wade? Is he bringing more than a famous name? Et cetera.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
theogt;2604318 said:
Sure, we need more inexperienced, but brilliant, coaching talent to learn on the job.

reeves was coaching offense long before tecmo ball was ever invented :laugh2:

Alexander

Reaction score
bbgun;2604324 said:
Agreed, but when's the last time you saw that coming from a mere consultant? Would he be at Valley Ranch every day? How much authority would he wield? Would he be subservient to Wade? Is he bringing more than a famous name? Et cetera.

I really do not think that there is that much to it really. I have yet to see any so called consultant ever play a fully active role.

It is really hard to gauge. I guess in a strange way it would help Phillips. It could also be window dressing.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;2604324 said:
He would be a consultant to the coaches, so how would you ever know? As for the last time it happened...Ron Wolf for Green Bay after he stepped down yet still wielded influence.

Alexander

Reaction score
I never noticed before but this is not the first time Reeves has done this:

Updated: December 12, 2005, 10:59 PM ET
Texans hire former NFL coach Reeves as consultant

Email Print By Len Pasquareli
ESPN.com

In an effort to bring another perspective to the ongoing evaluation of his team over the final month of the season, and to perhaps lend insights into the direction for the future, Houston owner Bob McNair has hired former NFL coach Dan Reeves as a special consultant.

Dan Reeves is joining the Texans as a consultant, two years after being fired as the Falcons' head coach.There had been whispers over the past week that McNair, whose franchise owns the NFL's worst record at 1-12, might seek input from an independent party.
McNair made it clear that Reeves was not interviewing to be coach of the Texans, nor was he brought in to critique coach Dom Capers or general manager Charley Casserly.

"He's here as a resource to assist me as we go forward and to assist the other people in our organization to help us be a better team," McNair said.

McNair said he hired Reeves to get an outside opinion of his organization and that he would spend time talking with coaches, watching practice and reviewing game film.

Reeves, 61, has not coached in the NFL since 2003, when he left the Falcons with three games remaining in the regular season, after being apprised by owner Arthur Blank that he would not be retained for 2004.

In 23 seasons as a head coach with Denver (1981-92), the New York Giants (1993-96) and the Falcons (1997-2003), Reeves compiled a 201-174-2 record, including playoff games. He ranks sixth all-time in coaching victories. Reeves led his teams to four Super Bowl appearances. As a player, assistant coach and head coach, he participated in nine Super Bowl games.

Most recently, Reeves has co-hosted a national radio show.

While he has left open the possibility of returning to the sideline, Reeves' role with the Texans will be as an observer. In that role, he is expected to consult with Capers and Casserly, and report to McNair.

He wouldn't rule out the possibility of returning to coaching ("Never is a bad word to say") but said he wasn't actively looking for a job.

The addition of Reeves, even in just a consulting role, will almost certainly further fuel the rumors that the Texans will undergo changes, with Capers likely being dismissed, at the end of the season. Capers is the only coach the expansion Texans have had during their four-year existence, and the club has a 17-44 record under his stewardship.

Reeves said he was "flattered" when contacted by McNair last week and that it was the first time anyone besides journalists had asked for his opinion on an NFL team since he left coaching.

"I want to be an asset," Reeves said while flanked by McNair and Capers at a news conference. "I don't want to be a threat to anybody."

"I want to be able to give some insights and thought into what I feel like good organizations have done," he said.

Until this year, Houston (1-12) had been a model of steady improvement, winning seven games last season after winning five in 2003 and four in its first season.

But the Texans have lost six straight games for the second time this year, including three in a row that slipped out of their hands in the final minute.

Reiterating earlier statements, McNair said he would not make any top level personnel changes until after the season.

"None of us are happy with the performance of our team this year," McNair said. "We're all disappointed. It's been very frustrating and we all want to do everything we can to improve our team. That's what this effort is all about."

Capers said he has the "utmost respect" for Reeves, calling him a "very bright guy," and doesn't think his presence will be a distraction.

"If Bob had talked to me about coming here and being the head coach, I wouldn't be standing here sitting next to Dom saying 'I am going to try to help Dom,'" Reeves said. "If somebody called me and I thought it was a great opportunity then I'm a football coach first."

McNair said Reeves would likely be with the team for ``a couple of months,'' but that he could remain with the Texans longer.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2604337 said:
He would be a consultant to the coaches, so how would you ever know? As for the last time it happened...Ron Wolf for Green Bay after he stepped down yet still wielded influence.

Consult them on what? Wade is almost as old as Dan, and defense ain't Reeves' specialty. Guess that leaves Garrett. As for Wolf, he built a championship team up there, so naturally they'd want to keep in his good graces. I don't know; this just smells like a phony baloney "phone it in" job to create the illusion of change. If he moves to Dallas and throws himself into the day to day operations of the team, I'll sing a different tune.

rw54

Reaction score
I like this alot. Dan Reeves knows football from organizational setup to how to run a good screen pass. He knows how to handle a coaching staff and how to arrange practices for good execution. He could be a very valuable voice in this organization. He doesn't have a great eye for talent but he does know how to get the most out of the talent he has. More importantly, he knows how to adapt and he knows how to share that knowledge with others. Great guy to have in an organization.

Alexander

Reaction score
bbgun;2604356 said:
Consult them on what? Wade is almost as old as Dan, and defense ain't Reeves' specialty. Guess that leaves Garrett. As for Wolf, he built a championship team up there, so naturally they'd want to keep in his good graces. I don't know; this just smells like a phony baloney "phone it in" job to create the illusion of change. If he moves to Dallas and throws himself into the day to day operations of the team, I'll sing a different tune.

Take a look at what he did with the Texans. That's probably what he will do.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;2604356 said:
The guy wants to get back into coaching. Why would he turn down an OC job to just come phone it in?

Alexander

Reaction score
theogt;2604364 said:
The guy wants to get back into coaching. Why would he turn down an OC job to just come phone it in?

He's not the only person to turn down the offensive coordinator position in San Francisco. It is quite possible it just wasn't for him. Just like it wasn't for Linehan or Chudzinski.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Alexander;2604362 said:
Take a look at what he did with the Texans. That's probably what he will do.
In Houston he was hired to evaluate the organization and they fired much of the coaching staff, including the head coach, directly after hiring him, so that may be quite a bit. Somehow I doubt he'd be brought in here to help clean out the coaching staff, though.

Alexander;2604366 said:
He's not the only person to turn down the offensive coordinator position in San Francisco. It is quite possible it just wasn't for him. Just like it wasn't for Linehan or Chudzinski.
True. Must be depressing to be a 49ers fan right now.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2604364 said:

That remains to be seen. You don't have to be "on-site" to be a consultant. If his stint in Houston is a preview of his intentions, then that's encouraging.