Cowboys and Dan Reeves? Possible Consultant? (Per Mort; Link added)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
theogt;2604367 said:
Well, they fired much of the coaching staff, including the head coach directly after hiring Reeves, so that may be quite a bit. Somehow I doubt he'd be brought in here to help clean out the coaching staff, though.

But look at what he helped usher in. Gary Kubiak. The Denver scheme.

Perhaps he is here to prep for the arrival of Shanahan? Nevermind me, I am just hoping.

True. Must be depressing to be a 49ers fan right now.

Good.

Alexander

Reaction score
Interesting connections here:

dan-reeves.gif

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2604339 said:
you guys never know, this could be the closest thing Jerry does to hiring a GM

this was my first thought.........he is bringing in a real football guy...YES...

Alexander

Reaction score
dadymat;2604385 said:
this was my first thought.........he is bringing in a real football guy...YES...

Not a slam on Reeves, but if he really wanted to do that, there are better around. This is probably more of a convenience move.

He is beloved by the fanbase that remembers the Landry days. He's very good friends with Phillips. DeCamillis is his son-in-law. And it is a way back "in" with a high profile. It certainly beats taking the coordinator job in San Francisco.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2604387 said:
Not a slam on Reeves, but if he really wanted to do that, there are better around. This is probably more of a convenience move.

He is beloved by the fanbase that remembers the Landry days. He's very good friends with Phillips. DeCamillis is his son-in-law. And it is a way back "in" with a high profile. It certainly beats taking the coordinator job in San Francisco.

think about it

Dan Reeves serves GM duties, but as "consultant", and Jerry still gets the credit

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Listening to the radio broadcasts...Dan really enjoys Tony's play. Could be a blessing...definitely wouldn't hurt.

Would he command the respect of the Marty B's of the locker room, though?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2604396 said:
think about it

Dan Reeves serves GM duties, but as "consultant", and Jerry still gets the credit
I was thinking he serves as the de facto head coach. He gives Wade the ability to focus solely on the defense without having to keep Garrett from ruining the offense.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2604400 said:
I was thinking he serves as the de facto head coach. He gives Wade the ability to focus solely on the defense without having to keep Garrett from ruining the offense.

either way, Jerry Jones tries to salvage his reputation w/o taking anything away

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Dan's our man.

Restore the Landry spirit of disciplined personal and practice field behavior and you can lift your team to coming up big on the road in Green Bay at 16 below.

Nothing wrong with a little Ditka too.This team could use a little Reeves/Waters/Ditka/Newhouse/Jordan/Lilly/Rayfield Wright, Landry-esque magic dust.

Let the young fan's on the board wisecrack all they want it's going to be difficult getting Wade to turn into a tough guy without importing some tough-guy macho dust to sprinkle around. Nothing like old Cowboy tough-guy macho dust with SB rings to flash around.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
REEVES TO THE COWBOYS?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 27, 2009, 12:03 a.m.

Only a handful of days after the name “Dan Reeves” made a dramatic and unexpected return to the NFL landscape, with the former Broncos, Giants, and Falcons coach linked to the offensive coordinator position in San Francisco, Reeves could be landing instead in Dallas.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that Reeves currently is engaged in talks with the Cowboys regarding a possible role as a consultant.

Though Reeves’ precise role at this point isn’t clear, it’s possible that he could serve in a Bill Parcells-style role with the team, overseeing the personnel and coaching functions.

For owner Jerry Jones, who also serves as the team’s General Manager, bringing a guy like Reeves aboard would represent an implicit concession that Jones realizes the team needs help.

Current coach Wade Phillips once worked for Reeves as a defensive coordinator, and Reeves’ son-in-law, Joe DeCamillis, was hired not long ago to be the Cowboys’ new special teams coordinator.

Reeves played for the Cowboys in the 1960s and 1970s, and he worked for Tom Landry as an assistant coach.

During his playing and coaching career, Reeves was involved in a total of nine Super Bowls — two as a player, three as an assistant coach, and four as a head coach.

Reeves has been out of football since being fired by the Falcons during the 2003 season.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought a move like this would come in the form of replacing Wade Wilson, but this move makes perfect sense.

Reeves isn't someone I'd have thought of, but he's a really, really good choice for this role. He's seen and done everything in this league, and would be a perfect resource for both Garrett and Romo. Love this.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Rampage;2604460 said:
Jerry is getting desperate now.
By hiring a consultant?

If by desperate you mean making the moves necessary for this team to better itself then I guess you could call it desperate.

Every team hires consultants. It doesn't necessarily reflect one way or the other on Jerry.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
windward;2604464 said:
By hiring a consultant?

If by desperate you mean making the moves necessary for this team to better itself then I guess you could call it desperate.

Every team hires consultants. It doesn't necessarily reflect one way or the other on Jerry.

You couldn't be more wrong. He's desperate when he hires someone, and clueless and not willing to change when he does not. The only question is whether or not Dan Reeves has value as a consultant, which is a pretty easy question to answer.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
DuaneThomas71;2604305 said:
If this is true, Owens is gone.

I guess a number of people on this board can dance, since they think this move will win the team more games somehow.

Actually, I think it may mean TO stays. It will all depend on his role.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
windward;2604464 said:
By hiring a consultant?

desperate in the sense he's realizing he needs major help. he's realizing he doesn't know what he's doing and is bringing in someone who clearly does. desperate that he knows he can't make the mess he created work without some help.