Cowboys and Dan Reeves? Possible Consultant? (Per Mort; Link added)

hendog

Reaction score
The man has coached or played in 9 Super Bowls.I can't see how this could be anything but positive.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
For those of us who think the logical thing to do when one is driving off a cliff is either to hit the break or turn the steering wheel, this can't be a bad thing, unless it is merely a PRB stunt. I'm sure Reeves doesn't think that's the case, and maybe it isn't.

I don't think this is a major step in the right direction, but maybe it means Jones recognizes most of his recent steps have been in the wrong direction.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Rampage;2604460 said:
Jerry is getting desperate now.

Actually, I have to give Jerry alot of credit.

It takes a big man to admit that he needs some help. Nobody on this board would like to admit they need help with their job, its just human nature.

I think some posters on here are correct that this might just in fact be the closest thing we get to Jerry hiring a GM.

Reeves played for the Boyz, he was an assistant coach under Landry, he is #6 on the all-time winning list, and he has participated in 9 SuperBowls. The man knows what the hell he is talking about and commands respect.

He brings "instant credibility" to the Boyz.

Woods

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2604552 said:
Actually, I have to give Jerry alot of credit.

It takes a big man to admit that he needs some help. Nobody on this board would like to admit they need help with their job, its just human nature.

I think some posters on here are correct that this might just in fact be the closest thing we get to Jerry hiring a GM.

Reeves played for the Boyz, he was an assistant coach under Landry, he is #6 on the all-time winning list, and he has participated in 9 SuperBowls. The man knows what the hell he is talking about and commands respect.

He brings "instant credibility" to the Boyz.

I agree 100% with you.

At the very least, Reeves could help Garrett form an identity for our offense, help put in the foundation for accountability by both the coaching staff and players, help scout players from a coaching standpoint, and act as a sounding board for Wade and JJ.

djmajestik

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2604298 said:
I laffed.

You're right though.

Question is, would RJ listen to a bumkin like Reeves? ;)

Seriously, this would be a GREAT move. Love it. Not only does Reeves know his stuff, he'd be a "Wade guy" and there'd be no question about his loyalties.

But wouldn't Red balk at this, wouldn't this make him uncomfortable? Oh, yeah, that was Barney Stewart.

barney%20fife.jpg

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
If this turns out to be true I will be extremely pleased. Reeves will help bring discipline back to VR. Hopefully the circus atmosphere will leave again.

Dan always belonged here.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Woods;2604555 said:
I agree 100% with you.

At the very least, Reeves could help Garrett form an identity for our offense, help put in the foundation for accountability by both the coaching staff and players, help scout players from a coaching standpoint, and act as a sounding board for Wade and JJ.

I would love to see what Reeves says to Garrett after looking at his playbook and seeing it is full of nothing but 20 and 30 yard pass plays.

Reeves would slap him upside the head and ask him, "what the hell is wrong with you, this is no video game"???

:laugh2:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
What?

Some crediability to our organization?

Please make this come true!

Dan Reeves is one of my all-time favorites.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Aikbach;2604294 said:
Full time or just for training camp like Parcells used to do with Coughlin and Burt and Banks and people with no Cowboy connections that shortly went on to be coaches with insider first hand knowledge of Dallas?

Those were situational consultants and not in negotiations with the Cowboys. This would appear to be a yearly or season long position. Perhaps also an ancillary or ghost GM role.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Found this in the classifieds.

Wanted: Dallas Cowboys Consultant

The Dallas Cowboys are looking for an experienced NFL mind to help steer the team in the right direction. Qualified applicant must have multiple years of experience at the professional level with at least one head coaching campaign. Multiple coaching ties to current staff is an absolute MUST and age is of no real importance.

This position has the potential to be long term but most likely is only going to be a few seasons.

Required Duties:

disney-pinocchio-lifesize-marionette-1.jpg

thisisepic

One and Done
Reaction score
Best news I have heard in a long time.

I don't see how some can think this is a bad idea. :confused:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I agree bring him in. Jerry needs some fresh eyes to look at this team.

As for him being too old Dick LeBeau one of the best if not the best DC in the league is 71 and Jim Johnson is right there with him.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Reeves certainly commands respect, but this seems like just another layer on a dysfunctional system that begs for a real coach + GM. Not another coach to coach our existing coach.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsay;2604580 said:
Reeves certainly commands respect, but this seems like just another layer on a dysfunctional system that begs for a real coach + GM. Not another coach to coach our existing coach.

I couldn't agree more. I would've loved for Reeves to have been hired as the HC 10-15 years ago. But I don't know what this does for us now.

Like you said, is he going to have to coach the coaches? If Wade and Garrett are that weak and need that much help, then just replace them. And Lord knows Jerry needs all the help he can get as GM, but I doubt he's bringing Dan here to help him, since I doubt he thinks he needs help with his vast "20 years of experience".

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bach;2604583 said:
I couldn't agree more. I would've loved for Reeves to have been hired as the HC 10-15 years ago. But I don't know what this does for us now.

Like you said, is he going to have to coach the coaches? If Wade and Garrett are that weak and need that much help, then just replace them. And Lord knows Jerry needs all the help he can get as GM, but I doubt he's bringing Dan here to help him, since I doubt he thinks he needs help with his vast "20 years of experience".
I always wanted Reeves to be the one who replaced Landry when he retired. This would just feel right to me if it happens.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2604584 said:
I always wanted Reeves to be the one who replaced Landry when he retired. This would just feel right to me if it happens.

I always thought Reeves would take over when Landry stepped down too.

But right now, aside from reuniting Reeves with the Cowboys, what's the point?

If we need a new GM, then hire a GM. If we need a new HC, then hire a HC. If we need a new OC, then hire an OC.

It may not be a bad thing, but it just seems like another of Jerry's schemes to placate the fans by putting a bandaid on something instead of fixing any real problems.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Bach;2604583 said:

Well, if they do this right, he won't coach the coaches, he'll be first and foremost in charge of all things discipline-related.