Cowboys and Dan Reeves? Possible Consultant? (Per Mort; Link added)

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;2604594 said:
Well, if they do this right, he won't coach the coaches, he'll be first and foremost in charge of all things discipline-related.

Kind of odd the coaches can't instill discipline. But I guess when you hire soft coaches and then undermine them you need a consultant. :confused:

tunahelper

Reaction score
I think this is a great move.

Honorable men with football knoweldge is something Dallas needs more of. If the players/coaches dont recognize that they are unworthy of being Champions.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
This is the 'change and continuity' we've been looking for. I have said from the end of the season on that we need discipline and, since we're not going to get it from the owner and head coach, then it's got to come from the coordinators. Now that JG has been resigned, there's no way to get it there and in order to get it from the DC you need a 'henchman' -- someone who would be a flunky to Wade and a disciplinarian to everyone else, and these folks likely don't grow on trees.

This is a nice workaround with potential (again, given the 'change and continuity' parameters we're working within.) Will it work? Maybe, maybe not but it stands a viable chance.

On edit: that should read 'Now that JG is staying', not 'resigned' of course.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Bach;2604600 said:
Kind of odd the coaches can't instill discipline. But I guess when you hire soft coaches and then undermine them you need a consultant. :confused:
Umm...yeah, we all get the point.

But assuming that JJ is still the owner next season, then what should be done?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bach;2604588 said:
I always thought Reeves would take over when Landry stepped down too.

But right now, aside from reuniting Reeves with the Cowboys, what's the point?

If we need a new GM, then hire a GM. If we need a new HC, then hire a HC. If we need a new OC, then hire an OC.

It may not be a bad thing, but it just seems like another of Jerry's schemes to placate the fans by putting a bandaid on something instead of fixing any real problems.
I could care less about the point. He's a good football man. Great to have him around.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
And the countdown until Vicks release..

If I'm not wrong, wasn't he one of fine few who stood up in his defense?

Aside from that everything else about this potential signing sounds good. I just don't like that he's cultivated an essence that he supports players like this. And isn't that part of the current problem with our team?

Of course if god forbid it ever were to happen it wouldn't solely be his fault, Jerry is also buddies with another former post-drama supporter of Vicks, Ron Wolf.

And now if memory serves me correctly, these 2 guys were about the only whom stood up in his defesne.

---------------------------------------------

COULD 49ERS GIVE MICHAEL VICK A HOME?

Posted by Josh Alper on January 23, 2009, 8:13 p.m. EST
On our post about Dan Reeves interviewing with the 49ers, a commenter posited that Reeves going to San Francisco equaled Michael Vick going to San Francisco. It makes some sense, Reeves was the Falcons coach when they traded with the Chargers to make Vick the first overall pick in the 2001 draft and the 49ers aren’t set at the quarterback position.

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network is having similar thoughts. He points out that Hue Jackson, who interviewed for the offensive coordinator job on Friday, worked with Vick during his year as the Falcons coordinator and that the Niners have also expressed interest in Mike Johnson, who worked as Vick’s quarterback coach for three seasons with the Falcons.

It bears mentioning that Jackson was hired as the Falcons offensive coordinator in January 2007 and news of Vick’s involvement with the Bad Newz Kennels broke in April of that year, effectively ending his association with the team. The other two men, however, had longer, relatively successful relationships with the quarterback.

Their signing of cornerback Jimmy Williams on Thursday shows that the team doesn’t have a problem taking on players with sketchy pasts. And, as you might recall, Williams and Vick share both an alma mater and a history with the Falcons.

Due to be released from federal custody on July 20, it’s unlikely that Vick could step in and win a starting job with the 49ers or anyone else in time for the start of the season. The 49ers have made no public statement about interest in Vick at this point, but their quarterback need is big enough that they’d be among the teams most likely to consider giving him a shot.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;2604604 said:
Umm...yeah, we all get the point.

But assuming that JJ is still the owner next season, then what should be done?

Um, maybe hire a quality HC and give him the power and authority to do his job.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Bach;2604616 said:
Um, maybe hire a quality HC and give him the power and authority to do his job.
Fine. I'd be for it. Grab the right one and that is head and shoulders a better solution than this. But since it's not going to happen...

I'm for this move but I don't pretend that it's a sure thing, especially since we really have no idea how he is going to be used at this stage.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Egad, hide the dogs! Michael Vick could be headed to town to backup/push Romo.

If ANYONE would take a flier on Vick, it would be Jerry. The circus must go on I guess.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
Bach;2604588 said:
I always thought Reeves would take over when Landry stepped down too.

But right now, aside from reuniting Reeves with the Cowboys, what's the point?

If we need a new GM, then hire a GM. If we need a new HC, then hire a HC. If we need a new OC, then hire an OC.

It may not be a bad thing, but it just seems like another of Jerry's schemes to placate the fans by putting a bandaid on something instead of fixing any real problems.

You are living in a dream world if you think Jerry is going to ever replace himself as GM. I don't think anyone would argue that Reeves is a 'football guy'. I see this as Jerry bringing in a football guy to help him assess his team. Maybe he finally sees that he needs someone who sees the team for what it is and not the prism Jerry looks through.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;2604621 said:
Fine. I'd be for it. Grab the right one and that is head and shoulders a better solution than this. But since it's not going to happen...

Well that's the standard copout for everything around here.

Any suggestion other than something Jerry does is met with "well that's not going to happen". So what's the point in asking?

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
CIWhitefish;2604624 said:
You are living in a dream world if you think Jerry is going to ever replace himself as GM. I don't think anyone would argue that Reeves is a 'football guy'. I see this as Jerry bringing in a football guy to help him assess his team. Maybe he finally sees that he needs someone who sees the team for what it is and not the prism Jerry looks through.

I also mentioned HC and OC. And I didn't say Jerry would replace himself as GM, just that he should.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Dhragon;2604622 said:

If ANYONE would take a flier on Vick, it would be Jerry. The circus must go on I guess.
No. Please. Don't do this to me.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Aikbach;2604294 said:
Full time or just for training camp like Parcells used to do with Coughlin and Burt and Banks and people with no Cowboy connections that shortly went on to be coaches with insider first hand knowledge of Dallas?

Yeah that really pissed me off. Guys like Michael couldn't come around the facility they helped build, but Jim Burt can roam our sidelines?

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Bach;2604629 said:
Well that's the standard copout for everything around here.

Any suggestion other than something Jerry does is met with "well that's not going to happen". So what's the point in asking?
I don't think it's a copout. We're all repeating ourselves in here. There's only so many ways we can say, essentially, the same things over and over to the same people during this prematurely hatched offseason.

But, hey, I'm here of my own will so fire away :)

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
Bach;2604631 said:
I also mentioned HC and OC. And I didn't say Jerry would replace himself as GM, just that he should.

Yes you did. I only mentioned GM because that's the role that's central to a teams direction in my mind. I was not discounting the other two.

At any rate (how bout 5%) it boils down to if this happens it shows a willingness in Jerry to do something. Yes more could be done but a leopard is not going to become a lion overnight.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Dhragon;2604622 said:

[youtube]xYvxyl8981Y[/youtube]

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Goodlord ........ the Jerry haters even attack a Dan Reeves thread???

This is getting ridiculous.

I hope these people are happy for making this board less enjoyable for those who do not share their agenda.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Well this is from Mort....who has Mendoza line accuracy with Cowboys stories.

I'm not too nutty about Reeves as a consultant. He was pretty crappy at drafting when he was with teams. His teams could often look soft, confused, etc on the field. Strangely, he was the type of coach who did very well with 'one man gang' type of teams (i.e. Elway, Jamal Anderson, Vick). Had a decent offensive mind, but would do ridiculously stupid things. Admitted in a post game PC once that he didn't use TJ Duckett in the second half...then a first round rookie pick for the Falcons....because he 'forgot' that he was on the team. Later on the Atlanta media showed clips of Duckett standing right next to Reeves during the second half of that game he forgot about him.

Maybe Wade and Reeves work well together and Wade requested it. And maybe Reeves is just there to point out some things about what Garrett is doing on offense so Wade and Reeves can better understand. But other than that, I don't know of what use Reeves can be to the team.

YAKUZA