Cowboys Break OTA: Jaylon “Doesn’t Look Good Right Now”

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That was a given on draft day
Jaylon is not a MLB
I’d use him on strong side, rush him off the edge and next year move on
I’m not sold that Cox is the guy to replace him but we shall see
Him and LVE are in their last year here and the only question is does cox replace one or do we draft another LB next year
Cox is probably a weak side LB and for coverage. Jaylon is limited and I have been saying that for a while. he is a one down or two down LB. he is so exposed in coverage, that if I see him as an OC, I am licking my chops, designing plays to attack him over the middle. Jaylon just doesn't have any agility or movement right now. they have to tell him pick one of two holes and attack on rush defense. that's about it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think the idea is to hear from several different perspectives. I see no problem with her view point sprinkled into the show. To each his own.
That's not what that shows about. If you want to get the average fan's perspective then go out on the street and start talking to the people there about the Cowboys. The hosts of that show are allowed to see things we do not get to see and then report on it. But that's not what Ambar does. She is not a trained journalist and does not have the journalist's eye to report those observations. It's not anything the people that listen to that show want to hear.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
You know.....its pretty low to knock how a guy looks in "OTA's".....can I believe Parsons looked more fluid then he did? Damn right I can. But this criticism of him during OTA's is just insane. I've never heard anyone knocked for how they look in OTA's lol...just wow.

Didn’t Bobby Carpenter get dominated by a backup tight end in OTAs, or was that during camp?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just because her perspective lines up with yours doesn't make it right. She speaks with absolutely no objectivity, just emotion. I see the appeal from a fan's perspective but a fan's perspective is not why I listen to "The Break". She should have never been on that podcast.
But because you don't agree, she MUST be wrong and "emotional". Works both ways. You aren't the arbiter of objectivity.

If you haven't noticed jaylons oft awkward movements, you are KIDDING YOURSELF!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What Jaylon is doing "right now" isn't nearly as important as what he's doing 2 or 3 months from now. Maybe he's sore due to the offseason layoff. Let's be concerned when the time comes to actually be concerned. "Right now" is premature. In 2 months, it won't be. What, we can't wait to criticize?! o_O
We have actual games that we can critique. Or ignore, if you wish.

OTA's are also a time of evaluation, not just drills. So yes...criticize away! Even if one disagrees or it's unfavorable.

Wait...let's just do this instead..and save us all the bother:

"Jaylon's looks great. His hopskip he's been doing for two years? Completely gone! He is SO FLUID, more than EVER!....he'll have the best year of his career!".

There, that should do, we can move on now.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do you have to be in a band to play a full song? :rolleyes:
When did i say you have to be "in a band to play a song".

I never said that. What I did say is that being in a band to play full songs is like playing a real NFL game. Playing on your own...is fine. There's very specific interactions and awareness when playing in a full band.

As I said...that would be totally unnecessary for me to assess a player. And that's what is being done here. Assessing the very basics of NFL movements. If something looks odd at this point....something is wrong.

I am not saying I know for a fact that 2021 OTA's Jaylon looks bad OR good. We have to rely on a variety of reports and not just what suit are petty ego agenda. ("ego" in the true clinical sense).

Mannix

Reaction score
-------Jaylon still having "drop foot" would be news. It would also be noticeable. There's no evidence in how he moves that this is the case.

Huh.....???????......it HAS clearly been noticeable.....his lateral movement sucks!!!

CWR

Reaction score
That's not what that shows about. If you want to get the average fan's perspective then go out on the street and start talking to the people there about the Cowboys. The hosts of that show are allowed to see things we do not get to see and then report on it. But that's not what Ambar does. She is not a trained journalist and does not have the journalist's eye to report those observations. It's not anything the people that listen to that show want to hear.

Oh, but I like her takes. I'm also one of the "people" who listen to the show. Maybe you should find the program director and give him a good talking to.

CWR

Reaction score
But because you don't agree, she MUST be wrong and "emotional". Works both ways. You aren't the arbiter of objectivity.

If you haven't noticed jaylons oft awkward movements, you are KIDDING YOURSELF!
:hammer:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Oh, but I like her takes. I'm also one of the "people" who listen to the show. Maybe you should find the program director and give him a good talking to.
You are just enamored by her pregnant glow. Her perspective is pedestrian at best.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I never said that. What I did say is that being in a band to play full songs is like playing a real NFL game. Playing on your own...is fine. There's very specific interactions and awareness when playing in a full band.

As I said...that would be totally unnecessary for me to assess a player. And that's what is being done here. Assessing the very basics of NFL movements. If something looks odd at this point....something is wrong.

I am not saying I know for a fact that 2021 OTA's Jaylon looks bad OR good. We have to rely on a variety of reports and not just what suit are petty ego agenda. ("ego" in the true clinical sense).
Being in a band to play a full song was your words, not mine. If you object to it putting that way then you are just arguing with your own words. You remind me of the bum at the bus stop that is always seen arguing with himself. :muttley:

Dre11

Reaction score
They noted that since he’s had offseason wrist injury it’s probably played into slowing him down but they still feel “he does not look as fluid as he has in the past”. They sounded pretty disappointed and said it was “refreshing” to see the difference between him and Parsons. Hopefully he gets going by week 1 because if not he’s outta here in 2022.

It’s around the 10:20 mark btw.

Listen to the whole thing, Dave shoots back at Nick and Amber. saying Smith looked no different than Parsons. Amber doesn't know what she's looking at, and hates Jaylon with a passion.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I wish ONE J. Smith detractor, would coherently explain why they love LVE, but despise JS.

So this is my understanding of the Jaylon

They hate Jaylon's swipe.......LVE had the wolf howl.
They hate Jaylon's play.....LVE was even worse last year.
They hate that Jaylon looks injured....LVE can't even get on the field.

Its really mind boggling....

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

I'm not ready to say he'll be great any more than I'm ready to call him a bust.

It takes time to prove oneself, just like it takes time not to. I'll give it 8 weeks. o_O