Cowboys By No Means Out on Earl Thomas

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doit. Make it incentive based. Pro bowl , interceptions. Playoff wins, Super Bowl, games played. Whatever. We need this guy.
If they're in a bidding war, none of that would work. He's not going to do an incentive laden deal because he doesn't have to at this point.

JayFord

Reaction score
Doit. Make it incentive based. Pro bowl , interceptions. Playoff wins, Super Bowl, games played. Whatever. We need this guy.

Us ? Doing an incentive deal?

What like $1 per int?
$0.50 fo for fumble?
$1.25 for fumble recoveries?
$0.02 per 20 tackles?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s easy to talk about, but not so easy to do. Star players are looking for guaranteed money.

Hardline

Reaction score
whatever extra money he gets from the 49ers will be lost in state taxes,ET is better off signing with us.
I've never seen taxes play out in negotiations as a deciding factor.
If that were the case the Cowboys,Mavericks and Rangers would be #1 on every free agents list.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why is Seattle letting him leave?

Just saying....
They might have been to reconcile the approaching Garrett stunt but when he flipped the coaches off, it was over. I think Carroll would try and keep him if it was only up to him because he's the one that put that Legion of Boom together but then allowed it to be dismantled.

The tell on this to me is how hard they go after him and if they pay that close to 13M for him, Richard is behind that and that should make all of us more comfortable because no one knows him better. If he's willing to go on the line for him after only being here for over a year, that's all I need to know.

One thing we do not know, is this DL going to get fixed? We're not even sure if it will be as good as last year and if it isn't, the next best thing is fixing the secondary. He's a ball hawk and that could concern a QB as much as the pass rush. The Cowboys could end up with a top 3 or better secondary with him.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that were the case the Cowboys,Mavericks and Rangers would be #1 on every free agents list.
Agents net out the money to their players so that does enter into it in the final decision. He's coming from a state with no state income tax. FL and NV don't have any either.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
whatever extra money he gets from the 49ers will be lost in state taxes,ET is better off signing with us.
Good point on the taxes.

I got a buddy from college that lives in LA and he is always complaining about the taxes there. Between local, state, sales, property, and income, he easily pays 50% tax rate.

It’s insane! I tell him to move to Texas, I make a good living and paid 28% including everything last year.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Us ? Doing an incentive deal?

What like $1 per int?
$0.50 fo for fumble?
$1.25 for fumble recoveries?
$0.02 per 20 tackles?
Dude we get it already
giphy.gif

Hardline

Reaction score
Agents net out the money to their players so that does enter into it in the final decision. He's coming from a state with no state income tax. FL and NV don't have any either.
I see this every year . It never happens .

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
This team for a few years has been thoroughly committed to building through the draft. For several years before this era we often hurt ourselves with overpriced old vets.

Now we've got the space to make moves and we should but this move feels too far to the other side of the spectrum. Tons of good safeties on the market and in the draft. No reason to get hung up on ET and overpay.

In-between the dirt cheap bridge players and the 15M/YR 30 year old vets exists a realm of good options we can consider. One of them for 7M, Woods and another draft pick competing for #2, Heath at #4 and only seeing the field on ST like the good lord intended. Sounds pretty good to me.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Does the article state we are out? Then how is their a bidding war with San Fran. Maybe I just don't understand 2019 journalism.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see this every year . It never happens .
But we don't know what enters into the final decision. These agents furnish all kinds of statistical data to these players about cost of living, property taxes, etc but each player will decide based on his own criteria. And when the Raiders move to LV, everyone is getting an automatic raise.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
i think we will def get Outbid. it'll come down to how much Earl wants to be here and the only thing in our favor is no tax in texas. so that can possibly "even" up with other good offers.

conner01

Reaction score
Agents don’t care because they get clients by getting huge contracts, not best deal for the player
And besides that the tax would only matter if you were only about 1.5-1.8 mil difference

Cowboys22

Reaction score

People don’t seem to realize that states with no state income tax make up for it in other taxes such as very high property and sales taxes. Players may come out ahead in no income tax states but not nearly by as much as some seem to think. That’s why it doesn’t seem to be as big a deal as some fans think it should.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does the article state we are out? Then how is their a bidding war with San Fran. Maybe I just don't understand 2019 journalism.
All of this is based on what teams want them to know, they're not getting any scoops. He is still a Seahawk until FA starts so I don't know how either could be in a bidding war at this point. And then this info could be coming from the agent trying to get something started. These are the two teams connected to Thomas so there is nothing new here.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It’s called money and cap space. They can’t pay every member of the legion of boom $15 a year.

So do you want to keep Bobby Wagner and Frank Clark or do you keep Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman?

Seattle obviously decided the former over the latter.

They have 31 mill in cap space.

Not even close to being broke.

They don’t want him back.