***Cowboys Chris (aka Quarterback Coach) Mega Thread***

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Quarterback Coach;2500799 said:
gang...me again...please do not wish that the espn guy gets fired. i don't wish that on anyone (maybe bruce read). he overreacted simply because he has never dealt with that before. period.

they (the media) has no idea what to do when the shoe is on the other foot. you may not like that i upset ed (doing his "job"), but i was having some fun heckling someone who simply likes to broadcast gossip and rumors...

don't fire people though. especially around christmas.

by the way...if i did my job as poorly as ed you can all come yell at me too.

No offense but Werder has been covering the cowboys for probably nearly as long as you have been alive. I am pretty sure he knows how to do his job.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
True that.

Frankley, I would not post here if all we talked about was X's and O's.

That would be boring.

I know most disagree, but I love it when the Cowboys are the talk of the town.

I would prefer if the Cowboys were the talk of the town for what they did on the field not off it.

Reaction score
theebs;2500802 said:
No offense but Werder has been covering the cowboys for probably nearly as long as you have been alive. I am pretty sure he knows how to do his job.

no offense taken...in my opinion he just doesn't do it that well.

probably not his fault...doing what his bosses demand. sensationalism, tmz media gossip, etc.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quarterback Coach;2500829 said:
no offense taken...in my opinion he just doesn't do it that well.

probably not his fault...doing what his bosses demand. sensationalism, tmz media gossip, etc.

That's how I see it too.

ESPN still thinks back fondly of helicopters flying over TO's house while he's doing situps in the driveway...

:money:

And any chance they get to try to cultivate a similar situation in pursuit of ratings ?

They'll take it.

:espn:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Randy White;2500693 said:
But you do have a constitutional right to express your opinion in a public place as long as you're not threatening anybody.

As a matter of fact, YOU DO if my livelyhood involves something you don't agree with. If that wasn't the fact, nobody would be able to protest in front of the White House.

And I live in Miami, FL. As soon as you get here, PM me and I'll personally pick you up and drop you off in front of my home.

I'll also be pulling out my lawn chair, with a cooler full of diet cokes ( sorry, I don't drink ) and a camera so I can enjoy the show. I won't interrupt you, but I'd be begging your pardon in advance if I roll over and sprain something from laughing so hard.

I'll even invite the neighbors so they can have a couple of laughs.

:starspin

Actually, that's not exactly true.

Many cities have "noise," "disturbing the peace" ordinances, and many require you to get a "protest permit" if you are going to organize a protest outside in certain places.

If someone were to come to my house to protest, I would definitely research my city's ordinances to find out whether I had grounds to stop them. A "disturbing the peace" ordinance would work just find if I wanted to stop such nonsense, especially if my neighborhood is the place for such protests.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2500894 said:

Many cities have "noise," "disturbing the peace" ordinances, and many require you to get a "protest permit" if you are going to organize a protest outside in certain places.

If someone were to come to my house to protest, I would definitely research my city's ordinances to find out whether I had grounds to stop them. A "disturbing the peace" ordinance would work just find if I wanted to stop such nonsense, especially if my neighborhood is the place for such protests.
I wonder if Werder had a permit from the city to assemble and broadcast from that location.

preacher238

Reaction score
Long time lurker, seldom post. However, some of you guys need to get off your high-horse and get over yourselves. It was kinda funny IMHO. Ed got what was coming to him. Don't like it, then don't watch it or pay attention to it. End of story!

Randy White

Reaction score
bbgun;2500720 said:
CC didn't run into Werder at McDonald's and say something snotty. Instead, Werder was working at the time. CC knew this. CC was deliberately interfering with Ed's right to do his job and earn a living. They had to shut down the live transmit because of his interference. Have something to say to Ed? Do it in an email or when he's off the clock.

CC is in a public street, exercising his freedom of speech. Werder, or BSPN, does NOT own public streets. At no time did CC entered private property to prevent or threaten anybody. At no time did CC launch any projectile towards private property or a person.

ALL he did was stand in a public sidewalk and express his opinion.

But will you love me at 3 AM when I'm still shouting? And will your fellow employees love me at all? I'm guessing "no."

Love you ? Hell I'd buy you the megaphone.

:starspin

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
preacher238;2500916 said:
Long time lurker, seldom post. However, some of you guys need to get off your high-horse and get over yourselves. It was kinda funny IMHO. Ed got what was coming to him. Don't like it, then don't watch it or pay attention to it. End of story!

Glad you posted. Post more often please. :D

tyke1doe

Reaction score
LeonDixson;2500902 said:
tyke1doe;2500894 said:
I wonder if Werder had a permit from the city to assemble and broadcast from that location.

Sigh. :(

Please, pay attention to context.

Ed Werder is not shouting at anyone. CC was.

In some cities, if you are making too much noise and infringing on other's rights to peace and quiet, you can be cited for disturbing the peace. If you're whispering your protest, that's not going to happen.

Randy White

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2500894 said:

Many cities have "noise," "disturbing the peace" ordinances, and many require you to get a "protest permit" if you are going to organize a protest outside in certain places. If someone were to come to my house to protest, I would definitely research my city's ordinances to find out whether I had grounds to stop them. A "disturbing the peace" ordinance would work just find if I wanted to stop such nonsense, especially if my neighborhood is the place for such protests.

You're absolutely correct in that many cities do, but others don't.

Randy White

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2500934 said:
LeonDixson;2500902 said:

Please, pay attention to context.

Ed Werder is not shouting at anyone. CC was.

And that matters because ?

Neither Ed Werder or BSPN own Valley Ranch, who'd probably were the ones who " might " have a right to complain legally. Maybe. If they wanted to do their job without being " bothered " they would have done what the did: MOVE.

CC has the right to do what he did, period.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Quarterback Coach;2500799 said:
gang...me again...please do not wish that the espn guy gets fired. i don't wish that on anyone (maybe bruce read). he overreacted simply because he has never dealt with that before. period.

they (the media) has no idea what to do when the shoe is on the other foot. you may not like that i upset ed (doing his "job"), but i was having some fun heckling someone who simply likes to broadcast gossip and rumors...

don't fire people though. especially around christmas.

by the way...if i did my job as poorly as ed you can all come yell at me too.[/QUOTE]

According to the guy in the video you don't have one.:D

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Randy White;2500935 said:
You're absolutely correct in that many cities do, but others don't.

I'm probably certain that every city has a disturbing the peace ordinance. And if that city doesn't, it is covered by county ordinance. And if not by county, then by state law.

And I'm quite certain that a large metropolitan city such as Miami has a disturbing the peace ordinance that prohibits loud noises in, particularly, residential neighborhoods.

Now, whether the residents or citizens of Miami know about the local laws and whether they want to bother evoking them is another matter.

But if people stand outside my house to protest, I'm going to my local police station and filing charges against them using the city's own ordinances.

That'll shut that down quickly - unless they just like paying fines. ;)

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Randy White;2500919 said:
CC is in a public street, exercising his freedom of speech. Werder, or BSPN, does NOT own public streets. At no time did CC entered private property to prevent or threaten anybody. At no time did CC launch any projectile towards private property or a person.

ALL he did was stand in a public sidewalk and express his opinion.

You need to stop thinking of public streets as some sort of "safe space" or "oasis" where you can do whatever you want. Many restraining orders have been been slapped on photogs who hound and harass celebs on public streets or at other public venues. As far as I know, Mr. Werder has never traveled to Orlando to prevent CC from doing his job (assuming he has one). It'd be nice if CC showed the same courtesy.

Love you ? Hell I'd buy you the megaphone.

Buy me dinner first. And it better be someplace nice. I ain't a cheap date.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Some people liked Quarterback Coach's video beration of Ed Werder.

Some didn't.

Some people like broccoli.

Some don't.

Some people like Fords.

Some don't.

Can we all just agree to like sex and move on from this topic? You're never going to change the other side's mind.

Oh, and for the record, I thought it was funny, I love broccoli, and I love Fords. If you didn't, hate broccoli, and hate Fords I will not feel any differently about you in any way. Mature adults can accept differences in others without labels.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Randy White;2500945 said:
tyke1doe;2500934 said:
And that matters because ?

Neither Ed Werder or BSPN own Valley Ranch, who'd probably were the ones who " might " have a right to complain legally. Maybe. If they wanted to do their job without being " bothered " they would have done what the did: MOVE.

CC has the right to do what he did, period.

Please follow the flow of conversation.

You said a person has a constitutional right to express his opinion in a public place as long as that person isn't threatening anyone.

I said, that's not exactly right. You don't have the right to expression your opinion in public places if, for example, you are so loud you're disturbing the peace.

Leon retorted did Ed Werder have a permit to assemble.

I said Ed Werder isn't shouting at anyone. And he wouldn't need a permit to assemble. (And, incidentally, he wouldn't need a permit to assemble because he's not bringing a large crowd of people. Usually permits to assemble are necessary so authorities can regulate the flow of traffic on the streets and in a particular public place.)

You asked "why does it matter."
It matters because the two issues aren't the same, that's why.

I don't know whether Ed Werder is on Valley Ranch property or not. He could be on a street or public area with Valley Ranch in the background.

As for CC having the right to do what he does, it's not a PERIOD issue.

He has the right to free speech. But there are limitations even on free speech, which is why we have disturbing the peace ordinances, noise ordinances and other laws which regulate free speech to a certain degree.

The difference in this case is that ESPN isn't going to bother approaching the local law enforcement with this matter or file any disturbing the peace charges for a variety of reasons:

1. It would be too much trouble.
2. All ESPN would have to do is move, as you suggested.
3. That spot isn't necessarily a permanent fixture for ESPN.

But if I were having an assembly at that spot, and CC tried to shout and disturb my assembly, if I follow the proper legal protocol and file charges against him for disturbing the peace, he would have to comply.

It's not as clear-cut as you think it is. Then again, the real world is a lot more complicated and multi-dimensional than fantasy chat rooms are.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2500290 said:
Yeah, they shouldn't have come over. I didn't even hear the shouting when watching Werder's report. Their sound equipment is phenomenonal in that it can mask outside noise.

But why would Werder approach Chris?

Chris doesn't register even a speck on Werder's radar. He's there to do his job not engage a heckler.

Because Chris is so obviously in Werder's head in all these videos. It's fairly obvious watching these things that Werder tries to act unaffected, but you know he hears it. And you know it bugs him when he sends others.

Plus, Werder is human like any of us. He can walk over to a fan and spare five minutes and strike up a conversation to diffuse a situation, as opposed to sending one of his irate handlers who makes an arse of the entire network.

But if Chris is just a speck, I guess that would be below the big, bad ESPN employee?

Geez, they're both regular joes. Werder could walk over and strike up a conversation and, if he had any personality at all, probably turn Chris into a fan. You might say why would it matter? Well, for one, it'd spare Werder from looking like a spineless twit in these videos. Secondly, it might let him do his job without someone constantly screaming in the background.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theebs;2500802 said:

No offense, but that's a bunch of BS.

Ok, maybe he technically "Does his job" pretty well... too bad his job is NOT to report facts, but rather to create a controversial story so it will boost ratings.

No media member just reports facts anymore. Stories have to have some kind of controversy. Media isn't about informing the people anymore, it's about making $$$. And controversy = $$$.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Werder's been one of the best "reporters" in the Dallas area for some time. I don't know that this is really in question. But reporters, like players, can slip over time. Has that happened here? Who knows, but honestly, I doubt it. I highly doubt he's lying, but don't think it's out of question that he/ESPN would blow up something relatively minor into three-inch, bold headline news (happens all the time there).

Generally, I think Werder is very fair to the team. He'll report controversy when it's there, and he'll report triumph when it's there. The network as a whole, though, I don't think is as balanced when it comes to high-profile, lighting-rod athletes, and to a lesser extent, glamour franchises. They're an entertainment channel as much as a news channel, and they're not afraid to use that when reporting news in a tabloid nature.

I think that's what's happened here. Werder reported a story, probably fairly with what he believed to be good sources, and the network essentially put it on the front cover of all the rags at the check-out isle -- right next to the story with the picture of Jerry and Britney Spears' alien baby.