Twitter: Cowboys cutdown to 53 thread *Post #1 Updated* ***Merged***

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
lol
true

First question would be who among the following does he replace?
I say none.

DE Lavar Edwards
DE Crawford, Tyrone
DE Lawrence, DeMarcus
DE Mincey, Jeremy
DE Selvie, George
DE Spencer, Anthony

anyone of them.....

Zman5

Reaction score
I actually had another line in my post that I removed where I said, "Sometimes, you just have to have realize and admit you made bad choices if you want to improve" and that includes pre-cut choices such as free agent signings and drafted players.

I would add coaches to that list.

fifaguy

Reaction score
Disappointed we kept 3 Qbs (although I liked what I saw out of Vaughn). I am sitting here laughing at the thought that Clutts made this team.

revospeed

Reaction score
Randle should absolutely not have made the team over Ryan Williams.

Why? Randle has looked good against first teamers when he's played this preseason along with being a good special teams player. Williams looked good against 4th teamers. Who cares? Phillip Tanner has looked good against scrubs too.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They must be planning on Wetzel or Weems being the backup backup OG.

Wetzel did play a little OG early on and Weems did last year I think. I think those guys are vulnerable if they make a roster claim. They might think Wetzel makes it to the practice squad easier this next time around if they make a claim.

Gaede

Reaction score
Only thing that bugs me is Williams. A former second Rd pick, legit starter material more highly regarded than our own starting RB, finally healthy and proven, and we cut him for a former 5th rd pick who has shown little to nothing. Oh, and a fullback we literally signed at the end of last year. We could release him now and sign him at the end of this year if we wanted

We value our role players more than having the best players.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
williams would be the best option if murray is injured but barring an injury he would never evn be on the game day roster

And how many of Murray's seasons has he not been injured? I think this is exactly why they should have kept him, which is a bigger reason than the SP play IMO.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Disappointed we kept 3 Qbs (although I liked what I saw out of Vaughn). I am sitting here laughing at the thought that Clutts made this team.

Those are the two I kind of don't get unless they know something we don't.

Hate say it, but both of those guys could have had Garrett in their corner.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also It is being speculated that Lawrence may go on short term IR so that would open up a spot.

If they do that, they should have cut a somebody like Clutts or Hayden and then re-signed them when Lawrence goes on DFR-IR.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
in fairness Street barely played as we knew he was going to make it pretty early on.

That's exactly what I mean though. How did we "know" he was going to make it before training camp, without real competition yet, and especially after not seeing him play that much? Not hating on Street at all (I like him), I just feel like there is too much draft status politics going on.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It might be the worst defense in a long time until Spencer and Lawrence are healthy and Scandrick returns. But I don't get how you can say that about the offense. Romo, Dez, Witten and DeMarco are Pro Bowl players, the O Line is the best we have had since the Super Bowl years and the two other offensive guys on the field besides that group are Escobar and TWill, both of whom had first round grades on them by the team when they were drafted.

I said take out Romo because he is the only reason this team has a chance this year. If he goes out, we're screwed completely with Weeden. At least with Kitna and Orton, we had a chance. That's gone with Weeden unless we have a big lead when Romo goes down and Weeden just hands it off to whatever un-hurt running back we have on the roster for the rest of the game and Romo is healthy enough to return the following week.

Murray and Dunbar will likely never make it 16 games and if they do, they'll be gimpy in some of them.

Dez will be doubled and tripled covered this season and as good as he is, he's not shown he can have great games against double coverage yet. He may make a play or two, but he disappears for long stretches when teams shift coverage toward him. Witten is great, but both he and Romo are getting older.

I'm still not as hyped about this offensive line as some people are. The only two proven solid guys we have are Frederick and Smith. Beyond that, it's hope, expectations and potential. We *hope* Martin can be solid and Free can play like he did last year. There are still a lot of questions on the offensive line though I will admit, it's the best I've felt about the offensive line in many years and I believe the offensive line is the most important part of the offense.

TWill will not impress me until he starts catching open-field throws with his hands instead of his body. He's a good receiver and if he starts using his hands, he can be a very good receiver. Body catching is great in tight coverage, but when he body catches with defenders a few yards away, he's giving up a ton of YAC and providing an easy tackle to the defense.