Twitter: Cowboys cutdown to 53 thread *Post #1 Updated* ***Merged***

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I will be shocked if we don't sign a couple of players. Woody's Girl is right -- none of the bottom ten should unpack their suitcases.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very pissed at no Williams. For that bum Clutts.

Yes, they could have brought back a FB next week when there will inevitably be an injury somewhere OR if they move D-Law to short term IR they could have brought a FB back then.

MileHighKing

Reaction score
I hate to bring up Champ Bailey at this point...but could he fill a roll as a CB/Safety hybrid or is the movement speed just gone?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Only thing that bugs me is Williams. A former second Rd pick, legit starter material more highly regarded than our own starting RB, finally healthy and proven, and we cut him for a former 5th rd pick who has shown little to nothing. Oh, and a fullback we literally signed at the end of last year. We could release him now and sign him at the end of this year if we wanted

We value our role players more than having the best players.

Or cutting Williams to keep Wetzel or Bishop? Both of these guys are garbage.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
it's not even about whether they're starter material or not.. it's about sending a mixed message to your players that "hey, you can work your *** off in TC, perform well in preseason games, but it doesn't matter we're still going to cut you for a player that didn't do half of what you did in preseason."

revospeed

Reaction score
Sheesh. A bunch of you guys sound like a ladies choir. We cut a few of your pet cats. Get over it. For every Danny Amendola that we cut, there's a Jamar Wall, which some of you claimed was a future star, that we cut too. Just because you become attached to a player, doesn't mean he's a future Hall of Famer. I swear, some of you would have given Mike Hamlin a long term deal based on a few practice tweets.

Craig

Reaction score
No one is saying Williams is a starter or even better than Murray or Dunbar, but he's easily better than 2-yard Randle.

I suppose i should have quoted the person who used the exact words i used.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
No one is saying Williams is a starter or even better than Murray or Dunbar, but he's easily better than 2-yard Randle.

I'll say it.....Williams is better than Murray. He runs harder. Hits the hole harder. He was drafted higher than Murray...so that should tell you something. The only thing that Williams had against him was that knee injury 2 years ago....And he looked completely healed from that. I'm gonna laugh my butt off when Murray gets hurt and we are left w/ Randle and Dunbar....And the front office can't figure out why we are averaging 3 yards a carry.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll say it.....Williams is better than Murray. He runs harder. Hits the hole harder. He was drafted higher than Murray...so that should tell you something. The only thing that Williams had against him was that knee injury 2 years ago....And he looked completely healed from that. I'm gonna laugh my butt off when Murray gets hurt and we are left w/ Randle and Dunbar....And the front office can't figure out why we are averaging 3 yards a carry.

The only way we average 3 yards per carry with Randle and Dunbar would be if Dunbar has a 50+ yard run every game. :(

reddyuta

Reaction score
I said take out Romo because he is the only reason this team has a chance this year. If he goes out, we're screwed completely with Weeden. At least with Kitna and Orton, we had a chance. That's gone with Weeden unless we have a big lead when Romo goes down and Weeden just hands it off to whatever un-hurt running back we have on the roster for the rest of the game and Romo is healthy enough to return the following week.

Murray and Dunbar will likely never make it 16 games and if they do, they'll be gimpy in some of them.

Dez will be doubled and tripled covered this season and as good as he is, he's not shown he can have great games against double coverage yet. He may make a play or two, but he disappears for long stretches when teams shift coverage toward him. Witten is great, but both he and Romo are getting older.

I'm still not as hyped about this offensive line as some people are. The only two proven solid guys we have are Frederick and Smith. Beyond that, it's hope, expectations and potential. We *hope* Martin can be solid and Free can play like he did last year. There are still a lot of questions on the offensive line though I will admit, it's the best I've felt about the offensive line in many years and I believe the offensive line is the most important part of the offense.

TWill will not impress me until he starts catching open-field throws with his hands instead of his body. He's a good receiver and if he starts using his hands, he can be a very good receiver. Body catching is great in tight coverage, but when he body catches with defenders a few yards away, he's giving up a ton of YAC and providing an easy tackle to the defense.

good post and this is why i think Escobar and Beasley have to step up big,these guys will have a lot of favorable matchups when they double Dez.

cej757

Reaction score
Sheesh. A bunch of you guys sound like a ladies choir. We cut a few of your pet cats. Get over it. For every Danny Amendola that we cut, there's a Jamar Wall, which some of you claimed was a future star, that we cut too. Just because you become attached to a player, doesn't mean he's a future Hall of Famer. I swear, some of you would have given Mike Hamlin a long term deal based on a few practice tweets.

How many Playoff wins have the Cowboys had since 96? The ranting by the fans is totally understandable in 2014.

poost

Reaction score
I hate to bring up Champ Bailey at this point...but could he fill a roll as a CB/Safety hybrid or is the movement speed just gone?

I just don't see then bringing in an aging vet. We have the two starters in Wilcox/Church. Then young ones behind them developing. Even at corner we have 5 good ones. The weakness on defense isn't in the secondary. It's the front 7 they should focus on reinforcing.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Dang. A lot of my pet cats didn't make it. Boatright, Byrd, Williams, and Mitchell. And FB Clutts makes it. Seriously? And Cam Lawrence makes it? Clutts and Lawrence have no business on the 53 over Boatright, Byrd, Williams and Mitchell. FB is extinct and Clutts wasn't even good at it. Good luck if Cam Lawrence sees any playing time at LB because we are going to need it.

Unless Williams is seriously hurt with a groin pull, he should be on the 53. I don't see how Byrd gets cut. Going 5 WRs is risky in my opinion. And Byrd looked pretty good.