News: Cowboys DC Mike Nolan Fired

Preoccupied

Reaction score
Goodbye. Do any of us really have faith in Jerry to make a good decision?
Nolan should have never been hired.
Look up his last 2 seasons at Atlanta. After that he swanned off to pretend to be something else in a.n.other team and then the cowboys think its a good idea to......

Fools and their decisions.....

Plankton

Reaction score
I'm really hoping that names like Dom Capers or Jim Haslett do not come up for this position. Edwards is meh. I would hope that McCarthy was the one who made the move here, but I'm not so sure.

Majic

Reaction score
I bet we hire primarily a 4-3 coach and Gregory gets an extension in the offseason while A. Smith walks.
I think Jerry LOVES Gregory and was upset he did not play more. I think he wants to build around one area of this defense where we are ok - DE, primarily DLaw and Gregory, in a 4-3 scheme where they can get after the QB and not have to drop in coverage - at all.
A. Smith was close with Tom T. and really faded as the year went on.
Think you are spot on here. Don't understand the Tomsula firing. Did a good job with Gregory, Smith and D Law

cowboyec

Reaction score
I'm really hoping that names like Dom Capers or Jim Haslett do not come up for this position. Edwards is meh. I would hope that McCarthy was the one who made the move here, but I'm not so sure.
haslett was with mccarthy in the barn.
i was surprised he wasn't part of the staff to begin with.

quickccc

Reaction score
Has successful track record, has experience in either scheme, well respected, can attract quality assistants, is firmilar with the college ranks, huge edge considering all the opt out players

Fair points. and MM is big on this Hybrid multi-look schemes too.

but Marvin has also been years away from being an quality NFL DC as well.(year 2000) and with todays's advance spread offense in NFL, i'd more
prefer a guy that was just around the corner and has coordinated a defense at a high level than a guy that been so long away at the NFL level.

Broaddus just said another DC name to watch out for is Winston Moss who
MM is familiar with from Packers LB coach dayz.
But why go with a guy whose never been an established DC over quality updated guys like Bradley, Quinn ?
Familiarity ? We just did that with Mike Nolan.

That's an awful big risk to take with a team that wants to be in a clear win now mode.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Think you are spot on here. Don't understand the Tomsula firing. Did a good job with Gregory, Smith and D Law
maybe they already know who the DC will be...and who he wants as dline coach.
just a guess.

Majic

Reaction score

McCarthy is a lame duck now in terms of hiring coaches to run his preferred scheme. That's what you get for a 6-10 season. You may get the praises of the owner, but it has cost you something in return.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His play calling duties were taken away from him by Jim Fassel I believe when the NY Giants went to the SB and lost to the Ravens. He then got fired I believed after the season by the Giants.

I'm not sure how that's relevant.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of Dan Quinn and Joe Barry as potentials.

Joe Barry is Rod Marinelli's son in law and also came from the school of Monte Kiffin in Tampa. Not sure is he's an ideal fit, since McCarthy has said multiple times that he doesn't want a one call defense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Exactly.......they never came close to give him a vote of confidence.

When Jerry starts dancing around whether a coach will be back next season they’re in trouble. Stephen even avoided getting into specifics on Nolan.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Fair points. and MM is big on this Hybrid multi-look schemes too.

but Marvin has also been years away from being an quality NFL DC as well.(year 2000) and with todays's advance spread offense in NFL, i'd more
prefer a guy that was just around the corner and has coordinated a defense at a high level than a guy that been so long away at the NFL level.
I don’t think they hire an unproven coordinator. A retread with a successful track record. You maybe right that they may hire a coach who had more recent success in today’s game.

Majic

Reaction score
maybe they already know who the DC will be...and who he wants as dline coach.
just a guess.
Possibly, my guess is that Jerry just wanted shot.
haslett was with mccarthy in the barn.
i was surprised he wasn't part of the staff to begin with.

I think he may well have been McCarthy's first choice but it didn't work out for some reason