Cowboys DC Mike Zimmer wasted no time kicking Dan Quinn draft pick to the curb

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just my opinion, but I am not sure the GB goes down the same with Zimmer as with Quinn (EDIT: Not saying we win, but rather not sure we look as inept as we did against GBs offense). But the flipside is I don't think you'll see as many dominant games (turnovers, sacks, etc) under Zimmer that we saw under Quinn. I suspect Zimmer's defenses will be fairly boring in relation to Quinn's defenses that would look like the 85 Bears for a few weeks and then drop a few monumental turd balls.
Yeah, IIRC Zim didn't have a sexy defense (turnovers, sacks), but it was efficient....until it wasn't. Can blame that on Zimmer, talent, or both.

I know I don't expect it to be as fun to watch as Quinn's.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Quinn's defense was based on playing from ahead and the offense getting an early knockout. If those things didnt happen they wore down as the game went on.
DQs defense was among the best in the NFL in 2023.

It’s ok to hate on him, but he’s well respected as a DC/HC.

We all remember the terrible DCs Romo had.

We could do worse.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

We could do worse.
Bill Parcells and Wade Phillips are pretty well known for defense... who do you think was running those defenses? again Tony couldn't get a Jerry Jones GM'd team over the hump..thats plenty enough reason no need to rewrite the history...

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Fehoko was drafted to be a future player. He was never Going to get many snaps last year. He may fit in DQ’s scheme, or they took that chance he would fit. But he is not Zimmers style.

He still, did not look all that good.
If Quinn signs Fehoko after watching his snaps this preseason, he's a fool.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Dallas also moved on from a pair of 2023 draft picks, including fourth-round pick Viliami Fehoko, who was a brutal fit in Mike Zimmer's system. Fehoko will go down as a big stain on the Cowboys' drafting resume but they also bit the bullet on a player that Dan Quinn believed was worth trading up for.

More Here
It took dq 3 years to make our defense a top one.

Zimmer can turn them back into pettiness in just one TC. Flex! No sweat.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I absolutely love that he went to the Skins. He’s a terrible coach and an even worse talent evaluator

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score

We could do worse.
Take a look at how he fared against any team with a pulse. I think it was 33 points a game they gave up to good competition

Reid1boys

Reaction score
:hammer: .....That Super Bowl loss will forever be his calling card. Just proved your point...Yet...we were dumb enough to hire him.
and Quinn had multiple teams that wanted him 2 years ago, stayed and probably had more than just Washington wanting him this year. Our defense stunk before he got here, was damn good after he left.

BUT, we didnt win a SB so that guy SUCKS!!

Now, we have a shiny (Old) new coach and everyone loves the guy. Remind me how many SB Zimmer has as a HC?

gtb1943

Reaction score
and Quinn had multiple teams that wanted him 2 years ago, stayed and probably had more than just Washington wanting him this year. Our defense stunk before he got here, was damn good after he left.

Now, we have a shiny (Old) new coach and everyone loves the guy. Remind me how many SB Zimmer has as a HC?
Never impressed by DQ. No in game adjustments; had no clue as regards what to do when something was not working

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Never impressed by DQ. No in game adjustments; had no clue as regards what to do when something was not working
I laugh my arse off at you guys on a couch that think you can know what should be done, know what the coach did or didnt do, and can say that the defense failed and it was coaching. A coach can call th eperfect play and the player can fail to execute.... but it was the coach calling crappy plays? smh at all you experts from the zone.Dude was probably watching 30 plus hours a week of film, meeting with his coaches and designing the defense.... and people on the zone know better. HILARIOUS

Now, let me clarify I dont care who the coach is. One is no better than the other at this level. They all know their stuff.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Spoiler Alert:

Zimmers defense won’t be any better than Quinn’s.
Maybe ... maybe not.

I just hope if the Cowboys get into the playoff again, the following does not happen:
  1. The opposing offense is so confident against our D that they win the toss and elect to receive
  2. After winning the toss and electing to receive, on their very first drive, they go down for a TD
  3. Then proceed to go on to score TDs in 6 of their first 7 drives
  4. And of the 6 scoring TD drives, 4 of them were 75+ yard drives
(I know, I know ... the offense sucked against GB. Yet the offense sucking does not negate the D sucking too. Both were absolutely true.)

I mean, the bar is not that high, so if Zimmer can't top what we saw out our last game from Quinn, he can be shipped out of town too.
:thumbup:

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score

Quinn got to come in after the disaster that was Mike Nolan. There was only one direction to go. Being better than Nolan does not make you good

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I love how all these busts are/were Marinelli/Quinn picks and somehow mastermind McClay had no input at all but when they hit it's all thanks to him lol, too funny. So he just lets other people do his job for him then? What a genius.
He can only evaluate talent. He can't evaluate their drive, brains, and reaction to getting all that money to play football.

Hindsight without more information can cloud things.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Quinn got to come in after the disaster that was Mike Nolan. There was only one direction to go. Being better than Nolan does not make you good
who said anything about Nolan? Under any objective standard, our defense was very good. Under your subjective standard, yea, we sucked.

khiladi

Reaction score
So it wasn’t McClay?

I thought we wanted Quinn as HC after McCarthy was inevitably fired.

What happened?

Oh let me guess, another scapegoat for Dak sucking it up come playoffs again.

2 years in a row leading the league in TOs and top 5 last year…

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Fehoko is one of the worst drafted DL I've seen in years. And Quinn supposedly called him a future Pro Bowler when they drafted him.
They all miss. Like with Marinelli being so excited about drafting a DT who proved not good enough to make an NFL roster. This is why you have GMs. They are supposed to get the scouts' view and the coach's view and make the call. But here, it can be the scouts making one call and the coaches making the next one and the GM going along because he knows no better.