Cowboys DC Mike Zimmer wasted no time kicking Dan Quinn draft pick to the curb

Carson

Reaction score
So it wasn’t McClay?

I thought we wanted Quinn as HC after McCarthy was inevitably fired.

What happened?

Oh let me guess, another scapegoat for Dak sucking it up come playoffs again.

2 years in a row leading the league in TOs and top 5 last year…
My issue with Quinn is his defense was feast or famine.

Games like the Giants, Commanders, Pats, Rams, Panthers etc., we were able to build big leads against bad teams and just blitz and make picks.

But games like Buffalo, Miami, Green Bay, Seattle, Sf etc. we couldn’t stop anything.

He is a great motivator and players love him. But I believe that wears off after a few seasons and they stop working as hard and just become buddy buddy.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I love how all these busts are/were Marinelli/Quinn picks and somehow mastermind McClay had no input at all but when they hit it's all thanks to him lol, too funny. So he just lets other people do his job for him then? What a genius.
That's a good observation it's one of the categories of complete nonsense you see on here.

plasticman

Reaction score
Some players are just bad fits for certain types of offenses and defense.

Remember when Parcells came in and they eventually switched to the 3-4 defense? With a 3-man D-line, the LB's must be big and quick. They don't necessarily have to possess a high football I.Q. They must be instinctive.

At the time, Zimmer was the Cowboys DC. His prior defense, a 4-3, featured two undersized, but effective LB's, Dexter Coakley and Dat Nguyen. They were just not good fits for the 3-4.

In addition, Greg Ellis, a prototypical DE in the 4-3, was switched to a 3-4 OLB late in his career.

Therefore, despite the fact that the Cowboys defense was #1 ranked while still using a 4-3 defense in 2003, Parcells made the switch and basically drafted his 3-4 in 2005.

It's possible Fehoko and Scott could still end up having great careers within a different system, it happens.

Under a completely different system, former Pro Bowl FB Daryl Johnston might have been evaluated based on his running ability. He might not have made it through his first training camp.

In the more sophisticated offenses of the late 80's, most O-lines required less bulkier, quicker guards. Nate Newton can thank Jimmy's offensive style for launching his 6-time Pro Bowl, 2-time All-Pro career

khiladi

Reaction score
My issue with Quinn is his defense was feast or famine.

Games like the Giants, Commanders, Pats, Rams, Panthers etc., we were able to build big leads against bad teams and just blitz and make picks.

But games like Buffalo, Miami, Green Bay, Seattle, Sf etc. we couldn’t stop anything.

He is a great motivator and players love him. But I believe that wears off after a few seasons and they stop working as hard and just become buddy buddy.
I agree..

Remember, you got to make a choice philosophically as a coach. Quinn in Seattle and Atlanta played pretty much zone, but adjusted with Dallas to play man. A lot of what dictated the approach was probably the uniqueness of Micah Parsons as an upfield pass rushers.

The main problem was the LBs and LVE health. Of LVE health was good, could we make the same argument?

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Yea, thats what coordinators do. Zimmer might be a lot of things we dont like, but he has his own foundation, a simple premise, "do your job, do it correctly" and he prefers his LBs to do more. We may not have the same amount of interceptions, who knows, but he ll get more out of our LBs, where some good talent lies. So anyone who knows Zimmer knew this was going to happen.
The good thing is, Zimmer actually has linebackers to "get more out of".

kskboys

Reaction score
Fehoko is one of the worst drafted DL I've seen in years. And Quinn supposedly called him a future Pro Bowler when they drafted him.
Straightline athlete, the big NFL career killer.

For some very odd reason, Jerry ignores this.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dallas also moved on from a pair of 2023 draft picks, including fourth-round pick Viliami Fehoko, who was a brutal fit in Mike Zimmer's system. Fehoko will go down as a big stain on the Cowboys' drafting resume but they also bit the bullet on a player that Dan Quinn believed was worth trading up for.

More Here
2023 was a disaster draft year!!!. and often when that happens it puts a team behind for a couple of years to replenish the roster properly..... what a disaster with Mazi, Schoon, Fehoko. the first two were supposed to be high contributors. the rest at this point are nothing but backups and average starters perhaps...there is hope for overshown, but he has to show it in real season, real games to give this draft year any chance of not being a total disaster

gtb1943

Reaction score
I laugh my arse off at you guys on a couch that think you can know what should be done, know what the coach did or didnt do, and can say that the defense failed and it was coaching. A coach can call th eperfect play and the player can fail to execute.... but it was the coach calling crappy plays? smh at all you experts from the zone.Dude was probably watching 30 plus hours a week of film, meeting with his coaches and designing the defense.... and people on the zone know better. HILARIOUS

Now, let me clarify I dont care who the coach is. One is no better than the other at this level. They all know their stuff.
so Ginger was a fine HC according to your logic

blueblood70

Reaction score
About Zimmer dumping some of Quinn's picks.
You know the irony here is they say Dan Quinn five of his seven draft picks from this past draft, they already cut them?! I've seen this from quite a few teams I mean they seem to be far behind the Dallas Cowboys in drafts... I mean it's not a perfect science but geez that's a big number to miss on..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Fehoko is one of the worst drafted DL I've seen in years. And Quinn supposedly called him a future Pro Bowler when they drafted him.
I actually think if somebody took the patience and brought him in to be an actual three tech versus a defensive end he would actually be able to grow into at least a role player... That would depend on him but he's big enough he doesn't have the bend for a defensive end not even like a granny Gregory or Sam Williams type but I'm talking about he looks the size and the type to be 3T. So if he wants to work hard and try to get back on a team I'm thinking he could be a practice squad player as a 3T.

blueblood70

Reaction score
...I like Zimmer already. Th'ats bold statement. I figure nothing personal of course.

But to be a respect draft pick and now CUT! .. dang....
It's very difficult by the way to come in on a one year deal and try to change the defense and get that many players changed out but I got to tell you Jerry Jones definitely listens to Zimmer because they sure went out and made a lot of changes even if it looks like bargain bin basement players they sure went out and got him a lot of defensive lineman and what not, got Kendricks, traded for booth, etc and also more surprise cuts with the roster in flux with more changes coming.. to try and do a complete 180 on the Defensive roster in that short of time is tough but somehow Zim had jerry on board.

gtb1943

Reaction score
HC is far more than Xs and Os... but for the most part, a head coach goes as his QB goes... yea, thats my logic...
so you were sad to see Ginger go then
since he according to your logic was like every other coach in the NFL good at his job