Cowboys defense ranked 27th against the rush

Starstruck22

Reaction score
Commanders exposed us bad, they were running up and down the field at will. LBs were constantly out of position.
Like I said LVE is a disaster. But many on here believe he is fantastic. Let’s compare notes after we are 3-3 and the LVE hate will be coming like a flood. Wolfboy is the weak link and simply looks terrible slow, lumbering, and protecting his neck at the back of the pack. Why we resigned this china doll is an enigma to me but Jerry’s bargains basement thrift store mentality is at work.

Starstruck22

Reaction score
I don’t really worry so much about “rankings”. I’m not saying that they don’t matter, but stats have to be taken in context of what is going on in the game.

The eyeball test tells me we are better at almost every aspect on the defensive side of the ball, including defending the running game. On the other hand, the eyeball test also tells me that we still need to improve in the running game.

It seems like the yardage given up in the running game is largely caused by failure to contain and breakdowns in assignments. In the past it seems like no matter what happened we couldn’t stop the run.

That being said, I would like to see substantial improvement in running defense. I would say that we belong in the bottom half of the league on rushing defense so far based on the eyeball test.
You are blind to LVE who is horrible. The storm is coming and 3-3 in two weeks and possibly 3-5 due to crap at linebacker (not including Parsons).

Starstruck22

Reaction score
Which having more safeties than LBs contributes to lack of girth vs the run.

More and more teams are also doing this 3 safety nickel defense, and opposing teams best equipped to run the ball will take advantage of it.
If by girth you mean a feckless wolf boy it is worthless and meaningless. If not Cox, I would replace wolf boy with Kearse, Wilson, Hooker etc. A girth linebacker that is the worst player on team is ridiculous. He is out on all third downs anyway.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hope McVay doesn't repeat that run game drubbing he gave the Cowboys a few years back in the playoffs.

That was ugly.
he didnt, that next RS we ran all over them , they no longer have those players BTW OL weaker, the RBs are soft quick type..we put an azz whoopin on them in 2029 had both ribs over 100.. they did not repeat that..we are far past 2018, stop living in the past.. Howd they run this year , last night..they look scary??

need a reminder we blew them out, revenge game. zeke had 117 pollard 131 literally ran over them 44-21

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401128103

blueblood70

Reaction score
That’s because we employ the worst middle linebacker in football in LVE.
It’s also because our draft guru “ Will McClay has ignored the position - drafted injured guys at the position – tried to go cheap at the position .

LVE looks like he’s on roller skates on most plays - he should be embarrassed into retirement.
WOW, first message

call out LVE worst not even close top NO but stop that was bad 1st post..:angry::thumbdown: somehow DQ has stated him and now you are saying our coaches who are putting this top defense on the field do not know LVE is the worst ?? somehow its skipped right by and they allowed it?

Sydla

Reaction score
WOW, first message

call out LVE worst not even close top NO but stop that was bad 1st post..:angry::thumbdown: somehow DQ has stated him and now you are saying our coaches who are putting this top defense on the field do not know LVE is the worst ?? somehow its skipped right by and they allowed it?

They don't have many options. Barr is what he is and Cox clearly isn't ready as he's barely being played. So what we are left with is a MLB who is pretty blah because we don't have anything better. LB is likely going to be a position that they are gonna look to upgrade in 2023 I would guess.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Our run defense is still a real concern. Even if we keep winning and end up having a real good regular season our inability to contain the run will be our undoing in the playoffs. With the pass rush we have everyone is going to try and pound us on the ground. The trenches continue to be a problem for us. We can’t allow opponents to impose their will with the running game. We could’ve been sacking Carson Wentz all they had they not had so much success running the ball on us. We have got to tighten up our run defense.

Starstruck22

Reaction score
WOW, first message

LVE is the weak link and we will be 3-3 in two weeks when we get exposed. Many posters on here have no clue how bad LVE is but he is horrible. We have done horribly (other than Parsons) in drafting linebackers. We have crap here and will be exposed. The storm is coming and we have McClay and Jones to blame. So much for thrift store players. We will get shredded and not winning the division.

Starstruck22

Reaction score
Our run defense is still a real concern. Even if we keep winning and end up having a real good regular season our inability to contain the run will be our undoing in the playoffs. With the pass rush we have everyone is going to try and pound us on the ground. The trenches continue to be a problem for us. We can’t allow opponents to impose their will with the running game. We could’ve been sacking Carson Wentz all they had they not had so much success running the ball on us. We have got to tighten up our run defense.
Really many on here think it is great and extoll the virtues of wolf boy. Undoing in the playoffs? There aint going to be any playoffs or division tittle. Much of it due to feeble linebacker play excluding Parsons. LVE will be exposed and the hate is coming. It will be deafening.

Starstruck22

Reaction score
It's a real problem.
I have been disappointed.
I was hoping Gallimore would take his game up another level this year but he has not been a factor.
LVE has been average at MLB.
Thought we had a strong rotation at DT but they are all JAGs.
We are going to struggle to stop Teams with strong running games.
49er's game was not an anomaly.
LVE average at LB? The storm is coming 3-3 in 2 weeks and maybe then people will see the emperor (LVE) has no clothes.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
LOL. They can't stop the run very well. It had nothing to do with our game plan. The Giants ran for 170 the week before, with Barkley averaging nearly 6 yards per carry.
Giants ran their quarterback and Barkley had one big run. The game was not in question. Please the defense has dominated every team we played so far.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not being able to stop the run could affect our pass rush. The longer your defense is on the field the more tired they get. You can tell Parsons is starting to wear down. He looked exhausted against Washington. He struggled against the running game and I believe it affected his pass rush. Washington pretty much ran right at him around the perimeter and was able to take him out of plays. He had Carson Wentz in his grasp for an easy sack and couldn’t hang on to him.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
The defense has been gashed by off tackle runs. It has little to do with the defensive tackles. It’s a contain problem, and it’s a product of philosophy. Quinn will give up the occasional run if he can get more pressure on the quarterback. His reasoning is rooted in analytics that show passing efficient with a high correlation to winning and running efficiency with a low correlation.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Stephen A. brought this up on first take. So I went and looked it up and he is correct so maybe we should keep our feet on the ground.

Our larger DTs are playing poorly.
Osa is playing well, but not a lot of sand in the pants there.

And is Bohanna out?

DT was the low hanging fruit to improve the team, and we did nothing. Couldn't even get our 5th round pick onto the PS. And just when we might have used him.

Starstruck22

Reaction score
Giants ran their quarterback and Barkley had one big run. The game was not in question. Please the defense has dominated every team we played so far.
The storm is coming. Let revisit this when we are destroyed by teams that actually have good offensive lines and run games. The emperor has no clothes.