Cowboys Defensive Tackles PFF Run Defense ranks are as follows after 2 games

Creeper

Reaction score
We knew the Cowboys DT rotation was going to be awful this year. We knew it was awful last year and it got worse this year.

I went back and looked at the Saints rushing game against Dallas and here are some stats. Do what you want with them.

The Saints rushed 39 times for 190 yards for an average of 4.9 yards per rush. Three of those rushes were kneel downs at the end of the game or the rush totals would be 36 for 193 or 5.4 yards per carry.

They rushed 19 times to the left for 115 yards or 6 yards per carry. They rushed up the middle 5 times for 23 yards or 4.6 yards per carry (not including the 3 kneel downs at the end of the game.) They ran 12 times to the right for an average of 4.6 yards.

The longest run was 15 yards. They have 5 runs of 10 yards or more, 4 were to the left. 1 was to the right and that was in the 4th quarter when Dallas had some scrubs in.

Of the 36 rushing attempts only 2 gains 0 or negative yards. There was only 1 negative run of -2 yards and that happened in the 4th quarter. The Saints had only 2 negative plays all day. including a 1 yard sack by Golston.

If does not look significant but If I recall a game last year where Dallas gave up over 200 yards rushing, a large percentage of it was to the left. That seems to be where the problem is.

So while our DTs are pretty awful against the run, I think the problem is bigger than just that. For whatever reason we seem to be more vulnerable on the left side. What I did not look at is who was lined up on the left DE. It seemed like they ran there whether it was Kneeland or Lawrence but I do not have the data for that analysis.

gtb1943

Reaction score
We knew the Cowboys DT rotation was going to be awful this year. We knew it was awful last year and it got worse this year.

I went back and looked at the Saints rushing game against Dallas and here are some stats. Do what you want with them.

The Saints rushed 39 times for 190 yards for an average of 4.9 yards per rush. Three of those rushes were kneel downs at the end of the game or the rush totals would be 36 for 193 or 5.4 yards per carry.

They rushed 19 times to the left for 115 yards or 6 yards per carry. They rushed up the middle 5 times for 23 yards or 4.6 yards per carry (not including the 3 kneel downs at the end of the game.) They ran 12 times to the right for an average of 4.6 yards.

The longest run was 15 yards. They have 5 runs of 10 yards or more, 4 were to the left. 1 was to the right and that was in the 4th quarter when Dallas had some scrubs in.

Of the 36 rushing attempts only 2 gains 0 or negative yards. There was only 1 negative run of -2 yards and that happened in the 4th quarter. The Saints had only 2 negative plays all day. including a 1 yard sack by Golston.

If does not look significant but If I recall a game last year where Dallas gave up over 200 yards rushing, a large percentage of it was to the left. That seems to be where the problem is.

So while our DTs are pretty awful against the run, I think the problem is bigger than just that. For whatever reason we seem to be more vulnerable on the left side. What I did not look at is who was lined up on the left DE. It seemed like they ran there whether it was Kneeland or Lawrence but I do not have the data for that analysis.
considering how many bleat here about how great Dlaw is against the run that is interesting

gtb1943

Reaction score
run the ball 36 times for real and only have TWO that do not gain yards.

That is an incredible stat.

now I think very little of PFF rankings or evaluations but those putrid numbers COUNTED THE FIRST GAME
so we must have come close to setting an all time record for bad against the run

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

More damning evidence on DAL's DTs. Opposing teams aren't double-teaming them much. According to this, Osa Odighizuwa currently has the highest double-team rate on DAL at ~44%, but that's 52nd among all DTs in the league. Even worse, DAL's NTs (the one who should be getting doubled most), are even worse. Mazi is all the way down at 34%. Offenses know they can simply single block DAL's DTs, thus getting other OL to the 2nd level much quicker, without DAL making them pay. This makes life extremely difficult for the LBs.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Stupid front office just can't see what is right in front of their faces. Maybe in another 5 or so years they will finally address the obvious issue...Rinse, repeat...

Plankton

Reaction score

It also has to do with the DTs not commanding double teams, which allows the OL to get to the linebackers, and also Trevon Diggs, who plays a lot of RCB, being very soft in run support.

But, the RDEs have been poor at setting the edge for a long time. Too much hero ball in trying to scream in on the QB, and not being assignment sound.

Carson

Reaction score
Well we knew this last year and they did nothing.
At this point, I would cut Joseph, Mazi and Phillips. Just sign 3-4 practice squad guys each week or two and see if something sticks.

There is no way every player they sign can be this bad

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ya'll haven't seen anything yet!
mqdefault.jpg

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
At this point, I would cut Joseph, Mazi and Phillips. Just sign 3-4 practice squad guys each week or two and see if something sticks.

There is no way every player they sign can be this bad
I mean I’d keep Mazi the other guys either Father Time caught up or they are just trash.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
The interior defensive line has been a problem for a long time now. I wish they had as much success there as they do drafting on the other side of the line.

Aven8

Reaction score
Maybe it’s time to see what Brock Hoffman has with a position switch……

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
These guys were both blown off the ball in power runs, and also unable to move laterally as the OL slid the gaps. Gotta be a lot better all around. Some good news though is that Baltimore seems to be more one dimensional in how their OL can attack. I'd anticipate a better showing this week from these guys, and if not we are in trouble.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
considering how many bleat here about how great Dlaw is against the run that is interesting
The saints were kick back or trapping him when they ran to his side. Only so much you can do as a player about that, it’s a scheme adjustment that needed to happen, such as moving the LB over the DE should solve that particular issue.