Draft Day ***Cowboys Draft DAY ONE***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big D

Reaction score
I’ll reserve judgment. He’s raw, but nasty as hell.

I’m certain some of the same people killing this pick, hated the Parsons pick.

truth is, nobody has a clue until this guy gets the pads on and plays some NFL snaps
After a quick review of his highlights he looks like he'll do ok. He seems to be a cool kid with a level head as well. I'll be pulling for him.

Pabst

Reaction score
Holy hell, did Jerry just show their draft grade sheet during the press conference? Wow.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
My biggest gripe is not taking the DE Jermaine Johnson from FSU. Not only a position of need (with Randy Gregory gone), but an incredible value pick at #24.

I guess the Cowboys felt they'd have a better chance of getting a starting defensive end than an OG when they pick in the second round. So they opted to secure their OL pick first, instead of the other way around. That's the only way I can make sense out of this. Time will tell.
Yep og was a glaring need

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry said one of the teams that wanted to trade up with them, they found out later that Smith would have been the pick.
They declined 3 trades as they did not want to lose out on Smith.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Strengths
  • Big, wide and nasty.
  • Violent and powerful at the point of attack.
  • Strong grip to stymie opponents.
  • Leg drive to move interior defender out of the gap.
  • Can kick-out or cave-in the edge defender.
  • Ability to slide laterally and capture play-side edge on wide run.
  • Adequate quickness out of stance and into pass set.
  • Flexion in hips and ankles helps establish his anchor.
  • Could see vaulted success rate with improved hand usage.
  • Reactive athleticism aids recovery talent in pass pro.
Weaknesses
  • Overall play is raw and undisciplined.
  • Pass protection technique needs overhaul.
  • Fails to maintain a grounded, balanced base.
  • Hands swing way out wide and rarely catch rusher's frame.
  • Defaulted to holding penalties at an alarming rate.
  • Fails to finish his block at times.
  • Doesn't play with consistent body control as run blocker.
  • Allows defender to cross his face and penetrate the gap.
This Tyler Smith is a 4th - 5th round talent, yet these morons who own this team passed up on Jermaine Johnson for this bum???

People are happy about this pick???

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Did Jerry say they had him rated higher than Green and Zion?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
NFL scouts comments from Bob McGinn:

5. TYLER SMITH, Tulsa (6-4 ½, 327, 5.04, 1-2): Another third-year sophomore. Started two of four games as a true freshman before redshirting. “Natural left tackle,” said one scout. ”This guy can pull and trap. Great technician. He can bend his knees and move his feet and slide. He was 21 on April 3. At the second level he was totally amazing. About as tough a guy as I saw. I don’t know how Tulsa got him. Only thing I didn’t like: he wants to hurt people. Sometimes when they do that, they get holding penalties (12 in 2021). He just smashes guys down and officials call a hold.” His high school in Fort Worth was small and fielded losing teams, reducing his exposure and college offers. “When you have the toughness he plays with and his makeup, there’s not an offensive line coach that would not want to work with him,” said a second scout. “He might have more upside than all these guys. You’re getting a really good athlete that can play guard or tackle. He’s long (34 arms). He’s a violent player. It’s hard for those guys to fail, but he has to clean up a lot of stuff from a fundamental standpoint. If you moved him to defense you’d be talking about a high-end nose tackle.” Made 21 starts at LT. Wonderlic of 30. “He’s a left tackle but I thought he was a long, long ways away,” said a third scout. “He’s just so out of control and so raw. Just sloppy. The big guy tries but the technique’s way off. He lunges, he’s top-heavy. I don’t see the top athletic ability that some others may see.”
With this write up, Smith should have been a top 5 pick.:omg::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.