Twitter: Cowboys Expected To Let Gallup Play Out The Last Year Of His Deal

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't even think its up to the Cowboys at this point. There is ZERO incentive for a player to sign a contract early unless they stink......and here you have #54...or I mean #9...I take that back...when he signed he was probably at his highest point. The contract wasn't going to get any higher so it made sense. For Gallup.....he still has some room to grow his contract. Same goes for Gregory. If they have big years they are breaking the bank.

817Gill

Reaction score
Are you sure you can afford to pay Cedric next year? If he plays well this year, would teams be willing to throw $8M/year at him? Would you match it? 3rd WR, emergency QB, and returns punts. Does he get $10M/year? He does have ex-Cowboy on his resume and teams pay a premium for that.
8M a year? He’d have to really show out this year to get that IMO. He seems more like 3 years for 10-12M to me.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't even think its up to the Cowboys at this point. There is ZERO incentive for a player to sign a contract early unless they stink......and here you have #54...or I mean #9...I take that back...when he signed he was probably at his highest point. The contract wasn't going to get any higher so it made sense. For Gallup.....he still has some room to grow his contract. Same goes for Gregory. If they have big years they are breaking the bank.

I agree overall, but I think Gregory will stay for another few years.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

I forgot about Gregory. Players who the Cowboys may no longer be able to afford: Gregory, Gallup, Williams, LVE, and Wilson. Those 5 players could be a huge loss.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree overall, but I think Gregory will stay for another few years.
I've had this conversation with a few people on here....and I seem to be in the minority on it but I think Gregory is going to get paid and if its not here its somewhere else. This league is too pass rushing starved not to. Some thought he may take a hometown discount but for a guy who hasn't earned much in the league and was just working at Amazon not too long ago? Approaching 30? This seems like his last chance to get a pay day.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I forgot about Gregory. Players who the Cowboys may no longer be able to afford: Gregory, Gallup, Williams, LVE, and Wilson. Those 5 players could be a huge loss.
Yeah....I don't like their approach with LVE. I get it. He has injury concerns but I would've exercised his option.

But maybe the front office is planning for this? They didn't spend much money this offseason in free agency aside from signing Dak.

If you aren't going to sign free agents then i'm left to believe you are just going to sign your own.

I think some guys may just outprice the Cowboys like Byron did. I'd say Gallup and LVE may be a candidate for that. I think Wilson could be a guy that gets a cheaper deal than we expect him to due to lack of production.

I think if Conner can be brought back cheap they'll bring him back but be stuck wondering will he be better than just drafting a guy next year in the 2nd or 3rd round?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I've had this conversation with a few people on here....and I seem to be in the minority on it but I think Gregory is going to get paid and if its not here its somewhere else. This league is too pass rushing starved not to. Some thought he may take a hometown discount but for a guy who hasn't earned much in the league and was just working at Amazon not too long ago? Approaching 30? This seems like his last chance to get a pay day.

I could see that. I think he knows he owes Jerry, but I could also see him, if he has a big year, leaving for a big payday. I could see him going out of the NFC at least out of loyalty to Jerry (he's probably one of a few players that owes Jerry some loyalty) to a team like the Chiefs who need pass rush.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Yeah....I don't like their approach with LVE. I get it. He has injury concerns but I would've exercised his option.

But maybe the front office is planning for this? They didn't spend much money this offseason in free agency aside from signing Dak.

If you aren't going to sign free agents then i'm left to believe you are just going to sign your own.

I think some guys may just outprice the Cowboys like Byron did. I'd say Gallup and LVE may be a candidate for that. I think Wilson could be a guy that gets a cheaper deal than we expect him to due to lack of production.

I think if Conner can be brought back cheap they'll bring him back but be stuck wondering will he be better than just drafting a guy next year in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Yeah, Cowboys prefer to sign their own. Connor Williams will be tough to re-sign. If he plays like he did the past 4 years, he could be looking at $15M/year. Colts Braden Smith got $17.5M/year.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t pay him what he’s gonna be worth. If he has a good season, he might get 14 per year.
Yes, there will have to be serious analysis of the cap. But, he's possibly more deserving of $14 million than others receiving big salaries. That's what a good GM gets paid to do

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I could see that. I think he knows he owes Jerry, but I could also see him, if he has a big year, leaving for a big payday. I could see him going out of the NFC at least out of loyalty to Jerry (he's probably one of a few players that owes Jerry some loyalty) to a team like the Chiefs who need pass rush.
Yeah I think he feels he owes Jerry to an extent. But I also think Jerry likes him enough to where he'd probably play what he wants lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, Cowboys prefer to sign their own. Connor Williams will be tough to re-sign. If he plays like he did the past 4 years, he could be looking at $15M/year. Colts Braden Smith got $17.5M/year.
Oh hell...Conner gotta go then lol.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah I think he feels he owes Jerry to an extent. But I also think Jerry likes him enough to where he'd probably play what he wants lol.

As in play where he wants? I think Gregory probably goes to an AFC team for the reason I stated.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Then you get into the who's available in the draft conversation. $4m/year or draft. Gallup's entire rookie contract was around $5m & Wilson isn't near as good.

https://overthecap.com/player/michael-gallup/6966/

Salaries are going up, up, and away. Haven't you been paying attention?:) Gallup will want Golladay money plus inflation. Wilson isn't looking for $4M/year. That is chump change.

Wilson would not even entertain any offer of $4M/year form Jerry right now.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Salaries are going up, up, and away. Haven't you been paying attention?:) Gallup will want Golladay money plus inflation. Wilson isn't looking for $4M/year. That is chump change.

Wilson would not even entertain any offer of $4M/year form Jerry right now.
That's my point. Receivers are entering the NFL a lot more ready to play now. Yes they aren't great their 1st year, but a $6m rookie contract compaired to $20m lets you wait a year.