Twitter: Cowboys Expected To Let Gallup Play Out The Last Year Of His Deal

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's worth it. So far in camp, Williams looks better than McGovern. Any RB can run through a hole; few can make that hole. Paying RB Elliott was a huge mistake.
That just seems excessive for someone who's not one of the best at his positon. and I like Williams....but if Zack Martin is getting 14 million....I can't justify Conner getting anywhere near that. I'm all for re-signing All Pro linemen but I Think for guys the caliber of Conner...you gotta let them go.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

The slight hope for an extension before years is now extinguished lol. Hopefully this trio can help us make a run this year, would be nice to get some dominant memories of the WR Crew. Super likeable bunch.

P.S.

How confident on a 1-5 scale, 1 being no confidence and 5 being extremely confident, are you that Cedrick Wilson (who’s also on the last year of his deal) or other WR’s on the roster can step in as the number 3 without us missing a beat?

I’m about at a 3 but could easily be a 4 if Wilson shows more consistency this year. Certainly looked good in the HOF game and training camp so far.

Enjoy it this year. This is the best WR combination the Cowboys have ever had in their history. It will be minus one next season. Sad to see that Jerry is happy to just let the kid go without a fight.

817Gill

Reaction score
Teams who aren't paying QBs $40M+/year and RBs $15M/year will be able to spend freely. Wilson will be looking for much more than $4M/year.
Man Wilson doesn’t even have 30 career receptions, do you know how much he would have to do to get more than 4M? 22 receptions in 3 years isn’t going to get you much more than that. For example;

Josh Reynold 2020 stats vs Wilson’s

Reynolds: 52 receptions for 618 yards and 2 TD’s

Wilson: 17 receptions for 189 yards and 2 TD’s

For Reynolds work, he got a 1 year deal worth 1.75M. He has triple the stats Wilson does and has been much more durable. It’s an extremely saturated WR market these days, and Reynolds didn’t even get to 2M. In what world would Wilson sniff 8M? I’m being pretty generous with the 3-4M, in reality he’s going to have to put together a 40+ catch 600+ yard season to get to 8M.

I like Wilson a lot and think he can be our slot going forward, but let’s not do that Cowboys fan thing where we severely overrate our own guys. There are 50 other Cedrick Wilson’s in this league, no way they pay them all big bucks.

A good example would be Albert Wilson. In 2018 he signed a 3 year 24M dollar deal (8M a year). To earn that his statistical output in 2017 was 42 receptions for 554 yards and 3 TD’s. Like I said, 40 receptions and around 600 yards and his ST ability would give him a shot. Plus, with the WR market saturating Cedrick might actually need a bit more than that stat-wise.

Last edited:

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, Cowboys prefer to sign their own. Connor Williams will be tough to re-sign. If he plays like he did the past 4 years, he could be looking at $15M/year. Colts Braden Smith got $17.5M/year.
Cmon now - 8-10 mil for Wilson and his 22 career receptions, and 15 mil for Williams - as we used to say back in the day - you buggin'

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Follow the money Mr Gallup.

Yeah you can't blame him if he does, this is his chance to set his family up for life and he should take it. i wish we could keep him and trade Coop, but i don't think that will happen. So Coop and CeeDee it is, along with Wilson and another youngun who steps up. Dallas will be fine at WR.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
That just seems excessive for someone who's not one of the best at his positon. and I like Williams....but if Zack Martin is getting 14 million....I can't justify Conner getting anywhere near that. I'm all for re-signing All Pro linemen but I Think for guys the caliber of Conner...you gotta let them go.

Colts G Braden Smith just signed for $17.25M/year. Is he better than Martin? No way. Byron Jones signed for more than Howard was making. Look at the goofy money the Bills threw at Josh Allen. Is he better than Mahomes? Is he better than Dak? (I had to throw that in there just for kicks and grins. Give some red meat to posters :))

Market price. Other teams are willing to pay Williams more than Zach Martin's $14M/year salary. Does that mean you let him go becasue you don't want to pay market price and insult Martin? Or, does Martin holdout and demand more money like Dolphins CB Howard.

Supposedly, the Cowboys paid market price for Dak. I assume you were on board with paying Dak $40M, right? So, why are you not willing to pay G Williams market price? Does he deserve less because Dak and Elliott and Lawrence are eating up all the money?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Cmon now - 8-10 mil for Wilson and his 22 career receptions, and 15 mil for Williams - as we used to say back in the day - you buggin'

@817Gill Well, people are telling me Wilson is good enough and can be the #3 WR and replace Gallup. Yet, on the other hand, he isn't worth $5M. Is he a starting caliber WR in the NFL? If a team thinks so, he will be paid market price accordingly. Not Wilson's fault he was stuck behind Cooper, Gallup, and Lamb. Stats don't tell the whole story with Wilson.

conner01

Reaction score
If he leaves, it will be very disappointing to say the least.
I’m sure we all will
But I don’t think anyone expected them to not let him test the market
I’d love to keep him but the economics probably means he or cooper won’t be here

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Translate: he's walking
Not sure many have noticed but Stephen Jones has one major prerequisite for giving 2nd deals........Pro Bowl or All-Pro. If you go back and check you'll most, if not players he's given 2nd contracts had at least one Pro Bowl. As for Gallup, he'll likely get a low-ball take it or leave it offer.
Either him or Cooper is a goner, little chance both return. Cooper is by far the better player, but he has chronic issues with his feet.

conner01

Reaction score
I don't even think its up to the Cowboys at this point. There is ZERO incentive for a player to sign a contract early unless they stink......and here you have #54...or I mean #9...I take that back...when he signed he was probably at his highest point. The contract wasn't going to get any higher so it made sense. For Gallup.....he still has some room to grow his contract. Same goes for Gregory. If they have big years they are breaking the bank.
There is gonna be a decent market for Gallup
Not so sure Gregory will have much of a market unless he puts up pro bowl numbers this year, and even then I think teams will be nervous
But if I’m Gallup I play out
It gives me the best options to either go after the best pay day or get the most from Jerry if I wanted to stay here

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Colts G Braden Smith just signed for $17.25M/year. Is he better than Martin? No way. Byron Jones signed for more than Howard was making. Look at the goofy money the Bills threw at Josh Allen. Is he better than Mahomes? Is he better than Dak? (I had to throw that in there just for kicks and grins. Give some red meat to posters :))

Market price. Other teams are willing to pay Williams more than Zach Martin's $14M/year salary. Does that mean you let him go becasue you don't want to pay market price and insult Martin? Or, does Martin holdout and demand more money like Dolphins CB Howard.

Supposedly, the Cowboys paid market price for Dak. I assume you were on board with paying Dak $40M, right? So, why are you not willing to pay G Williams market price? Does he deserve less because Dak and Elliott and Lawrence are eating up all the money?

Braden got paid as a tackle though. Not a guard.

And I’d also say he’s a much better player than Conner.

I understand that for players of the same caliber that yes one will get paid higher than the other and it will never cap out. But Conner isn’t here. Maybe after this season?

khiladi

Reaction score
Anybody that thinks this guy is anywhere close to Cooper need to be examined for brain damage. The guy basically runs deep, go routes and hasn’t proven in any way, he can be a big time WR that runs multitude of routes.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There is gonna be a decent market for Gallup
Not so sure Gregory will have much of a market unless he puts up pro bowl numbers this year, and even then I think teams will be nervous
But if I’m Gallup I play out
It gives me the best options to either go after the best pay day or get the most from Jerry if I wanted to stay here
I mean you are right but that goes into why I say both will play it out. Gregory doesn’t have much value now or much leverage. He has to put a full season of tape on.

817Gill

Reaction score
@817Gill Well, people are telling me Wilson is good enough and can be the #3 WR and replace Gallup. Yet, on the other hand, he isn't worth $5M. Is he a starting caliber WR in the NFL? If a team thinks so, he will be paid market price accordingly. Not Wilson's fault he was stuck behind Cooper, Gallup, and Lamb. Stats don't tell the whole story with Wilson.
He’s good enough to be a number 3 in an offense with stars everywhere sure. Wilson being good enough to be a WR3 for us merely means he’s capable of being an average player. The team could easily invest a 3 in another WR and get a better player for cheaper from day one.

Don’t price Wilson solely in the vacuum of him being a WR3. The largest thing to consider is the depth of WR’s in the draft annually as well as free agency.

Again, if Wilson wants 6,7,8M+ he’s going to have to hit 40+ and 500+ at least. No way he does that as WR4. The list of passing targets ideally (meaning ideally game script wise) would look like this:

Cooper
Lamb
Gallup
Jarwin
Elliott
Shultz

He would be the seventh in targets and that’s if Pollard doesn’t get the boost in targets insiders have clamored for. I don’t see a path to 40-50 receptions and 500-600 yards. We would have to pass for 6000+ yards to get that done.