Twitter: Cowboys Expected To Let Gallup Play Out The Last Year Of His Deal

Sydla

Reaction score
Get rid of AC and re-sign MG.

Cooper is better.

The only reason to cut Cooper and sign Gallup is for cap savings. But if Gallup is getting ridiculous offers in FA, the cap savings might not be enough to justify trading Cooper for Gallup.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Have Zeke and Jaylon cut him a check.
how about just Dak...makes twice s much as the next guy and doesn't play season and now doesnt practice..got that shoe deal and 10 other sponsored deals..so yup Dak wants a thirds premium weapon, let him pay Gallup

i think the jonses need to see Gallup one more year then decide to keep or trade AC.he could always be tagged etc let gallup play his way into forcing the jonses into tough decsions..we dont need 3 premium WRs at high costs lamb will also be paid sooner then later..

we can shift some balls to the TEs and more to Pollard etc

Motorola

Reaction score
I could see that. I think he knows he owes Jerry, but I could also see him, if he has a big year, leaving for a big payday. I could see him going out of the NFC at least out of loyalty to Jerry (he's probably one of a few players that owes Jerry some loyalty) to a team like the Chiefs who need pass rush.
Cowboys stuck with Gregory for 6 years - through thick and thin, ups and downs, progress and setbacks. 40 games played out of an optimum 99 (96 regular season and three postseason). Hopefully he balls out and help get this defense back to an average to good unit (or better) this season before leaving for "greener" pastures.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm guessing the challenge and/or question for his next is whether or not he's a #1 or 2 guy. I'm sure he and his agent will say he can be the #1 guy with enough targets.
Yep. That’s exactly what they’re going to do. What he has working against him is that the league is deep of receivers….they’re coming in the draft and at a high right.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

The slight hope for an extension before years is now extinguished lol. Hopefully this trio can help us make a run this year, would be nice to get some dominant memories of the WR Crew. Super likeable bunch.

P.S.

How confident on a 1-5 scale, 1 being no confidence and 5 being extremely confident, are you that Cedrick Wilson (who’s also on the last year of his deal) or other WR’s on the roster can step in as the number 3 without us missing a beat?

I’m about at a 3 but could easily be a 4 if Wilson shows more consistency this year. Certainly looked good in the HOF game and training camp so far.

I'd put it at 4, but there's a caveat to that - and that's how the health of the o-line, health of Cooper and Lamb and development of o-line youngsters goes. If we keep Smith, et al all healthy, Wilson doesn't have to be that great, ability-wise, because the Cowboys will have a super balanced offense with Zeke running the ball, and Jarwin & Schultz & Pollard having to be accounted for by defenses. In other words defenses will be overwhelmed by the Cowboys' offense, assuming the league sticks with only 11 players allowed on defense.

Don't see Wilson catching a lot of passes or getting a lot of touchdowns in that case, so he'll be mostly a bit player....

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Imo is Ceedee is the real deal, let Coop walk and hold Gallup

My take as well. Get younger, less injury prone, and gain cap relief.

Letting this season play out before making any commitments makes a ton of sense as well.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think Gallup is gonna want to much money. Would love to keep him but have a feeling he is gone. Would almost rather keep him over Cooper. Let’s see how they play this year. It maybe a plan to cut or trade Cooper.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chances are better Noah Brown steps in at Gallup's spot over Wilson.
I never get all the over hype and love for Wilson ever since he was drafted. I came around to like him, but he still has not shown to me why he gets so much hype. Yes, he had a few really good games, then disappeared. But the hype is still there which is ok, I can see why some do like him a lot.
Brown has been more consistent, and been improving. As they both seem to be over their injury bug, and are being used better than what Garrett did.

Both are on 1 year deals, and one will get a good offer next year. Wilson has more speed and shiftier, but Brown is a good route runner and does a lot of other things Wilson does not do.

I still feel they can find a way to keep Gallup. But id they end up getting a 3rd round comp pick, that is the way it is. I will not concern myself about it until next off-season.
For now, I am glad we have Gallup, Wilson, Brown on the roster. What are the chances all 3 will not be back? Now that could sting.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I was pretty sure they would, as we quite simply could not fit his salary in.
Yeah...I mean I honestly questioned if they'd give that money to Zeke or Byron. There was also a time when I didn't think Jaylon or La'El would be brought back either. I thought Byron was priority over all of them.

And for the record I think it was the right choice(well maybe not Byron over Jaylon but I think the correct move would've been not to pay either one of them in hindsight)

Creeper

Reaction score
This is not a prove it year for Gallup. He has already shown what kind of player he is and what kind of teammate. The fact is, the Cowboys will not be able to afford him next year and they know it. We have to be prepared to lose some players next winter because they are a projected $24.8 million over the CAP assuming the CAP is set to the maximum.

I am guessing Connor Williams is gone as well. I only hope they can sign Gregory if he has a good year.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Translate: he's walking
Not sure many have noticed but Stephen Jones has one major prerequisite for giving 2nd deals........Pro Bowl or All-Pro. If you go back and check you'll most, if not players he's given 2nd contracts had at least one Pro Bowl. As for Gallup, he'll likely get a low-ball take it or leave it offer.

Except Dak is neither of those.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys most likely plan on losing both Cooper and Gallup. If Gregory does have the great season everyone anticipates then they will probably focus on paying him. It will be expensive. Thee is also the possibility of LVE having a bounce back season.

This 2021 season may be the very best opportunity for a championship for the next three years.

quickccc

Reaction score
Cedrick can be a #3 WR, but he isn't anywhere near as good a player as Gallup.

+1

Wilson will be more like a big possession slot guy- but his lack of speed and vertical ability limits us with over the top ability and match ups.
Doesn't have that capability and he doesn't scare or intimidate CBs in that sense.

Where the dilienma will be is Cooper's chronic foot issues. How much will they continue to plague him and perhaps even limit him.

i know he always trying to gut it with the discomfort and he's still shows up active on gameday.
But i have to wonder if those foot problems not only limit his physical ability in some games, but could this end up being more problematic as his career goes along ?

And his currently renewed contract is a helluva a cap price toll to have just half of him in future seasons.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you sure you can afford to pay Cedric next year? If he plays well this year, would teams be willing to throw $8M/year at him? Would you match it? 3rd WR, emergency QB, and returns punts. Does he get $10M/year? He does have ex-Cowboy on his resume and teams pay a premium for that.
With Cooper, Lamb and Gallup, plus plenty of running game emphasis, how would Cedrick get that much action this year?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The slight hope for an extension before years is now extinguished lol. Hopefully this trio can help us make a run this year, would be nice to get some dominant memories of the WR Crew. Super likeable bunch.

P.S.

How confident on a 1-5 scale, 1 being no confidence and 5 being extremely confident, are you that Cedrick Wilson (who’s also on the last year of his deal) or other WR’s on the roster can step in as the number 3 without us missing a beat?

I’m about at a 3 but could easily be a 4 if Wilson shows more consistency this year. Certainly looked good in the HOF game and training camp so far.

I see several young pending free agents that this cap-strapped team will have difficulty re-signing after this year