Cowboys FO may have fooled y'all / FO is spineless / FO needs to pull head out **mega-thread**

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, how does getting outbid for Sammy Watkins look right now, even in hindsight?

Hint: It was the right thing to do to let the Chiefs have him. The chiefs will cut him after this year, as soon as they can cap-wise.

I wish the Cowboys would have signed ET, but wait and see how it plays out.

Its not about bidding on Watkins. ITs the fact they are lying about it. They are lying about bidding on these guys. They make a half attempt and throw their hands up like they did all they could do. But they haven't. They could've signed 2 starters if they wanted to for that contract they say they wanted to give Watkins.

aria

Reaction score
McClay only finds the players. The Joneses handle the money part.
No offense but I don’t even think you know for sure. As recently as Jaylon and Jerry’s other pet projects, he (Jerry) was still making some picks.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I have a feeling that, since the Earl money is off the table, we should see news on a Tank or Dak contract in the next two days.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't believe anything this front office says.

More people should stop.

They talk about 'urgency' and 'how things have changed', and 'backs to the wall' and then can't re-sign their one player most deserving of getting paid, and then go off on vacation at the start of a second consecutive free agency period, on a $250 million boat that the suckers bought and paid for.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I thought Will McClay was the genius behind this roster and Jerrah stays out of it now? Or does McClay only control the draft and Jerrah/Stephen take care of the contracts and FA?

I’ll go with option C. No one knows what the hell is going on or who should get credit for what.
We know for sure McClay isn't handling the money. We know who's doing that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
More people should stop.

They talk about 'urgency' and 'how things have changed', and 'backs to the wall' and then can't re-sign their one player most deserving of getting paid, and then go off on vacation at the start of a second consecutive free agency period, on a $250 million boat that the suckers bought and paid for.
These guys really are going to come into this offseason and say they were a Kellen Moore at OC away from winning the Super Bowl this year. Lord have mercy.........

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought Will McClay was the genius behind this roster and Jerrah stays out of it now? Or does McClay only control the draft and Jerrah/Stephen take care of the contracts and FA?

I’ll go with option C. No one knows what the hell is going on or who should get credit for what.

Somebody deserves credit for all of this. That much we know.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a feeling that, since the Earl money is off the table, we should see news on a Tank or Dak contract in the next two days.

Oh, I fully expect the Dak contract to be coming.

Far too soon, and for far too much.

But the Joneses will crow about it like they think they've accomplished something.

Other than looking stupid.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No offense but I don’t even think you know for sure. As recently as Jaylon and Jerry’s other pet projects, he (Jerry) was still making some picks.

Of course we know. That's not McClay's role. McClay isn't even the GM in title. We know who the GM and owner is. Why would McClay have control of their money?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Oh, I fully expect the Dak contract to be coming.

Far too soon, and for far too much.

But the Joneses will crow about it like they think they've accomplished something.

Other than looking stupid.
They are either going to be real stupid on the Dak deal or real smart. And I'm a Dak fan but they are rushing to get his deal done as if they are going to get a bargain. If they are rushing to get a deal done for 25 million a year then fair enough. If they are rushing to get a deal done for 30+? It makes no sense.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
It’s mind-blowing we still have people that homer for this front office. What a joke we are. Thanks Jerry and Stephen. Go ahead and give JG a lifetime extension while you are at it.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
They've created the ultimate hustle. "Building through the draft" with this current core means that the team will always be good but not good enough due to the constant influx of youth. Because of this, they can sell the fanbase on being "a few years away" every season.

2014 - Yeah we lost in a hearbreaking playoff game but our OL is so young, Dez hasn't even hit his prime yet, and Lawrence is just a rookie. Romo can play into his late 30s. This team will be great in a few years!

2018 - Yeah we lost in the divisional round again but our OL/Lawrence are just now reaching their prime and Dak, Zeke, Cooper, LVE, Jaylon are all young. This team will be great in a few years!

2022 - Yeah we lost again but we need our 2019 and 2020 draft classes to get more experience and this team will be great in a few years!

khiladi

Reaction score
I said it back then. Stephen Jones explicitly stated pre-draft last year they would build through the draft and not make any major splashes in free agency. He explicitly said that this is their philosophy. They will try and keep their big-names players before they hit the market, signing them early. Their whole philosophy in reality is to be cheap from now on which explains all their decisions.

The fact they were successful somewhat in 2016 has ‘proven’ to them in their own minds they can consistently field competitive teams on the cheap, while selling it as smart football decisions. They basically lucked into it, but even that smokescreen was falling apart last year when the “Dak friendly” offense was a joke. The only reason they went on on Cooper last year was because of how embarrassing the offense was and the whole world was saying to bring back Dez.

Earl Thomas was never coming here, because he even said this was all about his last major contract and it’s about the money.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They've created the ultimate hustle. "Building through the draft" with this current core means that the team will always be good but not good enough due to the constant influx of youth. Because of this, they can sell the fanbase on being "a few years away" every season.

2014 - Yeah we lost in a hearbreaking playoff game but our OL is so young, Dez hasn't even hit his prime yet, and Lawrence is just a rookie. Romo can play into his late 30s. This team will be great in a few years!

2018 - Yeah we lost in the divisional round again but our OL/Lawrence are just now reaching their prime and Dak, Zeke, Cooper, LVE, Jaylon are all young. This team will be great in a few years!

2022 - Yeah we lost again but we need our 2019 and 2020 draft classes to get more experience and this team will be great in a few years!
Yeah and will never be bad enough to get a top 5 pick and will probably be good enough to have to fight for a playoff spot week 17 of the season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I said it back then. Stephen Jones explicitly stated pre-draft last year they would build through the draft and not make any major splashes in free agency. He explicitly said that this is their philosophy. They will try and keep their big-names players before they hit the market, signing them early. Their whole philosophy in reality is to be cheap from now on which explains all their decisions.

The fact they were successful somewhat in 2016 has ‘proven’ to them in their own minds they can consistently field competitive teams on the cheap, while selling it as smart football decisions. They basically lucked into it, but even that smokescreen was falling apart last year when the “Dak friendly” offense was a joke. The only reason they went on on Cooper last year was because of how embarrassing the offense was and the whole world was saying to bring back Dez.

Earl Thomas was never coming here, because he even said this was all about his last major contract and it’s about the money.

But you don't have a 1st round pick so how on earth does Stephen play on building through the draft? IT wouldn't shock me if they pull a 2009 and just trade down. This draft can potentially be a disaster.......and they are putting all their eggs into this basket.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The FO says all the right things.

But bottom line - Jerry values money more than anything in the world.

And we keep buying into his crap.

Super Bowl or not, prized FA signing or not, the Cowboys are a cash cow; The biggest sports-related cash cow in the world.

The Jones' are more than content with that. Team success is just gravy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are either going to be real stupid on the Dak deal or real smart. And I'm a Dak fan but they are rushing to get his deal done as if they are going to get a bargain. If they are rushing to get a deal done for 25 million a year then fair enough. If they are rushing to get a deal done for 30+? It makes no sense.

I'm very much anticipating high end.

Again, while the rest of the league is learning that huge money contracts to quarterbacks is a mistake - see Cousins, Carr, Stafford, and the other top 6 paid quarterbacks that watched the playoffs from home, the Cowboys are rushing to be the very next team to, in fact, make that mistake.

And some fans are already rubber-stamping it as a good thing. It's insane.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
All signs point to Jerry wanting to tank this season over doing anything that even resembles taking the next step.
Imagine playing the Rams again right now with the same team, minus Beasley and Gregory, and maybe Tank (even though he was MIA in that game, anyway).