Cowboys FO may have fooled y'all / FO is spineless / FO needs to pull head out **mega-thread**

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry played high school, then college ball, then bought the Cowboys 30 years ago. During that time, he’s been immersed in football—endless meetings with players, coaches, scouts, GM’s, other owners, and media people, and during that time he BECAME a football guy. We know all about the problems and the shortcomings—no need to do the laundry list for the 57,000th time. He had to learn SOMETHING, right? Think about your own profession. Say you’re a carpenter for 30 years, and some internet warrior says you don’t know diddly about woodworking—“he’s not a carpenter!”

What would YOU say?
E, he has not immersed himself in football. He has proved beyond any doubt that he doesn't get it. He is not a football guy.

kskboys

Reaction score
More like, if I was a surgical technician and assisted on 10k surgeries doen't make me qualified to be a surgeon. Just because I was around it doesn't mean that I'm qualified to do it, it takes specialized training going through classes, doing residencies and other training to become a surgeon.

Most "football" guys came up through the sport and coached on lower levels (high school, college, jr. college) and proved themselves and were promoted eventually to the NFL, in other words it was merit based. Stephen, Jerry or Jason got their jobs due to merit and thus is the reason that they'll never be respected for their knowledge or be know as "football" guys.
Jerry is not even a pimple on a football guy's bum.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’d say he’s been terrible at times, but some of it goes beyond what he does. Listen, I’m not defending Jerry. I’m just a firm believer in a collection of variables, the proverbial “Death by a 1,000 cuts”. I totally get the frustration, but is anyone seriously gonna give up on their team?
Never.

But, I'm also not going to lie to myself and claim Jerry doesn't suck at GM when he's proven beyond any doubt whatsoever that he does.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The other teams that do take their chances and maybe overpay for FA have something in common, they are accountable to someone. They need to improve and win, the Joneses do not. No jobs or money on the line for them so they take the easy way out announcing they'd rather keep their own and they will once again be at the top of the revenue list for 2019 and be a ratings champ. They will use FA to fill in the holes.

What is their incentive to work hard and really get into the FA fray?

ESisback

Reaction score
The other teams that do take their chances and maybe overpay for FA have something in common, they are accountable to someone. They need to improve and win, the Joneses do not. No jobs or money on the line for them so they take the easy way out announcing they'd rather keep their own and they will once again be at the top of the revenue list for 2019 and be a ratings champ. They will use FA to fill in the holes.

What is their incentive to work hard and really get into the FA fray?

At least that’s the prevailing perception...

ESisback

Reaction score
Never.

But, I'm also not going to lie to myself and claim Jerry doesn't suck at GM when he's proven beyond any doubt whatsoever that he does.

I’m not going to lie to myself either! We live in a gray world!

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m not going to lie to myself either! We live in a gray world!
Hey, darlin', you're the one who claimed Jerry is a football guy!!!!

In doing so, you're actually doing what you're complaining about the naysayers doing, misrepresenting stuff!!!!!

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Mean while the Giants and others are active over paying for players every year and have gotten worse not better.

ESisback

Reaction score
Hey, darlin', you're the one who claimed Jerry is a football guy!!!!

In doing so, you're actually doing what you're complaining about the naysayers doing, misrepresenting stuff!!!!!

I never said the words “Jerry is a football guy!” I’m merely saying he’s accumulated more football savvy than many folks will acknowledge, that he’s not the root of all evil, and that we live in a gray world at the mercy of a myriad of variables. I’ve recounted his sins over and over and over, but my opinion is simply me “lying to myself”?

Pokes12

Reaction score
Stephen and Jerry Jones are still trying to prove to the world that they are "football" guys. So much so that they have resorted to trying to fool the rest of the football world.

The reason the Cowboys have be inactive during free agency the last 5 years or so is because it gives the illusion that they are being calculated, smart, conservative, rational and financially responsible when in actuality they just don't know how to build a team using the draft and free agency. They Jones's have figured that since they don't know how to evaluate players from other teams then they'll just pass on them and saying that the player price was too high which allows them not to make on a player and run the risk of being ridiculed.

The problem with this is that you never sign anyone of value.
What are you talking about, we signed Codey McElroy didn't we??

kskboys

Reaction score
I never said the words “Jerry is a football guy!” I’m merely saying he’s accumulated more football savvy than many folks will acknowledge, that he’s not the root of all evil, and that we live in a gray world at the mercy of a myriad of variables. I’ve recounted his sins over and over and over, but my opinion is simply me “lying to myself”?
If you didn't say Jerry was a football guy, then I retract!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry has zero football saavy. He's a ball watcher, doesn't understand trenches and safeties and such. He is the root of our problems simply by being the polar opposite of football saavy.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
William McClay is the Brilliance behind the scene. Jerry isn't fooling anybody any longer.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you didn't say Jerry was a football guy, then I retract!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry has zero football saavy. He's a ball watcher, doesn't understand trenches and safeties and such. He is the root of our problems simply by being the polar opposite of football saavy.
When Jerry Jones was younger he had those College contacts. He had a ton of insight. But he doesn't have that background any longer that's why William McClay has taken over. Make no mistake about it Jerry at one time was brilliant

Creeper

Reaction score
No one who hasn't won a championship or even made the conference championship in over 20 years is fooling anyone. No one is copying the Jones' formula.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I've seen no proof of this. Why do you think this?
Well, he's certainly the only owner that was team co-captain of a national championship college football team.
Just for starters.

It goes on from there.
His IQ is very high, despite what some assume due to his accent. A guy who grew in football and then is surrounded by people like Johnson, Parcells, and dozens of other NFL minds over the course of 25-30 years. Someone who has been in 100s of film sessions with these guys just because he wants to see how they operate...I think he knows the game better than most owners.

He's from a football family, they just happen to also be very businessmen too
  • Jerry was co-captain on college National Champ Arkansas and played in a Orange Bowl
  • Stephen's son was 2 time state champion QB in Texas and is now a QB in college
  • Stephen's son was a two time Texas champion QB and is now a college QB

Again, I'm talking owner, not GM

Last edited:

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
No one who hasn't won a championship or even made the conference championship in over 20 years is fooling anyone. No one is copying the Jones' formula.

If we haven’t had the talent to win, then we can’t blame Garrett (or Scott or Rod), right?

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If we haven’t had the talent to win, then we can’t blame Garrett (or Scott or Rod), right?
I think we've had the talent. We haven't just put it all together. And I put that on the front office for not allowing Jason to hire his own staff