Cowboys franchise Pollard next season?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Really? They did it for Schultz. I would think that they would do it for Pollard.

They had no choice but to pay Schultz for one season because they couldn’t afford to lose him, along with Amari Cooper and Cedrick Wilson. That would have literally wiped out our entire starting receiving group, except for CeeDee. Schultz tied for the team lead along with Cooper with 8 TD catches. Plus Schultz has been Dak’s security blanket. I find it hard to believe the Cowboys would turn around and pay a complementary back 12 million per for one season. He’s a very good player, but he does have some liabilities.

reddyuta

Reaction score
yeah lets pay our RBs close to 30 million a year,thats is the worst roster management idea ever only behind drafting a RB in the top 10 of the draft.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
They had no choice but to pay Schultz for one season because they couldn’t afford to lose him, along with Amari Cooper and Cedrick Wilson. That would have literally wiped out our entire starting receiving group, except for CeeDee. Schultz tied for the team lead along with Cooper with 8 TD catches. Plus Schultz has been Dak’s security blanket. I find it hard to believe the Cowboys would turn around and pay a complementary back 12 million per for one season. He’s a very good player, but he does have some liabilities.

Most of the Zeke haters will tell you that running backs are a dime a dozen and you never pay them top dollar. I will say the same thing about Pollard getting paid that I said about Zeke.. he will only be worth it if you use him. If the Cowboys are going to stop using Pollard to his fullest the way they did with Zeke then there is no point in re-signing him either. That said, if they HAVE finally seen the light and are willing to work out a way to keep this tandem together I think they can become a modern day Thurman Thomas/Kenneth Davis type combo. The ideal thing would be to restructure Zeke, give Pollard a fluffy numbered deal with a big up front bonus and keep this thing rollin.

rambo2

Reaction score
A complementary back? He leads the league in yards per carry. It is pretty much a no brainer to keep him on this very good team.

rambo2

Reaction score
yeah lets pay our RBs close to 30 million a year,thats is the worst roster management idea ever only behind drafting a RB in the top 10 of the draft.
You do realize that they have one of the best rosters in the league if not the best? I just wonder what a guy like you is thinking. You actually believe that that they haven't built an outstanding roster?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A complementary back? He leads the league in yards per carry. It is pretty much a no brainer to keep him on this very good team.

That’s exactly what he is a complementary back. When Zeke is healthy he starts every game and Pollard is worked in. Pollard is a role player and I’ve never said not to keep him. I would rather keep him than Zeke but it will come down to money. With Dak making the kind of money he’s making the Cowboys have made up their mind they’re not going to overpay an RB who isn’t an every down back after being on the books for 15 million per season with Zeke. The Cowboys have some big contracts coming up in the future with Parsons, Diggs and CeeDee. RBs are a dime a dozen and the Cowboys could look elsewhere if Pollards demands are too high. Let’s not forget the Cowboys moved on from DeMarco Murray after leading the league in rushing and setting a franchise record of over 1800 yards in 2014 because of money.

rambo2

Reaction score
That’s exactly what he is a complementary back. When Zeke is healthy he starts every game and Pollard is worked in. Pollard is a role player and I’ve never said not to keep him. I would rather keep him than Zeke but it will come down to money. With Dak making the kind of money he’s making the Cowboys have made up their mind they’re not going to overpay an RB who isn’t an every down back after being on the books for 15 million per season with Zeke. The Cowboys have some big contracts coming up in the future with Parsons, Diggs and CeeDee. RBs are a dime a dozen and the Cowboys could look elsewhere if Pollards demands are too high. Let’s not forget the Cowboys moved on from DeMarco Murray after leading the league in rushing and setting a franchise record of over 1800 yards in 2014 because of money.
I'll bet that Pollard will be on the team in 2023. They aren't going to let him go.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Most of the Zeke haters will tell you that running backs are a dime a dozen and you never pay them top dollar. I will say the same thing about Pollard getting paid that I said about Zeke.. he will only be worth it if you use him. If the Cowboys are going to stop using Pollard to his fullest the way they did with Zeke then there is no point in re-signing him either. That said, if they HAVE finally seen the light and are willing to work out a way to keep this tandem together I think they can become a modern day Thurman Thomas/Kenneth Davis type combo. The ideal thing would be to restructure Zeke, give Pollard a fluffy numbered deal with a big up front bonus and keep this thing rollin.

It doesn’t take a Zeke hater to tell you that RBs are a dime a dozen. Some excellent backs have been found after the first round. The Cowboys aren’t going over pay for a back that’s not an every down back. Pollard is a very good player, but he does have some liabilities.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'll bet that Pollard will be on the team in 2023. They aren't going to let him go.

I wouldn’t hope he is with the team next season, but I wouldn’t bet too much that he will be. Some of the media members around Dallas seem to think the Cowboys might re-sign Zeke for a much cheaper contract and move on from Pollard. I hope that’s not the case but that’s what’s being reported. Someone may offer Pollard a lot of money in free agency. Money is the reason they moved on from Amari Cooper Jerry said so himself. The Cowboys have some huge contracts coming up with Parsons, Trevon, Diggs, and CeeDee.

rambo2

Reaction score
It doesn’t take a Zeke hater to tell you that RBs are a dime a dozen. Some excellent backs have been found after the first round. The Cowboys aren’t going over pay for a back that’s not an every down back. Pollard is a very good player, but he does have some liabilities.
Pollard is one of the best backs in the league.

Proof

Reaction score
Yea I think it’s a great idea to franchise him paying him $12 million in 2023 only to watch his price go up for 2024.

Almost as genius as franchising Dak in 2020 as opposed to signing him to a deal around where Wentz and Goff signed

difference being you want a qb long term, you dont want an rb long term. also far easier to draft a rb's replacement so a one yr bridge vs losing him outright makes sense (to me)

Proof

Reaction score
The way we use him he is but so was DeMarco Murray back in 2014 and the Cowboys moved on from him. It’s going to come down to money.

they intentionally ran demarco into the ground and placed more credit with the o-line. neither is the case here

OGCowboy

Reaction score
At some point Pollard will end up at KC or 49ers and win a super bowl
Bank it

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
they intentionally ran demarco into the ground and placed more credit with the o-line. neither is the case here

The case here is Pollard gets fewer carries than Zeke, although they both got 15 against Minnesota. It’s going to come down to how much money are the Cowboys going to want to pay a back that’s going to be splitting carries with another back. Those who think the Cowboys will go full-time with Pollard as an every down back will be wrong.

Proof

Reaction score
The case here is Pollard gets fewer carries than Zeke, although they both got 15 against Minnesota. It’s going to come down to how much money are the Cowboys going to want to pay a back that’s going to be splitting carries with another back. Those who think the Cowboys will go full-time with Pollard as an every down back will be wrong.

I'm just talking about comparison to the demarco situation. I don't pretend to know what the front office is going to do. But Jerry falls in love with splashy plays, and pollard provides them.

rambo2

Reaction score
No team goes full-time with any back. That is impossible.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Offer him a 4 year, $28M, fully guaranteed contract with all the money up front as a signing bonus.

rambo2

Reaction score
I'm just talking about comparison to the demarco situation. I don't pretend to know what the front office is going to do. But Jerry falls in love with splashy plays, and pollard provides them.
You can pretty much bank on them taking advantage of the franchise tag to keep Pollard.