Cowboys franchise Pollard next season?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yea I think it’s a great idea to franchise him paying him $12 million in 2023 only to watch his price go up for 2024.

Almost as genius as franchising Dak in 2020 as opposed to signing him to a deal around where Wentz and Goff signed

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Yea I think it’s a great idea to franchise him paying him $12 million in 2023 only to watch his price go up for 2024.

Almost as genius as franchising Dak in 2020 as opposed to signing him to a deal around where Wentz and Goff signed

Dak was offered a 5-year $175M contract before he was franchised in 2020....but Dak and his agent refused the deal as they demanded a 4-year deal only......so don't blame Jerry on that one bur rather Dak's selfishness.

Daillest88

Reaction score
We just franchised schuktz lol. Pollard doesn’t have the wear and tear of these other running backs. He’s a complete weapon he’s worth the 12 million tags next year. He averages like 6ypc and just a damn monster with the ball in his hands.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Dak was offered a 5-year $175M contract before he was franchised in 2020....but Dak and his agent refused the deal as they demanded a 4-year deal only......so don't blame Jerry on that one bur rather Dak's selfishness.

I blame Jerry because had they offered him that deal *before* his played out the final year of his rookie deal for $2 million he probably accepts it

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Just watched a TV show with Ryan Clark and Rex Ryan (former head coach) talk about how Pollard would change how they would play their defense....

Know who wasn't mentioned? Dalton Shultz...

Pay the man his money.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I blame Jerry because had they offered him that deal *before* his played out the final year of his rookie deal for $2 million he probably accepts it

He offered him the deal early in the 2019 season before his rookie deal expired.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No way I tag Pollard. That’s too much for any RB.
I’d try 7-8 million tops.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No. Of all the NFL positions, RB is the most fungible. You can easily find a replacement in rounds 2-5.

When you consider the Cowboys may not release Zeke, it makes absolutely no sense tying that much of the salary cap in two RB. Draft a replacement and spend the money resigning Steele or McGovern.

Xeven

Reaction score
Pollard can get 10 somewhere from a team with SB aspirations. Imagine the Bills with Pollard?

rambo2

Reaction score
No. Of all the NFL positions, RB is the most fungible. You can easily find a replacement in rounds 2-5.

When you consider the Cowboys may not release Zeke, it makes absolutely no sense tying that much of the salary cap in two RB. Draft a replacement and spend the money resigning Steele or McGovern.
Replacements for a guy like Pollard don't happen. They have a complete team and have the money to be able to tag Pollard.

rambo2

Reaction score
While a very small sample size, Malik Davis has shown he might be able to fill that Zeke role (if not then draft a 3rd or 4th round RB next season) and while Zeke WAS a great rb for Dallas in his early years, his time has come and gone evident by Pollard's emergence this season.

After this season try and trade Zeke to get the best offer you can get while either franchise tagging Pollard or working out a new deal with him. Zeke's cap hit next season is $16.7M with $11.8M in dead money so if traded Dallas has a $5M savings.
Why would a team want to trade For Zeke?

rambo2

Reaction score
We have to pay a lot of players (Micah, Diggs), Pollard is going to get an insane amount of money from a team like the Jaguars that we won't be able to match.
That is why they should tag him. In fact it probably would be a good idea to tag him twice and then let him go. That way you get 2 more years out of him.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think I read the tag for RBs is around $12 million.

I think of Tony as just a notch below Deebo Samuel...and if you look at Samuel's contract, $12m per would be a bargain. The Cowboys may have to do that if they want to keep him next season. People around her, me included, thought $8m per would be fair, but that would be low balling Tony. I think he is becoming the most valuable offensive weapon Dallas has now. A rookie back or restructured Zeke is not gonna replace that. In other words, if the franchise tag is around $12m...pay the man. But try to negotiate a fair 3 or 4 year deal also.

rambo2

Reaction score

They could tag him a 2nd time in 2024 and he should be about done by then.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I would rather get the deal done now if at all. Pollard's value should be somewhat lessened due to the Cowboys not featuring him heavily till this season. If you give him another season his value could go up even more. Hopefully Zeke will agree to a paycut to keep both around.

IMO, franchise money is already cheaper than free agent money for him. Maybe even 2nd year franchise money. And neither requires us to guarantee more than a year. After two tags he's 28 year old RB.

I've always been a fan of Pollard, but I'm not a fan of long term contracts for RBs. They just fall off a cliff too quickly.