Cowboys Free Agency: Low-Cost Answer at RB in Zack Moss

Big_D

Reaction score
Why the need to draft a RB that's not an every down back then? Could have just picked up an UDFA instead

It goes right back to the stupidity of a FO that drafted him as a novelty because of his father.....style over substance
How many every down backs are sitting there in the 5th or later? Not many at all.

rambo2

Reaction score
Why the need to draft a RB that's not an every down back then? Could have just picked up an UDFA instead

It goes right back to the stupidity of a FO that drafted him as a novelty because of his father.....style over substance
They didn't draft him because of his father. They drafted him because they missed out on backs earlier in the draft and he waa the highest player on their board when they took him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Well the idea of finding a superstar anywhere in the draft is far fetched cause it rarely happens. And what do you think that workload is going to look like when they fail miserably every year to use multiple backs and be productive. We’ve seen plenty of RBs come through here and we’re still waiting.
It’s not the 90s. We’ll be fine.

Run blocking has to improve. Stop worrying about the RB.

Just get some fresh legs and run them for a few years and find another.

Big_D

Reaction score
It’s not the 90s. We’ll be fine.

Run blocking has to improve. Stop worrying about the RB.

Just get some fresh legs and run them for a few years and find another.
No.. it’s 30 years later and I’m still waiting for that to work. The idea of ‘any RB will do the trick’ is just wishful thinking. Should’ve just stuck it out with a fresh legged Ronald Jones. Doesn’t get much fresher than Rico Dowdle. This idea that a rookie anywhere in the draft will come in and take the pressure off of Prescott? I’m just not seeing it at all.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No.. it’s 30 years later and I’m still waiting for that to work. The idea of ‘any RB will do the trick’ is just wishful thinking. Should’ve just stuck it out with a fresh legged Ronald Jones. Doesn’t get much fresher than Rico Dowdle. This idea that a rookie anywhere in the draft will come in and take the pressure off of Prescott? I’m just not seeing it at all.
Welp look around the league is all I can tell you.

Big_D

Reaction score
Welp look around the league is all I can tell you.
So patriots and chiefs have the blueprint? Cause I don’t really see too many other examples. Even the niners paid their RB.

75boyz

Reaction score
I like him but the run game coaching needs serious re-calibration from their epic fail last year at the coaching level.

The one guy here says it's gotta be a first round RB or they're a scrub, so there's that too I guess.

J12B

Reaction score
One vet RB I can get behind signing is Moss. 4 years in the league he is only 27 and started a bunch of games. Would cost less than half as much as the big names. Add a day 2 draft pick to him and the RB position is set.

Cowboys Free Agency: Low-Cost Answer at RB in Zack Moss​

One of the positions the Dallas Cowboys will be addressing this offseason is running back. With Tony Pollard and Rico Dowdle expected to hit the open market, America's Team has been linked to some big name free agent replacements.
Timm Hamm
3/3/24

FRISCO - One of the positions the Dallas Cowboys will be addressing this offseason is running back. With Tony Pollard and Rico Dowdle expected to hit the open market, America's Team has been linked to some big name free agent replacements.

Derrick Henry, Josh Jacobs, Austin Eckeler and Saquon Barkley have all been linked to the Cowboys at some point.

But those players - as effective as they could be - come at tremendous cost. The Cowboys might need to shop for more of a bargain in their current salary cap situation. One possible answer could be Indianapolis Colts ball carrier Zack Moss.

Moss is projected by Spotrac to sign for two years and $9.2 million. An absolute bargain price compared to Henry, who is expected to get more than double that for a one-year deal at $10.3 million, and Barkley, who Spotrac predicts will sign somewhere for three years and $29.9 million.

If the Cowboys are looking to save some money at running back. Moss could be a good low-cost signing.

More: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ing-back-zack-moss-tony-pollard-draft-combine

zack-moss.jpg
Man talk about having low expectations.

Moss is the most average back in the league.

kskboys

Reaction score
How many every down backs are sitting there in the 5th or later? Not many at all.
You can move that up to the 4th or later.

Looked last season, and 26 of 32 starting RB's came from rounds 1-3.

Finding a quality RB in the 3rd is hard enough, after that it's a dart throw. People started repeating this silly little mantra that you can find starting RB's up and down the draft easily. It's not even remotely true. First of all, you can find starters at any position in any round of the draft. However, it gets harder and harder the further along you get. Of those 26, 20 of them came in rounds 1 and 2. Which is where you get most starters.

kskboys

Reaction score
They didn't draft him because of his father. They drafted him because they missed out on backs earlier in the draft and he waa the highest player on their board when they took him.
Highest player on their board? Ummmmm, no.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
One vet RB I can get behind signing is Moss. 4 years in the league he is only 27 and started a bunch of games. Would cost less than half as much as the big names. Add a day 2 draft pick to him and the RB position is set.

Cowboys Free Agency: Low-Cost Answer at RB in Zack Moss​

One of the positions the Dallas Cowboys will be addressing this offseason is running back. With Tony Pollard and Rico Dowdle expected to hit the open market, America's Team has been linked to some big name free agent replacements.
Timm Hamm
3/3/24

FRISCO - One of the positions the Dallas Cowboys will be addressing this offseason is running back. With Tony Pollard and Rico Dowdle expected to hit the open market, America's Team has been linked to some big name free agent replacements.

Derrick Henry, Josh Jacobs, Austin Eckeler and Saquon Barkley have all been linked to the Cowboys at some point.

But those players - as effective as they could be - come at tremendous cost. The Cowboys might need to shop for more of a bargain in their current salary cap situation. One possible answer could be Indianapolis Colts ball carrier Zack Moss.

Moss is projected by Spotrac to sign for two years and $9.2 million. An absolute bargain price compared to Henry, who is expected to get more than double that for a one-year deal at $10.3 million, and Barkley, who Spotrac predicts will sign somewhere for three years and $29.9 million.

If the Cowboys are looking to save some money at running back. Moss could be a good low-cost signing.

More: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ing-back-zack-moss-tony-pollard-draft-combine

zack-moss.jpg
Exactly the guy I’d look at and look to add a back in the 3rd at the earliest.

SHAMSzy

Reaction score
Moss would be a good pickup, he can run hard yards which we missed last season. We would need to sign another back though.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

We can house clean our entire RB situation with the right draft pick and FA acquisitions, and it won't cost us dead cap.
We can argue till the cows come home about other areas on this roster that carry significant contractual limits as far as flexibility, but the RB room is not one of them.