Cowboys Free Agency: Low-Cost Answer at RB in Zack Moss

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
How many every down backs are sitting there in the 5th or later? Not many at all.
This franchise has to have a starting RB than can pick up blocking assignments, Zeek was chased out prematurely.
Zeke was Daks last line of defense, bodyguard if you will.

blueblood70

Reaction score
One vet RB I can get behind signing is Moss. 4 years in the league he is only 27 and started a bunch of games. Would cost less than half as much as the big names. Add a day 2 draft pick to him and the RB position is set.

Cowboys Free Agency: Low-Cost Answer at RB in Zack Moss​

One of the positions the Dallas Cowboys will be addressing this offseason is running back. With Tony Pollard and Rico Dowdle expected to hit the open market, America's Team has been linked to some big name free agent replacements.
Timm Hamm
3/3/24

FRISCO - One of the positions the Dallas Cowboys will be addressing this offseason is running back. With Tony Pollard and Rico Dowdle expected to hit the open market, America's Team has been linked to some big name free agent replacements.

Derrick Henry, Josh Jacobs, Austin Eckeler and Saquon Barkley have all been linked to the Cowboys at some point.

But those players - as effective as they could be - come at tremendous cost. The Cowboys might need to shop for more of a bargain in their current salary cap situation. One possible answer could be Indianapolis Colts ball carrier Zack Moss.

Moss is projected by Spotrac to sign for two years and $9.2 million. An absolute bargain price compared to Henry, who is expected to get more than double that for a one-year deal at $10.3 million, and Barkley, who Spotrac predicts will sign somewhere for three years and $29.9 million.

If the Cowboys are looking to save some money at running back. Moss could be a good low-cost signing.

More: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ing-back-zack-moss-tony-pollard-draft-combine

zack-moss.jpg
look I don't mind them bringing a mid level veteran in like Moss or someone like him like deonte foreman type but they definitely still need in the second or third round to get a stud running back in the draft

I mean I prefer they get rid of Pollard Rico and malik keep hunter and DV use Vaugn as true scatback in the old role TP had early in his career.. make sure the blocking schemes utile a FB more, have dak under center more, and then you have a young buck and mid-level ready to go..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One vet RB I can get behind signing is Moss. 4 years in the league he is only 27 and started a bunch of games. Would cost less than half as much as the big names. Add a day 2 draft pick to him and the RB position is set.

Cowboys Free Agency: Low-Cost Answer at RB in Zack Moss​

One of the positions the Dallas Cowboys will be addressing this offseason is running back. With Tony Pollard and Rico Dowdle expected to hit the open market, America's Team has been linked to some big name free agent replacements.
Timm Hamm
3/3/24

FRISCO - One of the positions the Dallas Cowboys will be addressing this offseason is running back. With Tony Pollard and Rico Dowdle expected to hit the open market, America's Team has been linked to some big name free agent replacements.

Derrick Henry, Josh Jacobs, Austin Eckeler and Saquon Barkley have all been linked to the Cowboys at some point.

But those players - as effective as they could be - come at tremendous cost. The Cowboys might need to shop for more of a bargain in their current salary cap situation. One possible answer could be Indianapolis Colts ball carrier Zack Moss.

Moss is projected by Spotrac to sign for two years and $9.2 million. An absolute bargain price compared to Henry, who is expected to get more than double that for a one-year deal at $10.3 million, and Barkley, who Spotrac predicts will sign somewhere for three years and $29.9 million.

If the Cowboys are looking to save some money at running back. Moss could be a good low-cost signing.

More: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ing-back-zack-moss-tony-pollard-draft-combine

zack-moss.jpg
The odd thing is that you could likely get the best free agent RB for about 10M when the best WR, DT, etc. would be 30M.

In theory, it makes sense to sign the lower cost positions in free agency and draft the expensive positions.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Clearly the Cowboys need to radically change their run blocking scheme. That alone will make a huge impact. The advantage of signing Moss is he wouldn't require a huge investment.
Yeah but we need an investment there. I'd rather just go strictly with a rookie than waste money on Moss.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How's our 6th rounder Vaughn developing? Guy can't even get on the field with the sad RB Corp we have here.

I'd rather trust players that have done well for other organizations before " our guys".
Well I'm not talking about 6th rounders. If the Cowboys had drafted Bijan Robinson or Acheon we wouldn't have been hurting. Vaughn is an undersized at BEST speciality back. And he may not even be that. His size limits him. I'm not advising taking a guy like that early.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't have an issue signing a RB in the $4MM price range. As much as I believe drafting RBs is the better way to go, I do not want to spend 2 of 7 draft picks RBs.

And if Jerry goes ahead and springs for one of the top RB at $10MM or more while not signing a quality DT, I will be super ticked off. I might even write a harshly worded letter!

Big_D

Reaction score
The odd thing is that you could likely get the best free agent RB for about 10M when the best WR, DT, etc. would be 30M.

In theory, it makes sense to sign the lower cost positions in free agency and draft the expensive positions.
I was thinking this exact thing last week. Draft according to pay scale. Of course it’s not that cut and dry. But a good philosophy to stick to more often than not.

Big_D

Reaction score
Everyone has their own idea of what’s best at RB so I look forward to seeing which route this team goes. Should definitely be interesting!

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I don’t see how paying a back 3-4 million is a waste as long as it’s accompanied by drafting a back as well. Sure, running backs from the draft can be and are more frequently now more than ever plug and play guys but it’s not always a guarantee which is why the draft is a crap shoot. If they draft a young guy and he stinks or is slow to adjust they go into the year with zero insurance.

Pay a vet 2,3,4 million per and go into the year with a dual back plan and if one wins in camp then great. If not you addressed the position and put absolutely peanuts into as far as how the dollars correlate to the cap

quickccc

Reaction score
What has Zack Moss done that he needs to be considered as a very key FA difference maker ?

is he a pro bowler ? ... An exceptional back
is he one that opposing teams scheme vs and needs to game plan for ?

He's just another serviceable RB .. JAG

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
What has Zack Moss done that he needs to be considered as a very key FA difference maker ?

is he a pro bowler ? ... An exceptional back
is he one that opposing teams scheme vs and needs to game plan for ?

He's just another serviceable RB .. JAG
I think the point is more the cowboys can sign a veteran rb like a moss to be a very serviceable, solid player and part of a running back tandem. We don’t need him to be a superstar or star player. It doesn’t even have to be moss, his price range was an example.

You use him along with a rookie back who is hopefully the future and then moss or whom ever can be a bridge. Would be a fine signing

HanD

Reaction score
Moss was really productive when Taylor was out last year. He'd be a solid piece to enter the season as a rbbc with a rookie.