Cowboys had a deal to move back into third round for another lineman, Stephen Jones says

speedkilz88

Reaction score
They felt like they had to get Lawrence. Throwing away future picks would have been sickening, we are going to need them when we trade our whole draft for a QB.

They probably had a 2nd round grade on Trai and thought he would start over Leary. Next years draft is expected to be a weak draft. So why not get your 2nd round draft pick and starter a year early.

Kaiser

Reaction score
They probably had a 2nd round grade on Trai and thought he would start over Leary. Next years draft is expected to be a weak draft. So why not get your 2nd round draft pick and starter a year early.

I'm a little mixed on Turner but Broaddus in so many words said on Twitter today that the trade was next year's #2 for Turner.

Zordon

Reaction score
so turner and jernigan vs. lawrence is the new cz debate? :)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree. It would have been a terrible move.

So you draft a guard this year instead of next? How is that a terrible move? Unless next year you find someone of Trai's potential in the 3rd round.....but that's no sure bet. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. In my mind, there's no difference in when you do it. You get a guard this year with your 3rd rounder or next year with your 3rd rounder. Or potentially 2nd rounder.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you draft a guard this year instead of next? How is that a terrible move? Unless next year you find someone of Trai's potential in the 3rd round.....but that's no sure bet. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. In my mind, there's no difference in when you do it. You get a guard this year with your 3rd rounder or next year with your 3rd rounder. Or potentially 2nd rounder.

Because you can find a better player in round 2 next year than you can late in round 3 this year.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Would've liked to have landed Trai Turner, but not for a future 2nd.. Glad it fell through.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
so turner and jernigan vs. lawrence is the new cz debate? :)

The Cowboys were going to come out of this draft with Lawrence one way or another. So maybe the debate is Martin vs. Jernigan, Lawrence and another draft pick.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score

Last year, the Cowboys had 2nd round grades on Flucker, Pugh and Frederick. All three were selected in the first round and started for their respective teams. If the Cowboys had a 2nd round grade on Turner, they felt he was comparable to these three players.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The Cowboys were going to come out of this draft with Lawrence one way or another. So maybe the debate is Martin vs. Jernigan, Lawrence and another draft pick.

With hindsight they could have traded down (probably had to drop down to Cleveland for only a 3rd) get Lawrence, Jernigan, Turner, and another player like Cassius Marsh. Or maybe the injured Brandon Thomas. I liked that WR Martavius Bryant that went a pick ahead of Hutchens.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
With hindsight they could have traded down (probably had to drop down to Cleveland for only a 3rd) get Lawrence, Jernigan, Turner, and another player like Cassius Marsh. Or maybe the injured Brandon Thomas. I liked that WR Martavius Bryant that went a pick ahead of Hutchens.

People would have complained that they didn't get value in the trade down, but it could have yielded them some really good talent in the selections.

Maxmadden

Reaction score

Washington played Atlanta against Dallas. Atlanta was offering a 2nd and 4th so we had to offer our 3rd.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Washington played Atlanta against Dallas. Atlanta was offering a 2nd and 4th so we had to offer our 3rd.

We were discussing trading down with the Martin pick and getting Lawrence in the later first instead.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah but they'll probably have a first round grade on the player they take in the 2nd next year.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't see the need for another G although it would be nice to upgrade. Always is.

RS12

Reaction score
maybe them going after trai means they like martin at RT or at least want to give him a shot there.

I believe it means the following: Free likely done here after this year. Berny is a career back up, and Leary has the knees of an AARP member.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because you can find a better player in round 2 next year than you can late in round 3 this year.

That's not entirely true. This year was a very deep draft and next year is anticipated to be a very weak one. Not to mention any other year Trai would've been atleast a 2nd rounder but he fell. I personally would risk the 2nd rounder to get a guard in here NOW as a opposed to a year later.

No other team's fanbase is as determined to be angry at their team as this one.

Its a shame its gotten this far but I guess I can't blame them. We've been through a lot. But we shouldn't escape reality.