Twitter: Cowboys have expressed interest in trading for RB Duke Johnson

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, has anybody other then Slatter, reported that the Cowboys have interest in DJ? I mean, to me this just doesn't make a lot of sense on a lot of fronts. Slatter is really nothing more then a talk show host so I guess I'm skeptical that he would know the dealings of the Cowboys. I mean, he could be right but this could also just be a way for him to try and puff his segment.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Just for some background context, ABQ is the same guy that claimed the Durant/Warriors pairing would never work out because “nobody will be willing to take less shots.”

His thoughts on Zeke and Duke (or name your RB) are just a repackaged version of that oversimplified bunk theory.

Zeke was absolutely worn down by seasons end and was calling to be taken off the field himself during the last quarter of the season and understandably so.

If this team has any designs on making a deep playoff run, Zeke is going to be leading the charge. The idea is to have a backup that can competently shoulder some of the load over the course of the season to keep him fresh.

This notion of “who’s gonna tell Zeke” is comedy.

Yawn.....

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Why not just draft a 3rd down back in the 4th, 5th or 6th round? They are available every year, cost you little in draft capital, and cost very little for 4 years against the cap.....

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score

Johnson would be a nice fit in the Eagles' offense, also an upgrade over what Sproles was giving. Johnson' real appeal is as a receiver out of the backfield. That said, he'll be wearing green come August.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

That was a question. I'm asking. Because I'm not familiar with his weaknesses. Seems ideal as a backup. He does more than one thing well. That seems to be the definition of a all around back lol. Now can he take 30 carries a game? Probably not but I don't want him to.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why not just draft a 3rd down back in the 4th, 5th or 6th round? They are available every year, cost you little in draft capital, and cost very little for 4 years against the cap.....

Johnson's contract isn't bad. And the whole "Just draft a guy" is starting to become a bit overstated. The best backs in this league right now were more than likely 1st or 2nd round picks. This notion you can just find a guy in the 4th or 5th round? I don't think its nearly as easy as you guys make it sound.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That was a question. I'm asking. Because I'm not familiar with his weaknesses. Seems ideal as a backup. He does more than one thing well. That seems to be the definition of a all around back lol. Now can he take 30 carries a game? Probably not but I don't want him to.

None of us want that because that means that something has happened to Zeke but never the less, that is a very real possibility. If Zeke goes down, we are screwed because the team doesn't seem to believe that Smith is the answer. I think you gotta plan for that and that means you gotta have a back that can give you 30 carries over a several game stretch.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Johnson's contract isn't bad. And the whole "Just draft a guy" is starting to become a bit overstated. The best backs in this league right now were more than likely 1st or 2nd round picks. This notion you can just find a guy in the 4th or 5th round? I don't think its nearly as easy as you guys make it sound.
The best backs in the league are not 3rd down change of pace backs. 3rd down backs can be found in the mid rounds every year.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
How useful is he *with* Zeke on the field? I want the guy Austin was supposed to be - jet sweep and receiving threat from the slot that will hurt you if you press man him.

Johnson seems like much more of a runner, much less of a downfield threat.
Johnson has caught intermediate stuff and short stuff in the flats and taken them for big YAC. Think of Dunbar's best plays with Romo, and James White and his predecessors in New England.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Well, the top 4 rushers in the league last year were but Chris Carson the 5th leading rusher, was a 7th round pick. Phillip Lindsay, 9th leading rusher was undrafted.

James Conner, Lamar Miller, Jordan Howard, all lower round picks or undrafted guys. The truth is that the notion that you can get a quality back in the 4th or 5th is fueled by the fact that it is true. You actually can.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well, the top 4 rushers in the league last year were but Chris Carson the 5th leading rusher, was a 7th round pick. Phillip Lindsay, 9th leading rusher was undrafted.

James Conner, Lamar Miller, Jordan Howard, all lower round picks or undrafted guys. The truth is that the notion that you can get a quality back in the 4th or 5th is fueled by the fact that it is true. You actually can.
Understandably so but there is a big difference between Jordan Howard and Zeke Elliot or Jordan Howard and Todd Gurley or Jordan Howard and Saquon Barkley.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
None of us want that because that means that something has happened to Zeke but never the less, that is a very real possibility. If Zeke goes down, we are screwed because the team doesn't seem to believe that Smith is the answer. I think you gotta plan for that and that means you gotta have a back that can give you 30 carries over a several game stretch.
Yeah but if you are looking for a 30 carry back you are going to be searching for awhile. Do I want James Conner getting 30 carries a game? Or Alvin Kamara?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, has anybody other then Slatter, reported that the Cowboys have interest in DJ? I mean, to me this just doesn't make a lot of sense on a lot of fronts. Slatter is really nothing more then a talk show host so I guess I'm skeptical that he would know the dealings of the Cowboys. I mean, he could be right but this could also just be a way for him to try and puff his segment.

TRANSLATION: “I don’t like the information presented so I’ll criticize the source.”

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Understandably so but there is a big difference between Jordan Howard and Zeke Elliot or Jordan Howard and Todd Gurley or Jordan Howard and Saquon Barkley.

There is also a big difference between Zeke and Duke Johnson, what the point here? I mean, nobody is saying we need another Zeke, what is being discussed here is a capable back up who can A) give you games if the focal point of your entire offense goes down and B) give you leverage in any negotiation with Zeke.

I mean, the problem that most people have with this idea of signing a player like Johnson is that we've seen this before and the visions of implementing the RBs in the passing game never materialize. We heard it with Zeke and while we have gotten better at using him in the passing game, we still don't use him to his full potential there. We signed a guy last year and we haven't used him. We've signed guys in the past and never really used them much. But a guy who can step in and save a season for you if Zeke goes down, that's a different story and that has value. That's the problem that many of us see in this idea.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
TRANSLATION: “I don’t like the information presented so I’ll criticize the source.”

So does this mean that you are offering to be the translator for the board then? I hope not, what is your definition of criticize? I have not criticized the source.

You are looking for an argument. Why don't you go find somebody who cares to associate with you, at all, and try this with them. I don't care to discuss with you because I know who and what you are. Why can't you just accept that and move on? All you want to do is drag this thread down to a stupid 5 year old argument until you run everybody off. I don't want that. I would like to see this discussion continue on.

JayFord

Reaction score
By expressing interest what do they mean?

We’ll trade you chik fil A coupons

Or

A Wendy’s 4 for 4

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah but if you are looking for a 30 carry back you are going to be searching for awhile. Do I want James Conner getting 30 carries a game? Or Alvin Kamara?

Why do you say that? There are lot of backs who could give you 30 carries over a period of games. They may not be able to do that over an entire season but over a stretch of 5 games, they are not impossible to find. I mean, lets face it, if we lost Zeke for the entire year early on, then we would probably be done for the year. But lets say you lose him with 6 games to go and you are battling for the division, that would suck if your offense tanked. That's really what I think you look for, is that guy.