Cowboys Have Scouts Watching Simms

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
silverbear;2187324 said:
"Chrissy"??

I thought we'd laid that silly crapola to rest when the guy played the second half of a game with a freakin' ruptured spleen...

I'd love to see what YOU'D do in that situation, tough guy... you'd probably be over on the sidelines, curled up on a gurney in the fetal position, demanding morphine...

Maybe you did, but I've called him that since his days at UT when they should have played Applewhite over him and it aint gonna stop any time soon!

NewJCowboy

Reaction score
I don't understand all of this interest in Chris Simms. He has very little playing experience. The last time I saw him play in a real NFL game, he played like garbage. Unless that has changed, I think that we should just stay with Brad Johnson. At least Brad has experience that can get you through a game or two.

Aven8

Reaction score
A 5th for Simms???? Are you crazy!!!! This guy sucks! I wouldn't trade Bobby Carpenter's Jock strap for him!

Why is everyone so clouded in memory to think that he has any talent??? He sucked at TX and he has sucked in Tampa. His throws always are going down (the nose of the ball), he has NO pocket awareness, and he's a loser!!! If Romo goes down we are done anyway! Culpepper should be who we look at. He isn't getting any offers so he can't complain about being the starter!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I would rather have Quincy backing up, then Simms!!!!!

Reaction score
If it costs only a 5th or less for Simms then why not, but I have the feeling that for a decent young qb they would be looking for a 3rd or 4th. If that's the case and if Brad is done then why not look at someone like Culpepper as a capable backup

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Joe Rod;2187344 said:
Maybe you did, but I've called him that since his days at UT when they should have played Applewhite over him and it aint gonna stop any time soon!

Which demonstrates the depth of your football knowledge...

You see ol' Major in the NFL, do ya??

silverbear

Reaction score
Aven8;2187392 said:
A 5th for Simms???? Are you crazy!!!! This guy sucks! I wouldn't trade Bobby Carpenter's Jock strap for him!

I understand, Carp's jock strap would undoubtedly be one of your most prized possessions...

Why is everyone so clouded in memory to think that he has any talent??? He sucked at TX

A 26-6 record suggests otherwise... that's the 3rd best in school history, behind Vince Young and Bobby Layne... it's better than Major's 22-8 record...

As for him "sucking" at Tampa Bay, here's what Wikipedia has to say on the subject:

Simms has performed better than expected and has a knack for late-game heroics. He led fourth-quarter charges against fellow division rival Atlanta twice, as well as the Washington Commanders. The Commander game was his best performance of the year as Simms threw for 3 scores as the Buccaneers won 36-35 in a remarkable game. Simms had a much more impressive performance in the rematch against Carolina on the road. The two losses in this stretch were against the defending Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots, and the Chicago Bears, who were ranked #1 in the league in total defense, and in both of these games, Simms did not throw any interceptions, and was sacked a combined 11 times. He even led Tampa Bay to another fourth-quarter comeback against the Bears but a 29-yard field goal attempt floated wide right giving the Bears a 13-10 victory.[8]

Simms led the Buccaneers to their first playoff berth since their Super Bowl victory in the 2002 season. In the rematch vs. the Commanders Simms led Tampa Bay back again from a 17-3 halftime deficit. With the score at 17-10 late in the fourth quarter, Simms hit Edell Shepherd on an apparent 35-yard TD strike. However, Shepherd failed to maintain possession as he hit the ground. Tampa Bay lost 17-10 in a game where Washington gained only 120 yards of offense, the lowest total for a playoff winner in NFL history.[9]

So, he had at least one streak where he played some very solid football, starting for a playoff team...

Angus

Reaction score
Cowboys had scout at Bucs-Dolphins game

12:29 PM Mon, Aug 11, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips
The St. Petersburg Times story about Chris Simms' solid performance in Tampa Bay's preseason opener mentioned that the Cowboys had a scout in the press box for the game.
The Bucs are still holding on to hope that they'll be able to get a draft pick for Simms. The Cowboys have made it clear that they don't plan to give up a pick.
Could things change? Perhaps. Simms looked pretty good (8-10, 60 yards) against a bunch of guys that will be unemployed in a few weeks. Brad Johnson didn't look good against the Chargers.
But it should also be noted that the Bucs' opponent that night was the Dolphins, who are expected to release either veteran Josh McCown or 2007 second-rounder John Beck. Odds are the Cowboys will still find a QB off the waiver wire instead of trading for one.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Good.

Cowboys scout Chris Simms.

I scout Misty May.

We are all winners.

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
silverbear;2187417 said:
Which demonstrates the depth of your football knowledge...

You see ol' Major in the NFL, do ya??

Didn't say Major should be in the NFL, but he was a better leader than Mr. Softy Chrissy Simms and made the best of his abilities. My statement was more of an observation of what Simms does not bring to the table. Simms has an NFL caliber arm, but the only player he could make better on this team is Roy Williams just from all the laughs of those Texas/OU days.

There is a reason that John Gruden would prefer to keep old man Garcia and career back-up Griese without this "prized QB" waiting in the wings. It's because he aint better than Griese and that is saying something.

silverbear

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2187664 said:
Didn't say Major should be in the NFL, but he was a better leader than Mr. Softy Chrissy Simms and made the best of his abilities.

And yet, Chris had a better record with the Horns than Major did...

There is a reason that John Gruden would prefer to keep old man Garcia and career back-up Griese without this "prized QB" waiting in the wings. It's because he aint better than Griese and that is saying something.

Or perhaps Gruden doesn't have the first flippin' clue what a good QB looks like... this is why he has like 11 QBs on the roster, and was tryin' real hard to get old man Favre...

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
silverbear;2188046 said:
And yet, Chris had a better record with the Horns than Major did...

That could have a lot to do with Nebraska and Colorado becoming punching bags and the demise of that conference in general after the 90's, plus Texas having enough talent that they were Preseason favorites to win the National Championship the year that Applewhite was benched in favor of Simms. I suppose you are not a Longhorn fan so I will fill you in.

Let's revisit 2001. Chris Simms takes a very talented team that was a preseason favorite to win the National Championship and tanks in his two biggest games of the year. Against Oklahoma, Big Game Chrissy promptly turned in one of his many great performances to the tune of 4 interceptions. Come the Big Twelve Championship Game against a Colorado team that they demolished during the regular season, with Texas still in the National Championship picture, Simms stinks it up yet again with another four pickles in roughly one full half of football. Oh, I forgot that Applewhite came in for an injured Simms in that game to rally the Longhorns from nineteen down to fall just short by two points. Applewhite then won the Bowl Game that year against Washington in a shoot-out. Applewhite did not have the physical attributes as Simms or the Pedigree, but he was a leader and his teammates would walk through Walls for him.

silverbear;2188046 said:
Or perhaps Gruden doesn't have the first flippin' clue what a good QB looks like... this is why he has like 11 QBs on the roster, and was tryin' real hard to get old man Favre...

Or perhaps he would rather have those eleven retreads than Simms for a reason, such as Simms will never be a starting caliber QB. Let's take a look here by year:

2004 - 2nd year in the league. Simms played in five game and registered a 64.1 QB rating. Not very impressive.

2005 - QB rating of 81.4. He had two games that year where he was anything more than a JAG and people just hang their hats on that like he was a great QB that season. Oddly enough, that season was the story of Chris Simms career; just enough to make you think he's got something but he always has that trainwreck of a game waiting in the wings.

2006 - Trainwreck time! He did actually play a few games before that whole spleen thing. His first two games he got a QB rating of 47.1 and 30.5. In both losses he had no touchdowns against three interceptions. He actually played better during the Spleen game with one TD vs. one pick.

That gives Simms a career to date rating of 71.2. Tavaris Jackson had a QB rating of 70.8 last year, almost identical, and most people thought he stunk. The fact is that Simms was stinking it up prior to that spleen thing and Gruden was not happy about it. Hello career back-up at best.

silverbear

Reaction score
Joe Rod;2188379 said:
That could have a lot to do with Nebraska and Colorado becoming punching bags and the demise of that conference in general after the 90's, plus Texas having enough talent that they were Preseason favorites to win the National Championship the year that Applewhite was benched in favor of Simms. I suppose you are not a Longhorn fan so I will fill you in.

Been a Horns fan longer than you have, son... I go back to Roger Staubach's Navy team goin' against them in the Cotton Bowl back in the early 60s... Dad was a 20 year Army man, so he was rooting against Navy... I was quite young, and got excited with him watching the game, and a Horns fan was born...

Then when I went to UTEP, our football teams were so bad we threw victory parties for winning the coin toss, and all of the guys in the dorm made real sure to either watch the Horns, or at least listen to their game on the radio...

So trust me, I'm quite familiar with you "fans" who refuse to recognize that the decision to play Simms over Applewhite was quite logical, even inevitable... Major had a ton of grit, and I remember him with fondness, but on his best day, he didn't have half the talent that Chris did...

Your criticisms of Simms' time in Buc-land is much the same thing, he worked for some rather bad teams, in particular teams that didn't have jack in the way of an offensive line... even so, he managed to get them into the playoffs...

You seem to expect a backup who's ready to step in and put up a 95 quarterback rating, and you're not gonna get that... such an animal doesn't exist... but Simms operating behind the Cowboys' offensive line, with that array of talent behind him, could do us a good, solid job...

I'd still be hoping that Romo never got hurt, but as backups go, you could do a LOT worse than Chris Simms... and none of your knee-jerk hatred from the Major-Chris days is gonna change my mind on that one...

Simms is reviled by some Horns fans for one reason, and one reason only-- the Sooners had better teams back then, and he couldn't manage to beat those better teams... and that's all some of you care about...

"Hello, career backup at best", you say... well, that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for right now-- somebody who can BACK UP Romo for a few years... our offense works because we keep defenses back by taking shots downfield, a dink and dunker like Brad Johnson is anathema to that approach... but Simms has the arm to hit those passes down the deep middle, and the chutzpah to take a shot at doing so...

Hoofbite

Reaction score
If Dallas brings in anyone capable of playing QB, it had better mean that BJ is gone.

I'll snap if the team carries 3 QBs.

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
silverbear;2188618 said:
Been a Horns fan longer than you have, son... I go back to Roger Staubach's Navy team goin' against them in the Cotton Bowl back in the early 60s... Dad was a 20 year Army man, so he was rooting against Navy... I was quite young, and got excited with him watching the game, and a Horns fan was born...

Then when I went to UTEP, our football teams were so bad we threw victory parties for winning the coin toss, and all of the guys in the dorm made real sure to either watch the Horns, or at least listen to their game on the radio...

So trust me, I'm quite familiar with you "fans" who refuse to recognize that the decision to play Simms over Applewhite was quite logical, even inevitable... Major had a ton of grit, and I remember him with fondness, but on his best day, he didn't have half the talent that Chris did...

Your criticisms of Simms' time in Buc-land is much the same thing, he worked for some rather bad teams, in particular teams that didn't have jack in the way of an offensive line... even so, he managed to get them into the playoffs...

You seem to expect a backup who's ready to step in and put up a 95 quarterback rating, and you're not gonna get that... such an animal doesn't exist... but Simms operating behind the Cowboys' offensive line, with that array of talent behind him, could do us a good, solid job...

I'd still be hoping that Romo never got hurt, but as backups go, you could do a LOT worse than Chris Simms... and none of your knee-jerk hatred from the Major-Chris days is gonna change my mind on that one...

Simms is reviled by some Horns fans for one reason, and one reason only-- the Sooners had better teams back then, and he couldn't manage to beat those better teams... and that's all some of you care about...

"Hello, career backup at best", you say... well, that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for right now-- somebody who can BACK UP Romo for a few years... our offense works because we keep defenses back by taking shots downfield, a dink and dunker like Brad Johnson is anathema to that approach... but Simms has the arm to hit those passes down the deep middle, and the chutzpah to take a shot at doing so...

I'm glad you have been a Horns fan for so long "Dad". We can agree to disagree on Simms vs. Applewhite because you aren't going to change my mind on the subject, period. My opinion is that you have been afflicted by the same clouded judgement that Mack was clouded by, drawn to the talent and ignoring what is between the ears, therefore costing the Longhorns a legit shot at the title when Simms folded under pressure on the big stage. And by saying that, I point towards Colorado, not Oklahoma. They throttled the Buffs earlier that year and were heavy, heavy favorites going into that championship game. Simms in turn gives the game to the Buffs and left Applewhite an impossible task of trying to come back out of a three score hole (which he almost did, let us remember). It wasn't just Oklahoma. Having said that, I doubt I will change your opinion anymore than you will change mine, so, I'll leave it alone going forward.

Here is something else you should know. Even though I have always been a diehard Cowboys fan, I have followed the Bucs since my early childhood (my Pops was stationed in Tampa and we stayed in Florida throughout my childhood). I got tickets to the Superbowl in 1991 courtesy of LeeRoy Selmon and I still have quite a few friends that are die-hard Bucs fans. Let me tell you, they are not surprised in the least to see Simms go, nor do they care. During that "spleen" year, Simms was playing like garbage throughout Camp and it carried over to the regular season to the tune of zero touchdowns vs. six picks in just two games. Gruden was not happy with his play but since he thought Simms play would improve from the prior season, not regress so drastically, he did not attempt to upgrade the position. You want to know why Gruden stockpiles QB? because he does not want to be in that position again.

That 2005 Bucs team went to the playoffs had nothing to do with Simms, it was because they had the number one Defense in the league that year!!!! They had the 14th best rushing attack and, get this, the 25th best passing attack. 25th best passing attack means that they leaned on the run and Defense, not on Simms. Look at the Bucs QBs: Simms had a nearly identcial QB rating to Brian Griese that year, the same guy that was dumped by the Bears and that Simms cannot currently beat out on the depth chart as the backup.

I said Simms could be a career back-up "at best". I don't know if I would really want him as my number two, but Johnson is just looking his age at this point. It is really a knock on Brad that I think Simms could be better.

I don't hate Simms by the way, I just think he's soft between the ears and injury prone. If Romo goes down for an extended period and Simms comes in, I can guarantee he will play lights out for a game or two then tank when teams adjust. It's just his make-up.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2186675 said:
I'd give in to the Bucs demand for a 4th, or a 5th, whatever it is, as we could easily recoup that pick w/ the surplus of picks that we'll have

we'll undoubtedly be trading for a 4th in the next draft anyways

Hmm, I like Simms but I doubt that he's going for a 4th or 5th - I can see a 7th or even a 6th but I wouldn't give up anything higher. He's no A.J. Feeley, you know.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
switzersflask;2187622 said:
HAHAHA... Chrissy Sissy could get reunited with Superman. Greatness.

How can you call a guy who played out a game with a ruptured spleen a sissy?

switzersflask

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2188804 said:

I'm not the one who made the name up. Ask Catch17 and give him my regards when you do.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
And by saying that, I point towards Colorado, not Oklahoma.

You pay your respects, mister! Those were Andre Gurode's Colorado Buffs that laid down that beating. That was a running game to behold. Mercy. :eek:

cowboys2233

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2188804 said:

Well, in all fairness, he didn't know he had ruptured his spleen. But he is still using that excuse to this day to explain his poor play.

Yes Chris, we know you ruptured your spleen. :bow: