Cowboys Have Scouts Watching Simms

Shady12

Reaction score
Simms ain't a sissy, and he's a good dude. I do think he tanked in some games at UT, and had his problems..but from what he's done in the NFL I'd take him as a backup in a heartbeat..and would be confident he'd be a guy who could win some games for us.

That said, I'll never forget going to the B12 Championship Game at Texas Stadium vs Colorado and..ouch..not a good game buddy. No doubt Simms had more physical talent than Applewhite, thus making it logical to play him and think he'd be better. The difference between them was, at UT at least, Applewhite was pretty clutch, Simms wasn't.

switzersflask

Reaction score
Shady12;2189549 said:
Simms ain't a sissy, and he's a good dude. I do think he tanked in some games at UT, and had his problems..but from what he's done in the NFL I'd take him as a backup in a heartbeat..and would be confident he'd be a guy who could win some games for us.

That said, I'll never forget going to the B12 Championship Game at Texas Stadium vs Colorado and..ouch..not a good game buddy. No doubt Simms had more physical talent than Applewhite, thus making it logical to play him and think he'd better. The difference between them was, at UT at least, Applewhite was pretty clutch, Simms wasn't.

Who's the dude that has Chrissy's name tatted on his ankle and same thing with the dude's name tatted on Chrissy's ankle? :ralph:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
switzersflask;2189524 said:
I'm not the one who made the name up. Ask Catch17 and give him my regards when you do.

So you use the name without thinking? Or without it having any reference to his performance?

Interesting.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Joe Rod;2188793 said:
That 2005 Bucs team went to the playoffs had nothing to do with Simms, it was because they had the number one Defense in the league that year!!!! They had the 14th best rushing attack and, get this, the 25th best passing attack. 25th best passing attack means that they leaned on the run and Defense, not on Simms. Look at the Bucs QBs: Simms had a nearly identcial QB rating to Brian Griese that year, the same guy that was dumped by the Bears and that Simms cannot currently beat out on the depth chart as the backup.

Already covered that one, quoting Wikipedia... since you apparently missed it, lemme refresh your memory:

Simms has performed better than expected and has a knack for late-game heroics. He led fourth-quarter charges against fellow division rival Atlanta twice, as well as the Washington Commanders. The Commander game was his best performance of the year as Simms threw for 3 scores as the Buccaneers won 36-35 in a remarkable game. Simms had a much more impressive performance in the rematch against Carolina on the road. The two losses in this stretch were against the defending Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots, and the Chicago Bears, who were ranked #1 in the league in total defense, and in both of these games, Simms did not throw any interceptions, and was sacked a combined 11 times. He even led Tampa Bay to another fourth-quarter comeback against the Bears but a 29-yard field goal attempt floated wide right giving the Bears a 13-10 victory.[8]

Simms led the Buccaneers to their first playoff berth since their Super Bowl victory in the 2002 season. In the rematch vs. the Commanders Simms led Tampa Bay back again from a 17-3 halftime deficit. With the score at 17-10 late in the fourth quarter, Simms hit Edell Shepherd on an apparent 35-yard TD strike. However, Shepherd failed to maintain possession as he hit the ground. Tampa Bay lost 17-10 in a game where Washington gained only 120 yards of offense, the lowest total for a playoff winner in NFL history.[9]

Sure sounds to me like he had more than a little to do with putting the Bucs in the playoffs... we have 3 come from behind victories, a 4th aborted by a missed chip shot field goal, a 5th aborted by a dropped TD pass... we have two losses in that stretch, one to the defending Super Bowl champs, one to the league's leading defense...

Perhaps your expectations for a backup QB are ridiculously high...

I don't hate Simms by the way

Excuse me if I don't believe you, with all your talk about "Chrissy Sissy"... that juvenile insult suggests a very deep-seated, and rather ridiculous, hatred of the guy...

I repeat, until and unless you've done something as courageous as play a football game with a freakin' ruptured spleen, you make a fool of yourself when you label the guy a "sissy"... it takes real testicular fortitude to keep on playing when you're hurt THAT badly...

I just think he's soft between the ears and injury prone. If Romo goes down for an extended period and Simms comes in, I can guarantee he will play lights out for a game or two then tank when teams adjust. It's just his make-up.

Your guarantee is worthless to me... if Chris can perform adequately in the feeble offense that Tampa Bay traditionally has, then it is quite logical to expect that he can play even better if plugged into a good offense (especially a good pass-blocking line, because Chris is the classic pocket QB, he's not gonna scramble much for ya)...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
switzersflask;2189524 said:
I'm not the one who made the name up. Ask Catch17 and give him my regards when you do.

If you repeat it, you're just as ridiculous as the originator...

I have some experience with playing in pain, having broken my foot in the first half of a basketball game, having the fracture diagnosed at halftime, and demanding the trainer tape it up, and put the shoe back on... then I went out and played the second half (and played better than I did in the first half, in spite of having a vertical jump measured in millimeters)...

It wasn't until the next day that I got my cast...

So I have immense respect for anybody who can get his spleen ruptured, and finish out a football game... yeah, I know he didn't know he'd ruptured the thing, but he had to know he was hurt real bad...

No "sissy" could possibly have done that... again, Simms got his knock by not being able to beat teams that were at the time better than his, and that's pretty ridiculous... but us Horns fans have a hard time admitting that any team is EVER better than ours... so instead, we have to look for scapegoats to explain away the losses... so Simms had a bad game, it HAS to be his fault... it couldn't possibly be that the opposing defense shut down the running game, and kept serious pressure on the QB all game long...

switzersflask

Reaction score
silverbear;2189604 said:
If you repeat it, you're just as ridiculous as the originator...

I have some experience with playing in pain, having broken my foot in the first half of a basketball game, having the fracture diagnosed at halftime, and demanding the trainer tape it up, and put the shoe back on... then I went out and played the second half (and played better than I did in the first half, in spite of having a vertical jump measured in millimeters)...

It wasn't until the next day that I got my cast...

So I have immense respect for anybody who can get his spleen ruptured, and finish out a football game... yeah, I know he didn't know he'd ruptured the thing, but he had to know he was hurt real bad...

No "sissy" could possibly have done that... again, Simms got his knock by not being able to beat teams that were at the time better than his, and that's pretty ridiculous... but us Horns fans have a hard time admitting that any team is EVER better than ours... so instead, we have to look for scapegoats to explain away the losses... so Simms had a bad game, it HAS to be his fault... it couldn't possibly be that the opposing defense shut down the running game, and kept serious pressure on the QB all game long...

Well, I'm just a simple OU fan and Dallas Cowboy fan that is stirring the pot with Chris.

I'm sure he's not a sissy, but I am sure you guys are thinking way too much into it.

Just stop, sit back, and have a little fun.

BTW, nobody ever answered my question about the dude on dude tattoos that Chrissy and his pal have on their ankles.

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
Aven8;2187392 said:
A 5th for Simms???? Are you crazy!!!! This guy sucks! I wouldn't trade Bobby Carpenter's Jock strap for him!

Why is everyone so clouded in memory to think that he has any talent??? He sucked at TX and he has sucked in Tampa. His throws always are going down (the nose of the ball), he has NO pocket awareness, and he's a loser!!! If Romo goes down we are done anyway! Culpepper should be who we look at. He isn't getting any offers so he can't complain about being the starter!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I would rather have Quincy backing up, then Simms!!!!!

They are supposed to....

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Ben_n_austin;2189686 said:
Brad Johnson > Chris Simms

Chris Simms = dufas

Almost.

Chris Simms > Brad Johnson

Major Applewhite > Chris Simms

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
silverbear;2188618 said:
Been a Horns fan longer than you have, son... I go back to Roger Staubach's Navy team goin' against them in the Cotton Bowl back in the early 60s... Dad was a 20 year Army man, so he was rooting against Navy... I was quite young, and got excited with him watching the game, and a Horns fan was born...

Then when I went to UTEP, our football teams were so bad we threw victory parties for winning the coin toss, and all of the guys in the dorm made real sure to either watch the Horns, or at least listen to their game on the radio...

So trust me, I'm quite familiar with you "fans" who refuse to recognize that the decision to play Simms over Applewhite was quite logical, even inevitable... Major had a ton of grit, and I remember him with fondness, but on his best day, he didn't have half the talent that Chris did...

Your criticisms of Simms' time in Buc-land is much the same thing, he worked for some rather bad teams, in particular teams that didn't have jack in the way of an offensive line... even so, he managed to get them into the playoffs...

You seem to expect a backup who's ready to step in and put up a 95 quarterback rating, and you're not gonna get that... such an animal doesn't exist... but Simms operating behind the Cowboys' offensive line, with that array of talent behind him, could do us a good, solid job...

I'd still be hoping that Romo never got hurt, but as backups go, you could do a LOT worse than Chris Simms... and none of your knee-jerk hatred from the Major-Chris days is gonna change my mind on that one...

Simms is reviled by some Horns fans for one reason, and one reason only-- the Sooners had better teams back then, and he couldn't manage to beat those better teams... and that's all some of you care about...

"Hello, career backup at best", you say... well, that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for right now-- somebody who can BACK UP Romo for a few years... our offense works because we keep defenses back by taking shots downfield, a dink and dunker like Brad Johnson is anathema to that approach... but Simms has the arm to hit those passes down the deep middle, and the chutzpah to take a shot at doing so...

Completely agree.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2189688 said:
Almost.

Chris Simms > Brad Johnson

Major Applewhite > Chris Simms

Hey, I wonder what Major is doing..... I'd take him as a #3. :shades:

switzersflask

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2189802 said:
memo to self: don't insult Longhorns

lol.. I was actually gonna remain a closet OU fan on here until I saw the Switzer bashing.

Then I made a fool of myself by saying Jimmy Johnson lost in the NFC Championship.

I wish I could go back to being just another random Cowboy fan on here. :bang2:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Ben_n_austin;2189796 said:
Hey, I wonder what Major is doing..... I'd take him as a #3. :shades:

I'm pretty sure he's an offensive coordinator or QB coach somewhere...Alabama for Nick Saban maybe?

David

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;2189806 said:
I'm pretty sure he's an offensive coordinator or QB coach somewhere...Alabama for Nick Saban maybe?

David

I think you might be correct. He was with Tennessee for a while, but I'm not sure what happened there.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Aven8;2187392 said:
A 5th for Simms???? Are you crazy!!!! This guy sucks! I wouldn't trade Bobby Carpenter's Jock strap for him!!!!

I would trade Bobby Carpenter for Simms straight up, no questions asked.