Cowboys having positive talks with Prescott/France on deal

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean it was a shootout. Shootouts are 50/50. I’m a firm believer if you ask your quarterback to throw 40-50 times you are gonna lose a lot of those games. It’s not a winning formula. And of course the game ended on a Romo pick. You throw it that many times things go bad.
You are correct. However, no team enters a game believing they will lose due to a shootout. That is never the goal. The goal is winning the game by any means necessary.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No he gave them 14. Turning the ball over in the red zone in todays NFL and asking the defense to stop a 17 yard drive for a TD is a lot.

He literally put the team in a position they couldn't recover from. The entire sideline and fan base rolled their eyes and said here we go again.

The defense was built to play with a lead. They struggled and the offense need to help them out. Spit the bit instead.
In the playoffs at home, it’s not asking a lot to have your defense make a stop and hold the opposition to an FG. It makes no difference if they’re on your 17 yard line. If you’re going to win a championship, your defense has to make a stop in that situation when you’re behind. Holding them to an FG would’ve been a victory and given us a little momentum. We’ve seen plenty of teams do it in the playoffs and Super Bowl in the same situations. That’s how you become a great football team. Some of you can’t stop making excuses for the defense. Brock Purdy put his team in a tough situation against Detroit in the conference title game in the second quarter with an INT and it led to a Detroit TD that put the Lions up 21-7.

They had a 24 -7 halftime lead. Purdy wasn’t playing well, but his defense stepped up in the second half. Their best defensive player Bosa started taking over the game. The 49ers came back in that game and won because of their defense. That’s what championship teams do! In the playoffs it comes down to your defense. That’s ultimately how KC won the Super Bowl by making a critical stop defensively. The 49ers couldn’t make those defensive stops when the game was on the line and it cost them. The Rams won a Super Bowl many years ago against Tennessee by making a critical defensive stop at the goal line keeping the Titans out of the end zone.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You are correct. However, no team enters a game believing they will lose due to a shootout. That is never the goal. The goal is winning the game by any means necessary.
This is true. But you also don’t expect to go into a game expecting to have to score 60 in a shootout. Especially this team that has no running game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It happens. I acknowledged that already. I agree 50 points in the playoffs should not happen but it occasionally does. My question is why defenses going MIA 'fine'?
Because a defense is gonna have its faults. This team had poor linebacker play and no interior defense to speak of. I expect some lapses but not 60 points though….

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is true. But you also don’t expect to go into a game expecting to have to score 60 in a shootout. Especially this team that has no running game.
I feel the urge to quote Herm Edwards. Teams can only depend upon the hand they are dealt. Or the hand they crafted for themselves.

The expectation of any team is to win a game despite whatever weakness they actually have. Otherwise, they should simply forfeit and not play the game. Additionally, the odds may weigh heavily against any team having 'no running game'. However, there are times an offense having no running game outscores their opponent anyway.

In the end, an argument can be made to support why an offense could not win a game without its defense. However, criticism cannot be totally excused if it does not execute the phases of its game that it does do well despite what it does not do well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s going to be HILARIOUS watching the mega meltdown on this board by the haters if Dak is extended, especially for $60 million per. The posts and threads immediately after the news breaks will be pure comedy. :laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because a defense is gonna have its faults. This team had poor linebacker play and no interior defense to speak of. I expect some lapses but not 60 points though….
The discussion focus is being pushed heavily towards criticism of defense and not being inclusive of the offense's lack of performance.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The discussion focus is being pushed heavily towards criticism of defense and not being inclusive of the offense's lack of performance.
I don’t sense that at all. The offense is the own being heavily criticized especially Dak. And that’s fine. His position is important and our success is dependent on him. I’m just putting blame 50/50. Both units sucked.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don’t sense that at all. The offense is the own being heavily criticized especially Dak. And that’s fine. His position is important and our success is dependent on him. I’m just putting blame 50/50. Both units sucked.
i call it the four phases of futility, all three phases of player groups and the coaching staff= laid a giant smelly rotten egg against GB..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bold> I did not sense a 50/50 ratio within these last two posts. I will now be exiting my foray into a Dak Prescott thread. Hopefully, 2024 will build a complete team consisting of all four elements if it reaches the postseason again.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Bold> I did not sense a 50/50 ratio within these last two posts. I will now be exiting my foray into a Dak Prescott thread. Hopefully, 2024 will build a complete team consisting of all four elements if it reaches the postseason again.
I’ve literally preached in this thread both units were bad. Meanwhile seems like the majority of the posts in here are letting the defense skate and putting it all on the offense. To the point people are saying when the defense sucks you need to score every play in a shootout.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
I feel the urge to quote Herm Edwards. Teams can only depend upon the hand they are dealt. Or the hand they crafted for themselves.

The expectation of any team is to win a game despite whatever weakness they actually have. Otherwise, they should simply forfeit and not play the game. Additionally, the odds may weigh heavily against any team having 'no running game'. However, there are times an offense having no running game outscores their opponent anyway.

In the end, an argument can be made to support why an offense could not win a game without its defense. However, criticism cannot be totally excused if it does not execute the phases of its game that it does do well despite what it does not do well.
I saw a team that acted like they weren't even interested in being competitive on their own turf. It just took the hope right out of me.

davidr295

Reaction score
Do not get sucked into the rabbit hole

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Nope, take the hit this year- don't compound the error of giving him more money. If you really want to rebuild just cut him now and tank this year and start over - all ends in the same place with no Super Bowl this year either way!
You need assets to rebuild. The best source of those are trades with a dak trade likely bringing the best ones.
Even the Texans got a haul for DeShaun Watson.
Now they are rebuilt.....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Tom Brady >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dak

Actually it's more than distance than that. I don't know I stopped.
Doesn’t matter. You don’t have to be Tom Brady in order to not give up in a game. Did you ever play sports or anything? You just quit when down? Why? Because you weren’t Brady or Staubach?