Signed by Cowboys Cowboys hire Greg Ellis as assistant DL Coach

Rayman70

Reaction score
He was really serious about going all in.
He took his craft seriously and still does. You can tell when he talks that he loves the game and is grounded. I think we needed this in the locker-room. Great hire. I floated his name out for a job on the staff about 8 days ago or so I think, I was praying he'd get a call from us. I am flat giddy that we did!

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I'm wondering what other people from the 5-11 era we can poach? It worked so well back then I'm sure the Patriots are scared we are going to surpass their SB trophy lead soon.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jerry gave Lett a check for a number of years too. I guess it's Ellis's turn now.

Jerry does have a good heart on him for his former players.
I'll give him that.
Should bring in Ekuban to handle the other side of the DL.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What's next, Randy Moss the new WR coach?
Lol. Randy Moss would most likely help with how our WRs coach continues to fail to fix certain passing routes, especially come playoff time as Kurt Warner has complained about for the past 3 details mistake laden playoffs.

JustChip

Reaction score
Ellis was clearly the best player but considering what was there it was a terrible pick. Moss would have moved the needle.
Obviously, it’ll never be known how it would’ve played out, but Moss probably would’ve imploded here in this circus. There were issues early on in Minnesota, not Pacman type, but enough. There was zero strong foundation like Jimmy or the Tuna, it was the PT Barnam show. Look at how well all the flawed players this team gambles on have panned out and it’s less unstable now than then.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Come on down Greg you are reentering the Hollywood Showtime Express which is one Dallas Cowboys plus their cheerleaders as a coach. Welcome aboard once again and help get this line fixed please. Good Luck.

Creeper

Reaction score
Jerry Jones the GMs attempt to replace Charles Haley was first round picks on each of….

Shante Carver
Kavika Pittman
Greg Ellis
Ebenezer Ekuban

I’d guess Ellis was the best of those. So there’s that. Might be a good coach, tough to say.

After drafting him, Jerry said he would “hire him to babysit his kids.” Yes, he said that.

This was when Mike was snorting half of Peru daily, and they couldn’t afford to take on bad boy Randy Moss.
I remember Jerry making that statement about Ellis babysitting his kid and my first thought was I'd rather he drafted the guy that he would never have babysit his kids.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
wow, thats very cool stuff. He seems like a great human being too. Grounded. He was always steady eddie and played a good while in the NFL. He never gets the love he deserves. His stats are crazy good.Good solid draft pick.

He was. He probably would've been liked more in our fanbase if it weren't for Moss lol. He was a very underrated player.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
I remember Jerry making that statement about Ellis babysitting his kid and my first thought was I'd rather he drafted the guy that he would never have babysit his kids.
Splitting hairs but it was Mac Brown who coached Ellis at UNC who gave the babysitting line when speaking with Jones who then repeated what Brown said.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Does anyone remember how good Ellis was in 1998 before he broke his leg? He was a game changer and I firmly believe he was on his way to being in the Hall of Fame. He would almost take over games and had fumble recoveries of 99 and 98 yards if I'm not mistaken. Could have been 97. He never was the same player after the injury.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I remember that Greg liked to cry a lot! Anyone else recall that?
He was a consistent whiner. Whined about playing OLB in the 3-4, he felt sorry for himself when Anthony Spencer was drafted, cried for guaranteed money in his TENTH year in the league (threatened to retire) and I am certain I am forgetting more.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He took his craft seriously and still does. You can tell when he talks that he loves the game and is grounded. I think we needed this in the locker-room. Great hire. I floated his name out for a job on the staff about 8 days ago or so I think, I was praying he'd get a call from us. I am flat giddy that we did!
If he as a coach like he was the woe is me whiner he was as a player, it is a terrible hire for a team that struggles with perspective.