Cowboys in longest playoff appearance drought in 24 years

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't forget the bad contracts and aging players part. Might as well tell the whole story.

Or the 1-7 start for that team that had won a playoff game the year prior. Teams vary significantly from year to year in the NFL.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He inherited a team that quit on Wade. Any team that quits will lose a bunch regardless of talent.

Jason earned the job after the 2010 season by getting what Wade couldn't.

Effort. Or did the team suddenly have a mass influx in talent right after Wade was fired?

So did they quit on him week 1 and 2 when we lost both games? Or was it only during the 5 game losing streak that followed the lone win in the first 8 games of the season?

Either way the team was not going to the playoffs when JG inherited it. AKA not being a playoff team.

So no JG didn't inherit a playoff team. Not explicitly. Not implicitly. Not factually.

You just don't get to rewrite history.

Dodger12

Reaction score
We all expected more in the Garrett era than we did in the Campo era, because the teams were better. That obviously doesn't mean the product on the field was worse.

That said, if you're saying you've enjoyed the last three seasons less than the Campo seasons because of your personal expectations, I can't argue with you. That's entirely a matter of your personal preference. I can't imagine another fan preferring irrelevance to win-or-go-home. I can imagine fans making the case that they prefer it in order to vent frustration with the current product. But just because I can't imagine something, I guess it doesn't necessarily mean it's not real. For me, those Campo seasons--along with the Vinny Testeverde season under Parcells--were, by far, my worst seasons in memory as a Cowboy fan.

Maybe it does come down to personal preference. I had little to no expectations when we're starting some of the scrubs that played for Campo. This team, with a franchise QB, should be better than 3 games a season when you're starting Clint Stoerner during the year.

I know we could have done better during Romo's years but we failed to take advantage of it. "Enjoyment" is pretty arbitrary. I think part of the enjoyment during a season is the expectations it brings going into the next season. Watching a young QB or young talent mature, grow and improve is something I can appreciate and look beyond the wins and losses because you're building on some foundation. 8 and 8 three straight seasons isn't building when you have many of the same issues year after year. And if you would have bet against the Cowboys every time they played a winning team in the last 3 seasons, you'd have been correct every time but once (I think). Win or go home games have little to do with it.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Random depressing fact: The last time the Cowboys went 4 or more consecutive seasons without a playoff appearance was from 1986-1990.

Bonus random depressing fact: The last time the Cowboys won a road playoff game (excluding Super Bowls, which are at neutral venues) was the 1992 NFC Championship Game.

Let's end both skids soon.

its of their own doing, nothing more.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Don't forget the bad contracts and aging players part. Might as well tell the whole story.

The bad contracts just caught up to the Cowboys this year costing the team Ware and Hatcher. The Cowboys corp group consisting of Romo, Ware and Witten were all under 30 when Garrett took over in 2010 plus Dez was a rookie.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And was 1-7.

The Cowboys were 1-7 because they were an underachieving team that had lost their starting QB and decided to quit. Once Wade was fired and Jerry threatened the job security of his players they went on to win 5 of their last 8 games that season including a win over a Peyton Manning led Colts team on the road. That team won 4 games with an aging backup QB and one game with their 3rd string QB. Garrett's had Romo every game but one since 2011 and a Dez Bryant who's gotten better and more productive every year and still hasn't broken 500.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's been 18 years since the Cowboys played in a SB which is the longest SB drought in franchise history. It took Landry only 10 years to get the Cowboys to a SB after starting off with an expansion team that didn't even have a draft pick their first year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Either way the team was not going to the playoffs when JG inherited it. AKA not being a playoff team.

The talent Garrett inherited was good enough to win 5 of 8 games with an aging backup QB and a 3rd string QB who's no longer in the league. The best the Cowboys have looked under Garrett was his 8 games as the interim HC in 2010 and the team was without it's starting QB. He wouldn't win a game without Romo now.

Plankton

Reaction score
Exactly he was the OC who was under fire that season for his play calling.

Not to mention the Assistant Head Coach of the team, and steward of a consistently mistake prone, sloppy unit.

His team played their best ball after Jones put the team on notice. They haven't played that well since.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
It's been 18 years since the Cowboys played in a SB which is the longest SB drought in franchise history. It took Landry only 10 years to get the Cowboys to a SB after starting off with an expansion team that didn't even have a draft pick their first year.

No salary cap, tho

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Garrett and campo are not far apart
Neither is an effective HC, the difference is that Garrett can talk the talk

They're far apart Campo had 29 years of coaching experience 11 of those years in the NFL before becoming a HC. He didn't talk his way into coaching jobs all those years and Jimmy certainly wouldn't have hired him as part of his staff in 89 if he wasn't qualified. Campo was the DB's coach when the Cowboys won their first 2 SB's under Jimmy and the DC when they won SB XXX. As a HC Campo inherited a declining Cowboys team that had just lost Troy Aikman and he didn't have a #1 pick his first 2 seasons due to the failed Joey Galloway trade.

He was stuck having to develop a rookie QB that Jerry hand picked in 2001 with the Cowboys top pick. The Cowboys went through at least 6 QB's during Campo's tenure as HC. He never had a Tony Romo, Demarcus Ware or a Jason Witten. Does anyone honestly believe Garrett could win 5 games with the QB's and teams Campo was stuck with?