Twitter: Cowboys interest in TE Brate

CB61

Reaction score
Campos may want to drop that 40 Millions maybe one of our defensive linemen we can spare? I also see one of the sports writers had the audacity to say that we should trade for Ty Montgomery even after what happened yesterday I'd like to have some of what he's smoking

CB61

Reaction score
Campos may want to drop that 40 Millions maybe one of our defensive linemen we can spare? I also see one of the sports writers had the audacity to say that we should trade for Ty Montgomery even after what happened yesterday I'd like to have some of what he's smoking
Tampa may want to why would my phone talk to text spit out Campos????

Reactions: CWR

CB61

Reaction score
My only issue was given up so many draft picks is that at some point we have to draft a safety next year or go after 1 in free agency I'm not so sure Earl Thomas would be that person we need either although he may be a good fit he might be too expensive and too old by that point we need a good young safety to develop

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
You're right about Brate but at what cost? We are already spectators for the first round and I'm not giving a 3rd for Brate; especially not if Schultz is the player the Cowboys hope he will be.
Right now, we don't know what we have in Schultz, maybe he develops, maybe he doesn't. Is he closer to Escobar or Bennett? If Schultz does develop then we have a valuable TE cheap and can use Brate in a trade. This gives him time to bulk up and develop, while still having a quality player in a valuable position in our offense.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My only issue was given up so many draft picks is that at some point we have to draft a safety next year or go after 1 in free agency I'm not so sure Earl Thomas would be that person we need either although he may be a good fit he might be too expensive and too old by that point we need a good young safety to develop

I'm all for getting Ha-Ha Clinton Dix as well. Dix is 25, in his fifth season and has three interceptions this year. He's probably better than any safety we can get from the second round on unless we get lucky.

We've tried this building through the draft thing and gotten some good players, but it's time to supplement it with quality veterans that can help before too many players get to old for the slow-building process, like Romo, Witten and Ware did.

I don't see Dallas doing much, if anything, more, though, because the team is not forward-thinking. It's going to trust the process until the process leaves and a different coach comes in here with a different way of thinking that the Joneses will be willing to adopt.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Oh I watch the highlights I'm all in if the right price
Would it help to know, we would have the TE TD leader over the last 2 years for the next 5 years for about $33million? The Cooper trade has much more risk, we're gambling he will be the player he was 2 years ago and we only have him for 1 more year. If he does regain that form from 2 years ago, his cost will be in the $18-20 million after that. Brate's cap hits the next 5 years are $7, $6, $6.5, $6.8 and then $7.5

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Bucs want a 3rd. I think that’s too high. I’d offer a 4th at best.

Way too expensive. First off he we see that he isn't even the best TE on the Bucs team. He is limited athletically just like our guys. Secondly, he just got a 7m a year contract from the Bucs. We cannot continue to grab expensive free agents at every spot. Yes, we do have sal cap money in the next few years, but we also have huge contracts coming up. Dak possibly, Zeke, Demarcus Lawrence, Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith. Can't have 10 guys making top of position salaries.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Per Mike Fisher on the fan just now!

Cameron Brate signed a $40.8 million contract with the Buccaneers on March 12, 2018.

That is an odd contract for a #2 TE. Howard was the starter in 2017.

Brate does appear to have good numbers when he does start:

Brate 2016:
15 games played
10 starts
Rec 57
Yards 660
TDs 8

He must be a very good blocker if they gave him that contract as the #2 TE.

CWR

Reaction score
Way too expensive. First off he we see that he isn't even the best TE on the Bucs team. He is limited athletically just like our guys. Secondly, he just got a 7m a year contract from the Bucs. We cannot continue to grab expensive free agents at every spot. Yes, we do have sal cap money in the next few years, but we also have huge contracts coming up. Dak possibly, Zeke, Demarcus Lawrence, Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith. Can't have 10 guys making top of position salaries.

I mean its OJ Howard ahead of him. The dude is a beast. Brate is a really good TE, but he doesn't have OJs tools, few guys do.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

"Let's build the team through bye week trades"

3 developmental TEs, one we just spent a 4th on. Apparently none of them good enough that we're willing to give them a start while Swaim heals.

So let's spend another 3rd or 4th on a TE. Yay.

I wonder if the news on Swaim's knee is so bad. He's been playing pretty well. I doubt that this guy will be much of an improvement.

Given how much we play our TE, I thought TE made more sense for a high draft pick than WR. Ooops. Already spent the first. And now we're getting an ok TE from another team's cast offs. For another pick. Wahoo. SB, baby.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Hard to say he's expensive. He's due $7 miilion next year and $6 million the following year. We're paying Hurns $6 million a year. Brate has 3 TDs this year, more than anybody else on our roster has.
He's paid at about 13th or 14th at his position.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score

With his contract.... I'd rather stick with Swaim TBH. Pretty impartial.

Though he adds a dynamic to our offense lack, he is a strong red zone target. I'd give up a 4th / 5th, but that contract...6 yrs, 41mn

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
"Let's build the team through bye week trades"

3 developmental TEs, one we just spent a 4th on. Apparently none of them good enough that we're willing to give them a start while Swaim heals.

So let's spend another 3rd or 4th on a TE. Yay.

I wonder if the news on Swaim's knee is so bad. He's been playing pretty well. I doubt that this guy will be much of an improvement.

Given how much we play our TE, I thought TE made more sense for a high draft pick than WR. Ooops. Already spent the first. And now we're getting an ok TE from another team's cast offs. For another pick. Wahoo. SB, baby.
Well what I bolded is the point I tried to make months ago when I made a thread that got me trolled when I stated draft picks are overvalued.

We got Shultz for the same price we could bring in an established TE, like Brate.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Cameron Brate signed a $40.8 million contract with the Buccaneers on March 12, 2018.

That is an odd contract for a #2 TE. Howard was the starter in 2017.

Brate does appear to have good numbers when he does start:

Brate 2016:
15 games played
10 starts
Rec 57
Yards 660
TDs 8

He must be a very good blocker if they gave him that contract as the #2 TE.
It was only 7m in original guarantees and no signing bonus

It is really a series of team options at 7m per