Twitter: Cowboys interest in TE Brate

TheHerd

Reaction score
The first two minutes of that highlight video shows more caches while on the run than our TEs have had in 5 years. Watching highlights of other teams TEs makes me hate our scheme even more than I thought I did. We need a house cleaning or we're going nowhere.

reddyuta

Reaction score
$7M in cap hit next year is no small #...better be a 4th rounder or less.

That would $21M invested into 2 positions we were told like 2.5 months ago we didn’t need. Weird how that works...

every decision they made in the offseason has backfired spectacularly,the sad part is there is no accountability and nobody to criticize Stephen Jones.

reddyuta

Reaction score
The first two minutes of that highlight video shows more caches while on the run than our TEs have had in 5 years. Watching highlights of other teams TEs makes me hate our scheme even more than I thought I did. We need a house cleaning or we're going nowhere.

you need a Qb to hit a Receiver on the run and Dak does that VERY rarely

tm1119

Reaction score
every decision they made in the offseason has backfired spectacularly,the sad part is there is no accountability and nobody to criticize Stephen Jones.

Shhh...Stephen and McClay are geniuses. All the bad decisions are made by Jerry and Jason. Haven’t you realized how these things work??

(At least to most fans on this board)

Praxit

Reaction score
..kinda sux when you have 3 TE's on the squad and none cant elevate their game.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The decision on the receiving crew has backfired, although they did try hard for Sammy Watkins. Otherwise I would say the decision to draft LVE and Gallup were good decisions.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
..kinda sux when you have 3 TE's on the squad and none cant elevate their game.

Swaim was elevating his game before the injury, and it just took making him part of the game plan. He is the second leading receiver on the team, and has the highest catch rate on the team. He also would be tied for the most receiving TDs had Dak not missed what should have been an easy throw.

That said, the stats still aren't great, but going from a 3rd string TE who almost never got targeted to the second leading receiver to date would definitely qualify as elevating his game.

TheHerd

Reaction score

You also need the receiver to be running a route not named a comeback, hook, or short out. Not sure we have any of those on the playbook, and certainly not to a TE. Run 2 yards short of the first down and turn around.

CB61

Reaction score
Jeez can you guys stop being dramatic? Nobody is giving up a 1st for freaking Cameron Brate
I wouldn't think so but is that worth taking on a 6 year $40 mil contract? At least that's what I heard he makes that could be wrong

plasticman

Reaction score
A 4th round pick for a backup TE, a 27 year old former rookie free agent on the Buccaneers with at $4 mil a season contract? So now the Cowboys are the dumping ground for bad contracts? They are establishing quite a league wide reputation.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Brate is someone I really wanted during the off season, but since the Bucs had just given him a new contract, that didn't look possible. I was wanting the Cowboys to look at getting him this next off season. He has good size, good hands and is a solid blocker. He's strong and will be a definite upgrade in blocking. He has good hands and does a good using his size and strength to make contested catches, excellent red zone target. Our offensive scheme is very reliant on TEs and Brate makes the unit better instantly. He becomes the security blanket and chain mover and can provide the occasional big play, we need at TE. A 4th or conditional 3rd would be a good deal. If we don't get him during the season, we need to look at getting him during the off season. Bucs are in desperate need on defense and maybe a package of a pick and a rotational DL or DB could make the deal happen.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm not saying he wouldn't fit, I'm just saying the upgrade doesn't appear to be enough to give up a draft pick for. I think it would be no more than an incremental upgrade, and depending on how our young TE's develop in a year or two it may not even be that.
I agree.

If it pans out..

the draft pick goes up.

What is his cap hit now?

CB61

Reaction score
And honestly I've never seen him play so I couldn't say whether it's worth it or not but I would have to agree if they want a third offer a fourth or fifth I don't think there's many teams lining up to take him like they said they were with Cooper could be wrong though

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Brate is someone I really wanted during the off season, but since the Bucs had just given him a new contract, that didn't look possible. I was wanting the Cowboys to look at getting him this next off season. He has good size, good hands and is a solid blocker. He's strong and will be a definite upgrade in blocking. He has good hands and does a good using his size and strength to make contested catches, excellent red zone target. Our offensive scheme is very reliant on TEs and Brate makes the unit better instantly. He becomes the security blanket and chain mover and can provide the occasional big play, we need at TE. A 4th or conditional 3rd would be a good deal. If we don't get him during the season, we need to look at getting him during the off season. Bucs are in desperate need on defense and maybe a package of a pick and a rotational DL or DB could make the deal happen.
What is his cap hit with the Bucks with his new deal?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
We also run a lot of comeback, curls, hooks, type routes that don't allow for hitting players on the move. We should be running much more drags, crosses, slants, digs etc than we currently do.

CB61

Reaction score
You have peaked my interest I usually don't watch games that the Bucs play in first of all I think Jameis Winston should be in jail not in the NFL and Florida teams do not Peak my interest not even when I live there except to go watch the Bills pound on the Dolphins

CB61

Reaction score
He definitely has good hands anyway it seems from the highlights ???? Hell if it's an upgrade and we can get them for a good price do it