Twitter: Cowboys interest in TE Brate

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Well what I bolded is the point I tried to make months ago when I made a thread that got me trolled when I stated draft picks are overvalued.

We got Shultz for the same price we could bring in an established TE, like Brate.

I hated the Shultz pick. One more developmental TE, leaving us with only 1 guy ready to actually play in an NFL game.

Should have just signed a journeyman, instead of spending a midrounder who wouldn't be ready for the big lights anyway. Brate is another "let's spend too much because we were dumb".

I wonder if Garrett is actually feeling heat. Or at least Jerry is generating random heat in all directions. Earl Thomas. Amari Cooper. Now Brate. We have been "build long term from the draft" for a few years, but in the last couple of months there seems to be plenty of willingness to spend too much draft capital on short term solutions.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Even if it's not Brate, I wonder if the Cowboys do pick up a TE by tomorrow. Swaim has basically been asked to be the number one and number two guy and now he's hurt. Rico and Blake Jarwin are just sub-package guys and Schultz is a rookie.

If there's an experienced guy out there that can block and can be had for a late round pick, even in 2020, then I can see Dallas getting him. Just a name to throw out there- Cleveland's Seth DeValve?
Jared Cook maybe?

chagus

Reaction score
I am not opposed to this move. FO may have screwed the pooch on the WR and TE situations during the offseason, but i gotta hand it to them... AT LEAST they are trying to fix it and salvage the season now.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I hope not unless its for a 6th or less and a paycut lol guy is a jag.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think its a bad mistake to over reach and cut Shultz. He just got here. I would however, cut Swaim or Jarwin. ..maybe both.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Shultz,Brate OR COOK with Rico Gathers would be a huge upgrade any way you slice it.

Reactions: CWR

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think its a bad mistake to over reach and cut Shultz. He just got here. I would however, cut Swaim or Jarwin. ..maybe both.

Swaim is the only even backup level guy we have. If healthy, he's the last guy I cut.

Schulz was actually the first for me. We only have him for one year more than Rico and Jarwin. The fourth is sunk cost now. 3 developmental players at TE is at least one too many. Shouldn't have picked Schulz in the first place.

Whoever of the 3 is the worst can be dumped. Including Schulz.

If we trade for Brate, we should trade back one of our developmental TEs as part of the deal. That's a likely win-win.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Shultz,Brate OR COOK with Rico Gathers would be a huge upgrade any way you slice it.

Jared Cook would be a great pickup if you want a receiving TE. No one else you are gonna get at a somewhat reasonable cost is in his class.

CB61

Reaction score
Would it help to know, we would have the TE TD leader over the last 2 years for the next 5 years for about $33million? The Cooper trade has much more risk, we're gambling he will be the player he was 2 years ago and we only have him for 1 more year. If he does regain that form from 2 years ago, his cost will be in the $18-20 million after that. Brate's cap hits the next 5 years are $7, $6, $6.5, $6.8

I said go get him if the Price Is Right, I don't disagree with you when I heard Whitten was retiring I knew we would be in trouble at that position and some Growing Pains if we can eliminate them with this trade I'm all in at a fair price and I do agree with you to Cooper trade is already risky, seeing as he is a free agent next year

CB61

Reaction score
The only good thing is that we will have a lot of cap space next year if we play it right

CB61

Reaction score
I believe the estimated cap space for next year it's about 70 million dollars I could be off a few here and there and I think Cooper will command more than 18 to 20 million dollar range if he returns to form