Twitter: Cowboys interest in TE Brate

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Maybe. You know our front office is full of crap so anything is possible. Its clear they identified the need for a WR and changed their strategy mid season. Whos to say they haven't or wont do the same at TE?
Tossing a first mid season is about as all in as you can be, even for Jerry.
Brate should be on the radar.

Reactions: CWR

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Jeez can you guys stop being dramatic? Nobody is giving up a 1st for freaking Cameron Brate

I think some of these people have watched "Draft Day" movie way too many times... Especially the part where the Browns give 3 consecutive # 1 picks in future drafts for the option to draft Bo Callahan...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In Brate's 3 full seasons (not including this year or his first year when he only started one game) he has averaged 513 yards per season. Is that really something we need to give away a draft pick for? For that matter, is it really even something we can't get from Swaim?

dckid

Reaction score
Per Mike Fisher on the fan just now!

My question is why are we so freaking stupid!!! Why buy a snowblower when a 2 foot storm is coming tomorrow?
Where was the front office this offseason? We were all pounding this forum asking why are we not looking to improve this team?
These are all fire'able offenses. There is a reason teams have an offseason.. .Improve your roster and your scheme. These things dont happen on the fly, tweaks happen but not wholesale changes.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'll just sit back and wait to see what happens and if we make the trade watch the homers talk about how brilliant a move that was.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again....................................SARCASM.

Again? In any case, if it was sarcasm, I apologize, but sarcasm doesn't always come across clearly in print, especially considering there are posters that would actually say something like this seriously.

Falco78

Reaction score
$7M in cap hit next year is no small #...better be a 4th rounder or less.

That would $21M invested into 2 positions we were told like 2.5 months ago we didn’t need. Weird how that works...
A team with idiots in charge...

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again? In any case, if it was sarcasm, I apologize, but sarcasm doesn't always come across clearly in print, especially considering there are posters that would actually say something like this seriously.
Yes - it was addressed earlier in the thread. No apology necessary.

visionary

Reaction score
Again....................................SARCASM.

But based on what ?

Our FO (esp Jerry) has a long track record of making great and well thought out personnel moves

So I ask you: based on what ?

:popcorn:

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've been beating this drum since week 2. While it sounds like this is nothing more than wishful speculation on behalf of Patrick Walker, if they are indeed shopping him for a 3rd then I think he's definitely worth it. His past 16 games that he started he has almost 1000 yards and 14 TD's, despite only playing 62% and 53% of offensive snaps in 2016 and 2017, respectively. For his career he has a 68% catch %. That's insane production from a TE.

The questions are:
1. Are we putting it all on the line this year to see what Dak is and where he can take us without an excuse of "lack of talent?" If so, then yes, grab him. You aren't likely going to find a TE in the draft by the 3rd round that is as good as Brate.

2. If we aren't making that kind of push, then the next question becomes about cost and the talent on the team right now.

To the first part of that question:

The top free-agents for next year are Eifert, Walker, Kroft, James, and Cook. Out of that bunch, Kroft and James will be the cheapest, and they are solid, albeit unimpressive.
Eifert and Walker will be the pricey options that have a ton of talent but have been injured frequently.
Cook will be the most well rounded of the group and could end up being the highest paid, but he's still not somebody that I would open up the vault for.

I am betting that nearly every one of them will be higher paid than Brate when they sign.

On to the talent section of the second question. How do you feel about any of the TE's in the group we have now? Do you think there is even 1 of them that given the chance will develop into a better TE than Brate? Going back to question 1, how long will that take? A year? Two?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
@Nightman

Hey Night, have a question.

Brate's contract is
6 yrs/40,800,000
$18M guaranteed
Average $6.8M
Doesnt appear to have any signing bonus

With no signing bonus, if a team traded for Brate, they would assume the entire contract, correct? His cap hits would remain at the $6M-$7.5M area assuming he saw the end of his contract, right?

superonyx

Reaction score
You can find Swaim's here:

That is awesome.
Someone took the time to pull a video together. I guess Swaim has plenty of time in the offseason to work on his video editing skills.

The best part was how to starts with "call at 2 of his targets in 2017".

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Please. No more trades of Cowboy draft picks. At this point, let's just roll with what we got. If we must trade, let it be some Cowboy fringe player for a draft pick. Get draft picks, don't give draft picks up.