Twitter: Cowboys interest in TE Brate

Kage

Reaction score
Brate is currently a backup stuck behind a first-rounder. Swaim is our starter. I have no doubt if Brate were here as the starter, he'd be quite a bit above where Swaim is.

I'm not knocking Swaim. He's a pretty good No. 2, but that's his ceiling.
I agree that he probably would be an upgrade, but how much of an upgrade? I'm just not convinced its worth possibly a 4th rounder and the cap space.

ghst187

Reaction score
Fix the HC and OC positions and the player issues would likely fall into place ....

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Brate is currently a backup stuck behind a first-rounder. Swaim is our starter. I have no doubt if Brate were here as the starter, he'd be quite a bit above where Swaim is.

I'm not knocking Swaim. He's a pretty good No. 2, but that's his ceiling.

I agree with this, but also agree with Kage.

Some things we know:

Brate is already 27
Has a top 5 TE contract
Has had solid but not spectacular production in three of his five seasons

Am I crazy for thinking a 4th is ridiculous to give up?

Reactions: BAT

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree that he probably would be an upgrade, but how much of an upgrade? I'm just not convinced its worth possibly a 4th rounder and the cap space.

I'm kind of the opposite. I believe if we're ever going to contend with this coaching staff, we've got to increase the talent level.

If you asked me whether I wanted to draft Schultz in the fourth round or trade that pick for Brate, I would have traded it in a heartbeat.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would not be so sure that Brate would be the day one starter here. I mean, I look at both players and I really don't see the clear advantage here. Brate is smaller and, while he might be second string, he only has 7 fewer targets then does Swaim. Right now, Swaim is 8th in the league in catch percentage at 79.17%. Swaim is younger and he's definitely cheaper. Maybe the problem is that we just aren't going to Swaim enough?

I don't know if this is a very good deal or not, to be honest. We could be taking on that salary and giving up that draft pick for a guy who is not going to be any better then what we currently have on the roster.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree with this, but also agree with Kage.

Some things we know:

Brate is already 27
Has a top 5 TE contract
Has had solid but not spectacular production in three of his five seasons

Am I crazy for thinking a 4th is ridiculous to give up?

Again, would you trade Schultz for Brate straight up?

Frankly, I don't think Tampa would take less than a third for him. IMO, we'd have to sweeten the fourth-round pot by giving them a No. 2 tight end as well.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Again, would you trade Schultz for Brate straight up?

Frankly, I don't think Tampa would take less than a third for him. IMO, we'd have to sweeten the fourth-round pot by giving them a No. 2 tight end as well.

I wouldnt use a stupid 4th round pick we made as a basis though.
Schultz should have never been picked in the 4th, it was out of pure desperation.

I do know that I'd take Ian Thomas and Will Dissly on rookie contracts every day of the week over Brate.

But with that said I still dont know if I would given Brate's contract and our upcoming free agents.

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I would not be so sure that Brate would be the day one starter here. I mean, I look at both players and I really don't see the clear advantage here. Brate is smaller and, while he might be second string, he only has 7 fewer targets then does Swaim. Right now, Swaim is 8th in the league in catch percentage at 79.17%. Swaim is younger and he's definitely cheaper. Maybe the problem is that we just aren't going to Swaim enough?

I don't know if this is a very good deal or not, to be honest. We could be taking on that salary and giving up that draft pick for a guy who is not going to be any better then what we currently have on the roster.

Swaim was injured against Skins.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
@Nightman

Hey Night, have a question.

Brate's contract is
6 yrs/40,800,000
$18M guaranteed
Average $6.8M
Doesnt appear to have any signing bonus

With no signing bonus, if a team traded for Brate, they would assume the entire contract, correct? His cap hits would remain at the $6M-$7.5M area assuming he saw the end of his contract, right?
Yes.....it would be a 5/33m deal

Basically 5 team options at 6-8m a year....very team friendly but a bit expensive for 500 yds and 5 TDs

His 7m base salary for 2018 guarantees the first week of March so they would probably restructure and lower his cap hit to 2m

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I don't think they should trade any more draft picks away they will need them to add some players next season this one is pretty over as far as the playoffs are concerned