Twitter: Cowboys interested in bringing back Jeff Heath

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Special teams ace and a 3rd safety? Sure. Starter? Pass.

The guy plays with heart and leaves everything on the field. Love that about him— but we can definitely get better production from both S positions

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no issue with Heath coming back, I do expect the Cowboys to bring in others to compete and it could be a 1st rd pick at safety. In the end it will fall to Nolan to make a determination of who is starter and who is backup.

morat1959

Reaction score
Team leader. Special teams captain. Can be a really solid 3rd safety.

This shouldn't surprise anyone. He's a player that has value. He's certainly not going to get big money and his contributions would be challenging to replace.
What exactly has he lead this team to? Our ST have sucked for as long as he’s been here!

Mr_437

Reaction score
They need a Safety who's good on STs, so Heath fits. Plus, they know him and he has a ton of starter experience if needed. Makes sense.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet money he's either a Giant or a Lion when all is said and done.

kskboys

Reaction score
How in the world can the majority of fans see that Heath is a fine backup/STer and not a starter, but Jerry can't?

JayFord

Reaction score
As a backup? Yes
As a ST ace? Yes

say what you want but if your safeties go down there would be no one better to put back there in a pinch than Heath

now as a starter? Absolutely not....

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Hope so. I love Heath as a backup/STer. If he's starting, we remain a stupid team.

Heath is ideal for our free agent profile. Cheap bridge player. He's one that plays special teams and can backup both S spots. We're usually not spending the extra to get special teams play too.

The question is whether he comes cheap enough for us to keep him. Lots of teams would want a STer who is a solid backup at both S spots and pretty good in deep zone. His previous deal was only 2 mil a year. I bet he gets more than that. We've paid more than that for less.

A possible downside for Heath here is if the new scheme makes safeties play more man, and near the LOS. He's a liability that way. But I don't know what the new scheme is like. I don't know that *they* know what the new scheme is like, given their "we'll tailor the scheme to the players".

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I've talked a lot of trash about Heath, but at least he was one of the few guys who never quit last season. Don't give him starter money, but I don't hate the idea of him staying. Never thought I'd say that.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I've talked a lot of trash about Heath, but at least he was one of the few guys who never quit last season. Don't give him starter money, but I don't hate the idea of him staying. Never thought I'd say that.

Heath as a backup, special teams guy, and nickel safety is a very good thing. I would love to have him around to mentor a 1st round safety like Grant Delpit or Xavier McKinney too.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Blame Dak all you want, but bad decisions like this is what has kept the Dallas Cowboys from actually competing.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Blame Dak all you want, but bad decisions like this is what has kept the Dallas Cowboys from actually competing.

Keeping Jeff Heath isn't the problem. Keeping him as a starter is the problem. This forum will implode if the Cowboys re-sign Heath, but every team in the league needs players like him (special teamer, experienced reserve).

blindzebra

Reaction score
It is amazing how this fanbase sees players. Heath has outproduced several of the big name/pro bowl safeties the past few years. He is actually slightly above average as a starter at box safety and is a great special team player.

cern

Reaction score
How in the world can the majority of fans see that Heath is a fine backup/STer and not a starter, but Jerry can't?
one man's starter is another's backup. he's a starter here because we haven't been able to find anyone better. but he's better than church and wilcox were. and he's not afraid to lay wood on opposing players.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The tweet didn't say a decision has been made, just that there is interest. Nor does it say what the interest is. For all we know they want to keep him on the team at a reduced price as depth and for special teams. There should be no problem at all with that. Heath isn't ideal as a starter, but he is worth having at the right price and in the right role.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Keeping Jeff Heath isn't the problem. Keeping him as a starter is the problem. This forum will implode if the Cowboys re-sign Heath, but every team in the league needs players like him (special teamer, experienced reserve).

It's not just keeping Jeff Heath. It's keeping him, starting him, drafting Taco, drafting Hill, drafting an injury waiting to happen player in LVE, never valuing talent over cost. When you add those kinds of decisions over 20+ years it's easy to see why this club is the way it is.

cowboyec

Reaction score
that poor safety position.
it gets shorted every time.