Cowboys interested in CJ2K

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would rather we had any interest in Ben Tate, but I still think Johnson is fast enough. I doubt we have any interest and certainly not at twice as much what Tate got paid.

Ben Tate will be toting the rock for Cleveland.
Good move by the Browns at "only" 2 years 6.2 mil.

Last edited:

btcutter

Reaction score
Johnson just had surgery, and he's coming off a year of lots of attempts, but little production. He's just not the same guy he used to be.

For a cheap deal, I'd take him, but it won't be cheap.

I agree with cheap. Has to be cap friendly nor have lot of dead money in future years. I like an incentive laden contract.

I've watched a few Titan games last yr. Their OL was atrocious. If you think ours was bad...try their OL. Furthermore, he was the ONLY threat Titans has. Every team knows that you stop CJ you win the game. They have no legitamate NFL QB.

I agree he was not the CJ of 3 yrs ago but he is not Eddie George.

I think he has tread on his tires and with out OL and offensive weapons this is mutually beneficial.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
This would be good only for the chuckle it would give me towards the "disss is da newww era of da cowboyyyyyz. da youfff movement!!!" people.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I agree with cheap. Has to be cap friendly nor have lot of dead money in future years. I like an incentive laden contract.

I've watched a few Titan games last yr. Their OL was atrocious. If you think ours was bad...try their OL. Furthermore, he was the ONLY threat Titans has. Every team knows that you stop CJ you win the game. They have no legitamate NFL QB.

I agree he was not the CJ of 3 yrs ago but he is not Eddie George.

I think he has tread on his tires and with out OL and offensive weapons this is mutually beneficial.

I agree on the thread on tires part. He played a full 16 game season and his last tow games last year were two of his better games all year. Because he played hurt much of last year, I would be a bit worried about him going forward. But then again, maybe playing hurt had something to do with his sub-par season.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If the Jets do not get him, I would expect Fisher to go after him. That would make their team speed that much greater and help them compete better in that brutal division.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I agree on the thread on tires part. He played a full 16 game season and his last tow games last year were two of his better games all year. Because he played hurt much of last year, I would be a bit worried about him going forward. But then again, maybe playing hurt had something to do with his sub-par season.

He played hurt and they went to a man blocking scheme which made him take more hits.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Johnson just had surgery, and he's coming off a year of lots of attempts, but little production. He's just not the same guy he used to be.

For a cheap deal, I'd take him, but it won't be cheap.

Around 270 att which is about what he has avg the past 3 years.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ESPN just listed simple odds on where he might go and had "low" odds for all teams except the Jets and Rams.
They only totally ruled out a few teams but gave low odds all around in general.
Of ocurse, all it takes is one team.

BTW, they couldn't help gigging Dallas again by saying how they passed on Johnson in 2008 to take Felix Jones.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Both ESPN and NFLN love to use the Cowboys for ratings. One of the lead ins on NFL AM today was should the Cowboys still be Americas Team. They used it a few time this week for Total Access as well.

DFWJC

Reaction score
By far more than any other position, RBs tend to peak the earliest in their careers. Most of them have their best years within their 1st three years of being drafted. This makes them the perfect position to get on a 4 year rookie deal. Drafting backs is the way to go.
I'm actually happy for CJ, the he at least got paid high dollars for a couple of seasons. Problem is, he basically got paid mostly for what he had given them already. I sure can see why the Titans cut him loose after a coupe of years into that contract.

I bet most of us could not count on one hand how many FA running backs have made huge impacts on their new teams in the last 20 years.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
It would be nice irony having to sign the RB Garrett did not want to sign the one Phillips wanted.

Lol yea, I wasn't as mad about passing on CJ(among others) as I was about us passing on SJax but it was still a wth are they thinking moment

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ESPN just listed simple odds on where he might go and had "low" odds for all teams except the Jets and Rams.

BTW, they couldn't help gigging Dallas again by saying how they passed on Johnson in 2008 to take Felix Jones.

The Rams are a likely landing spot with the HC connection. I don't know why ESPN would giggle at the Cowboys taking Felix Jones over Chris Johnson when the Stealers did the same thing with Rashard Mendenhall. Actually when you look at the 1st round RB's there isn't a lot to get excited about. You have Darren McFadden in OAK, Jonathan Stewart in CAR, then Jones, Mendenhall and Johnson. 2nd round RB's that year were Matt Forte and Ray Rice. KC drafted Jamaal Charles in the 3rd round at 73.

Zordon

Reaction score
Context.

Dunbar is better than Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, and Tony Dorsett today, too.

Chris Johnson isn't what he used to be.

Why do you act like CJ2K has one foot in the retirement home? He can still play. His oline was crap the last few years in Tennessee and he hasn't had a QB to keep the defense honest. HIm with Demarco would be lethal.

6tytGXw.gif